Attendance is an NFL Problem, not STL Rams problem

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
58,442 official attendance for @STLouisRams today, the worst team in NFL over last nine seasons.

Well, considering the "official" attendance of that Tennessee/Arizona game was 69,143, I don't think the official number means much.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, considering the "official" attendance of that Tennessee/Arizona game was 69,143, I don't think the official number means much.

Was that official attendance or ticket sales?

And either way...I was at the games yesterday and there was a good crowd there, probably close to the most I've seen in a couple years (except for a few openers/prime time games).

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I cannot believe the number of people who claim to be fans who say they have no use for actually going to the games. As someone said, DVR makes it possible to have the best of both worlds. I have had my season tickets since the 1999 Super Bowl season. Maybe it was the pure excitement that I experienced from that season, but I haven't missed a game, preseason or otherwise in the 14 seasons since. Anyone who says they can "see more" from watching on tv either has no idea what they miss when they are actually there, or have NEVER actually been to a game to compare it to. And there I no way that tv can ever do justice when it comes to conveying the atmosphere of the crowd noise. The random crowd shots do NOT portray what is really going on in the stadium.

And while it drives my family crazy, I record every HOME game and watch it AFTER I get home. All those "fans" who seem to gripe about long lines, price of beer, etc, are just looking for excuses not to be a part of the experience. I wouldn't trade it for the world, even through the rough years.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Was that official attendance or ticket sales?

And either way...I was at the games yesterday and there was a good crowd there, probably close to the most I've seen in a couple years (except for a few openers/prime time games).
It's the attendance number from NFL.com's game book. I've never seen a site that differentiates ticket sales vs. actual attendance.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I cannot believe the number of people who claim to be fans who say they have no use for actually going to the games. As someone said, DVR makes it possible to have the best of both worlds. I have had my season tickets since the 1999 Super Bowl season. Maybe it was the pure excitement that I experienced from that season, but I haven't missed a game, preseason or otherwise in the 14 seasons since. Anyone who says they can "see more" from watching on tv either has no idea what they miss when they are actually there, or have NEVER actually been to a game to compare it to. And there I no way that tv can ever do justice when it comes to conveying the atmosphere of the crowd noise. The random crowd shots do NOT portray what is really going on in the stadium.

And while it drives my family crazy, I record every HOME game and watch it AFTER I get home. All those "fans" who seem to gripe about long lines, price of beer, etc, are just looking for excuses not to be a part of the experience. I wouldn't trade it for the world, even through the rough years.

I agree 100% with your post. I'm from SD, but I scrape together enough money once a year to go to the home opener, because the feeling the gameday EXPERIENCE is like none other. Getting up the Sunday morning, going through tailgates, listening to fans from both sides clamor, seeing the players come in and actually getting to chat with them, watching warmups, getting pumped up with introductions, no commercials, yelling at the refs (we sit in 115 so they CAN hear us, unlike when I'm at home), getting players & coaches pumped up & vise versa, hearing the hits, feeling the momentum shift, celebrating with fellow fans in all directions after a great play as if we've known eachother our whole lives, yelling at the other teams fans, booing terrible calls, feeling like YOU had something to do with the W, chatting w/players coaches postgame/posing for photos & getting autographs, celebrating with fellow fans.

I agree Coach O, wouldn't trade my one game a year in STL for anything. I certainly would have never gotten SJ39's gloves in 2011 had I not gone to the game in STL. Plus being able to talk with the players pregame as they walk in, during the game because we sit 2 rows back on the 30, and after the game is the best.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm like you, Coach...I never miss a game unless I have to.

I don't DVR the games...I'm not big into trying to break down plays so it's just not my thing.

But the thing is...not every person who is going to be a butt in the seats are as fanatic as guys like us, they just aren't. Guys like us are much more the exception than the rule.

Casual fans fill the seats. Even fans that are a bit more than casual aren't going to go to every length possible to see the game. My brother is a great example of that. He loves talking Rams (any sport for that matter) and is up on all the news surrounding the team. He usually makes it to 4-6 home games a year...but he won't put it above important home projects or spending time with his girls. He makes a good point about it, says he has experienced most things in sports...he enjoys them greatly, but he knows he has experienced it and though he definitely looks forward to experiencing it again he can put other things first without feeling like he's missing out.

I don't know...maybe one day when I have kids I'll be more like that...but right now if I miss a game I'm really not happy about it.

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn

I DISAGREE 1000000%. I know every person on the roster, watch every game. I don't think going to the stadium makes you "more" of a fan. I won't disagree what everyone should attend a few games a year to soak up the atmosphere. But going to the game doesn't make you more of a fan. Going to games is for younger people, and that's a fact. My father would rather shoot himself in the foot then go to a game. Tickets, beer, hotdog and parking is easily 150.00 + that's crazy.. Owners are all ready millionaires they need to scale back ticket pricing. To say the cost of something is an excuse is BS. A lot of families cannot afford tot ake 3-4 loved ones along to a game and spend 200.00 +

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I DISAGREE 1000000%. I know every person on the roster, watch every game. I don't think going to the stadium makes you "more" of a fan. I won't disagree what everyone should attend a few games a year to soak up the atmosphere. But going to the game doesn't make you more of a fan. Going to games is for younger people, and that's a fact. My father would rather shoot himself in the foot then go to a game. Tickets, beer, hotdog and parking is easily 150.00 + that's crazy.. Owners are all ready millionaires they need to scale back ticket pricing. To say the cost of something is an excuse is BS. A lot of families cannot afford tot ake 3-4 loved ones along to a game and spend 200.00 +

Where did I say it makes one more or less of a fan. I said, that sitting in front of your tv, to avoid the crowds etc does NOT give you anywhere close to the same experience as being there.

There is NO WAY POSSIBLE for a televised game to accurately show you everything you can see when you are there. When you watch a game on tv, you are at the mercy of the director and what views of the game he chooses to show. Yeah, replay can give you a wider range on a particular play, but it does not show the entire field.

You cannot see when this receiver pops open as the play develops, only to have the QB throw the ball somewhere else. You cannot see the emotion or interaction on the sideline, especially during commercial breaks. Such as Fisher being on the field after a questionable call pleading his case with the officiating crew, sometimes in a very animated way. Unless the director of the broadcast wants to show it to you when they come back from commercial.

To say going to the games "is for younger people", well, I guess that makes me YOUNG at 55 years of age. Everything you list are nothing more than EXCUSES as to why people choose to stay home. And for YOU to tell me that sending my $$$ how I choose is CRAZY, is just as bad as you thinking I said it makes YOU less of a fan for staying home.

I have had TWO season tickets for the past 15 years. I know how much I will spend on parking, concessions, and gas before I leave my house for EVERY GAME. I do understand that not everyone has the luxury to afford it. But don't condemn us who choose to enjoy the game experience from INSIDE the stadium as CRAZY.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
There is NO WAY POSSIBLE for a televised game to accurately show you everything you can see when you are there. When you watch a game on tv, you are at the mercy of the director and what views of the game he chooses to show. Yeah, replay can give you a wider range on a particular play, but it does not show the entire field.

You cannot see when this receiver pops open as the play develops, only to have the WB throw the ball somewhere else. You cannot see the emotion or interaction on the sideline, especially during commercial breaks. Such as Fisher being on the field after a questionable call pleading his case with the officiating crew, sometimes in a very animated way. Unless the director of the broadcast wants to show it to you when they come back from commercial.
That, right there is why I still scrape together money to go to at least a couple of games a year.

For that I'll ignore the existence of the $12 beers and even the constant trendy player bashing by fans ... the latter to an extent.

It really is quite an experience to see the whole play develop.

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
CoachO - I didn't say people who want to go to the stadium are crazy. I simply said there are a lot of reasons why people don't want to go to the stadium. And they are very valid reasons.. I live in Denver, I go to 1 game a year and pick a team I'd love to see in person. The game experience is fun, and like I said everyone should experience. But at 29 years old I don't have the patience. I easily sit in 40 min of traffic leaving, long lines. Last time I went an idiot spilled his entire beer on my GF's new jersey..

There are pros and cons to anything. For me, I will give up seeing the entire play, or see what happens on the sidelines on commercial breaks for the comfort of my home. I'm glad you live close and support the team in the Dome.. We actually need more like minded fans, the dome should fill more seats