Attention food lovers: J.J. Watt consumes around 9,000 calories a day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
When I was playing football, I had to eat a minimum of 5k a day. It's really hard for me to keep on weight and 5k a day got me up to 190...he has 100 pounds on me...

People don't realize that there's things you can do that most people wouldn't expect because you're in shape. For instance, I drank two 720 calorie shakes a day, and ate an entire box of mac n cheese in between my lunch and first dinner. I ate 4 big meals a day, and about half a gallon of milk per day (mixed in with protein drinks and other things.) The amount of cardio and lifting I was doing kept me at a relatively low body fat. It may not have been the healthiest route to take, but it's the route I had to take to get my body where it needed to be. This was just junior college. If my job was to be 290lbs of pure destruction, I would have made sure I did what I had to do.

iced

Joey Chestnut says : That's nothing !

In 10 minutes, Joey Chestnut ate 68 hot dogs to win the championship prize, the 28-year-old Chestnut took in nearly 20,000 calories, more than 1,150 grams of fat, over 400 grams of saturated fat and a whopping 48,300 milligrams of sodium. That's right, it took an entire 10 minutes.

must be a kardashian

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
When I was playing football, I had to eat a minimum of 5k a day. It's really hard for me to keep on weight and 5k a day got me up to 190...he has 100 pounds on me...

People don't realize that there's things you can do that most people wouldn't expect because you're in shape. For instance, I drank two 720 calorie shakes a day, and ate an entire box of mac n cheese in between my lunch and first dinner. I ate 4 big meals a day, and about half a gallon of milk per day (mixed in with protein drinks and other things.) The amount of cardio and lifting I was doing kept me at a relatively low body fat. It may not have been the healthiest route to take, but it's the route I had to take to get my body where it needed to be. This was just junior college. If my job was to be 290lbs of pure destruction, I would have made sure I did what I had to do.
Yea, I had to count calories in highschool and was over 4500+ with just my normal routine of food. Since I was in football, I was actually losing weight while I was doing this, which I though was insanity.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
It is actually easier for Watt. More muscle means more calories that are burned even at rest. If Watt took a day off and just laid in bed all day he would probably still burn 4000+ calories.

Swimming works a lot of different muscles though. So while active, I believe Phelps' body would demand more calories.
Yup, I'm fully aware that muscle burns calories 24/7. I knew a guy as big and muscular as Watt consumed a lot of calories, but to have a number like 9000 per day put out there blew my mind. It was newsworthy to me because of the fact that he has to consume around 9000 cals per day just to fuel his body. Dude is a beast.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Yea, I had to count calories in highschool and was over 4500+ with just my normal routine of food. Since I was in football, I was actually losing weight while I was doing this, which I though was insanity.
It wasn't a thing for me to consume over 4k in calories a day in high school, but I played basketball. All of that running and light weight lifting along with just having a high metabolism because I was young aided in my not gaining any weight whatsoever. I miss my youth.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
It wasn't a thing for me to consume over 4k in calories a day in high school, but I played basketball. All of that running and light weight lifting along with just having a high metabolism because I was young aided in my not gaining any weight whatsoever. I miss my youth.
Me too

fancents86

Starter
Title is misleading. I'm sure he gets in that much on his cheat days, but that's not everyday.

fearsomefour

Legend
Trying to get my son to consume 5000 calories a day has been nearly impossible. Skinny, tall kid who has a terrible time putting weight on.
One good snack I found was honey roasted peanuts and whole milk. Half a jar of honey rosted peanuts and a glass of whole milk is about 1,400--1,500 fairly healthy calories.

fearsomefour

Legend
Maybe so, but it's still insane.

I find Phelps count a little unbelievable, actually. But, I heard the same thing you did.
3 eggs, 2 pieces of toast, turkey sausage=450 calories
banana=100 calories
chicken breast, rice, veggies=600 calories
1/2 jar honey rosted peanuts, glass of whole milk=1,500 calories
lean steak, veggies, small potato=500 calories
bowl of berries=250 calories
gainer shake=1,100 calories....
This is typical of something I would give a guy trying to gain weight....pretty healthy food, trying to get plenty of protein in there, this still totals 4,500 calories.
9,000 is a crazy amount of food but is doable for sure. A lot of working out with that sort of intake too. The amount of time a guy would spend per day feeling like he wanted to throw up would take some getting used to. Takes some time to build up to it I am sure.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Because consuming 9000 calories per day and looking like that is actually newsworthy. And Michael Phelps did his DURING the Olympics. Watt does it on the regular now.

I saw that too. Phelps said 12,000 calories training for the Olympics. That is just crazy intake.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...12000-calorie-diet-just-a-myth/1#.Vc48l9_76tI

Michael Phelps: 12,000-calorie diet just a myth
By Roxanna Scott, USA TODAY

Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps says a story about him consuming 12,000 calories a day while training for the Beijing Olympics just isn't true.

At the 2008 Beijing Games, where Phelps won a record eight Olympic gold medals, a New York Post story with the headline: "Phelps' Pig Secret: He's Boy Gorge" reported he ate 4,000 calories for each meal.

Wednesday, Phelps told Ryan Seacrest in an interview that it was a myth.

"I never ate that much," Phelps said. "It's all a myth. I've never eaten that many calories."

Seacrest replied: "Good because I was starting to loathe you, that you could really eat all this."

Said Phelps: "I wish. It's too much though. It's pretty much impossible."

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/jj-watt-workout/

JJ WATT WORKOUT
Richie Allen | March 27, 2015 | Pro-Athlete Workouts

Screen-Shot-2015-03-10-at-3.57.40-PM.png

JJ Watt uses the safety bar squat to put less emphasis on his shoulders and more on his lower body.

JJ Watt is an absolute beast on the football field, winning multiple NFL Defensive Player of the Year awards and appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The 6’5, 295 lb. defensive end for the Houston Texans has legendary strength and a never-ending motor. On his NFL Combine day, Watt did 34 reps of the 225 pound bench press and has a 37″ vertical leap, which is very impressive for a man of his size.

watt-on-si-cover.jpg

JJ Watt’s work ethic and talent helped propel him to the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Legs are probably the most important body part to keep strong for football since your legs are where all the power and explosion originates from. The core is also another very important muscle group and this lower body routine incorporates a lot of indirect core training.

LET’S EXAMINE WATT’S LOWER BODY STRENGTH REGIMEN AS SHOWN IN THE VIDEO BELOW:

Safety Bar Box Squats
– This movement is performed the same as using the regular box squat except you will be using the Safety Squat Bar, which helps keep the bar high on the traps and forces more of the weight forward on the body. As a result, more stress is placed on the glutes and hamstring muscles.

Less stress is being placed on the shoulders, elbows, and wrists so you can focus more on your legs. Often times you have to stop your squat because of that additional stress being placed on the upper body with the bar. The safety bar really ensures that this doesn’t happen.

Safety Bar Chaos Reverse Lunges– This reverse lunge places less stress on the knees because the knees cannot extend beyond the toes. Also, the safety bar puts less emphasis on the shoulders, elbows, and wrists so you can focus more on your lower body. As you can see, Watt attaches kettlebells to the bar, which helps work on more his stabilizer muscles.

Partner Assisted Dynamic Kettlebell Swings– This exercise is great for working on hip movement and for conditioning the glutes and hamstrings. It’s a great way to incorporate resistance training with cardiovascular training. Kettlebell swings are initiated with a powerful hip thrust using your glutes and hamstring muscles.

These muscles, in conjunction with your lower back, are refered to as your “power zone” as they are strongly involved in virtually all lifting, running, and jumping movements, which is exactly what you use on the football field. Watt uses a partner to push the weight towards him, which helps work on more of his stabilizer muscles and provides a more powerful resistance.

Litvinov Prowler Sprints– This exercise consists of holding a kettlebell and performing 5 jumps, and then going right into a 20 yard high side prowler sprint. The kettlebell jumps are a powerful leg strengthener that helps build strong glutes and core. The prowler sled helps football players work on blocking skills while also improving their conditioning at the same time.

As you can see, Watt does both exercises as a superset, really incorporating all aspects of his legs and core into one grueling exercise. He rests 40 seconds (NFL playclock length) to mimic the intense environment of an NFL game.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuTwctHh_eE

Watt also does an upper body routine known as “Triceps Death” (shown below). This workout has been popularized by Joe DeFranco’s gym. This workout is typically used on upper body days to finish up the workout or even as a main workout. You start off with 65% of one rep max on bench press performing 5 repetitions with a one inch thick board on your chest. Then you do another 5 repetitions with 2 boards and then 3 boards and then 4 boards for a total of 20 reps.

By the time you finish that, your arms should be completely fatigued. This hits more of the triceps than the chest due to the limited range of motion with the boards. This is a great endurance workout that really taxes the triceps probably more than most other exercises. This could be why Watt has some of the biggest tricep muscles seen on a football field! Try this workout once and you’ll know exactly what I am talking about!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l7Mes2SBo4

fancents86

Starter
3 eggs, 2 pieces of toast, turkey sausage=450 calories
banana=100 calories
chicken breast, rice, veggies=600 calories
1/2 jar honey rosted peanuts, glass of whole milk=1,500 calories
lean steak, veggies, small potato=500 calories
bowl of berries=250 calories
gainer shake=1,100 calories....
This is typical of something I would give a guy trying to gain weight....pretty healthy food, trying to get plenty of protein in there, this still totals 4,500 calories.
9,000 is a crazy amount of food but is doable for sure. A lot of working out with that sort of intake too. The amount of time a guy would spend per day feeling like he wanted to throw up would take some getting used to. Takes some time to build up to it I am sure.

How small are these guys? That's like half of my daily meal plan. Lol.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
When I was in HS and after I graduated, I was training for triathlon, I trained hard. I didn't calorie count, but I know that I wasn't getting enough because I'd have to scale back certain things.

Sucks being 60 miles into an 80 mile ride and hitting the wall and then having to effectively limp home the last 20 on a little water and will power.

Doesn't surprise me at all that he takes in 9k. I was 6'1" and 155 and I EASILY was burning through 4-5k. Easily.

The biggest issue is doing it without all the saturated fats, trans fats and sodium which can really mess up hydration.

I ended up gravitating away from lots of dairy during training, but salty stuff? oof. Bacon is a killer. And hot dogs. LOVE 'em both, but dammit do those things just wreck the body's ability to hydrate.

50 slices? Yeah... that's a great way to screw up the cholesterol count (end up on a Statin after football) and to cause water retention issues. Some bacon is fine, especially with how hard he works. He's gonna deal with some of that cholesterol. But 50 slices? With how hard the heart works in big guys, the LAST thing you want is any chance for water to be retained improperly. With big numbers like these athletes use, it can be like a spinning top...it's all good until something knocks it off axis, then it can really go wrong.

Amazing stuff, though. And it proves that we were never meant to be this big and guys are only this big due to things like forced diets and stuff like that. When guys didn't do this, they were smaller. I dunno if that's good or bad.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Holy cow that's a lot of calories. I consume over 4000 calories a day and all I do is eat. Not that I'm complaining.