Atlanta could go OT in the 1st

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/4643/falcons-need-to-take-tackle-with-first-pick

ncf_u_jakemts_576x324.jpg

In February, it seemed logical to raise the possibility of the Atlanta Falcons trading up to draft South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.

But opinions can be altered. Such is the case for me in this particular scenario.

As of today, a little more than a month away from the NFL draft, the Falcons still need to add a game-changing pass-rusher. Yet shoring up the offensive line has to be the primary emphasis going into the draft.

True, the Falcons took a positive step by adding a stout pass protector in offensive guard Jon Asamoah. However, one single player can't make up for how atrocious Atlanta's line was in 2013.

If the Falcons stand pat with the sixth overall pick, they would be smart to target one of the top three offensive tackles: Auburn's Greg Robinson, Texas A&M's Jake Matthews or Michigan'sTaylor Lewan. I'd even be somewhat tempted to trade up for Robinson, considering his tremendous upside.

Solidifying the line will be critical for the Falcons' worst-to-first aspirations in the NFC South, following last year's 4-12 implosion. Matt Ryanlooked far from a $100 million quarterback because he was under extreme duress more often than not, and Atlanta couldn't rely on the line to clear holes in the run game to establish offensive balance.

The Falcons certainly believe Ryan would be among the league's best if given the time to throw. Former NFL executive Bill Polian, now an analyst for ESPN, told me he thinks Ryan is a Super Bowl win away from being labeled elite. But Ryan won't even lead his team to the playoffs playing behind the same tackles from last season.

In all fairness to left tackle Sam Baker, his sudden decline was primarily attributed to a lingering knee issue he had surgically repaired. Now the question is whether or not he'll regain the form he displayed during the 2012 season, when he played more like a first-round pick.

As for Lamar Holmes, it's hard to imagine the Falcons still sticking with him and touting him as a player with Pro Bowl potential, as they did last season. He could be a decent backup if he keeps working on his game and remains in shape.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Mike Smith talked about this draft being deep at offensive tackle. But the Falcons can't gamble on a later pick stepping in and contributing immediately to a team that should be in win-now mode, not the rebuilding phase.

Matthews seems like the most NFL-ready of the draft trio mentioned above. He certainly has the bloodlines, being the son of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews.

Folks wonder how Robinson will transition into pass protecting at the next level after coming from an Auburn program built around the run. Anyone who has stood next to the mammoth Robinson in a room would say he should have no problem keeping defenders off a quarterback.

Then there's Lewan, a guy with the kind of mean streak the Falcons are looking for up front. But is he too nasty, as his recent misdemeanor assault charges might suggest? Honestly, that shouldn't affect his draft status. Lewan reportedly worked out for the Falcons this week, according to NFL.com senior analyst and long-time NFL executive Gil Brandt

When I look at the Falcons going into 2014, I see a team that won't have it easy against a strong group of pass-rushers in the NFC South. I see a menacing duo in Carolina with Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson. I see a dangerous tandem in Tampa with Michael Johnson off the edge and Gerald McCoy through the middle. And I see pressure coming from every which direction in Rob Ryan's scheme down in New Orleans.

Eighteen of Matt Ryan's career-high 44 sacks last season came at the hands of the Panthers and Saints. Pressure contributed to Ryan throwing a career-high 17 interceptions, though he also attempted a career-high 651 passes.

No matter if the Falcons stick with a pass-happy offense or move toward a more grounded attack, they need to find a balance along the offensive line. Adding a tough line coach, Mike Tice, should have a tremendous impact, but Tice needs more talent to shape and mold.

The argument for the Falcons to draft a pass-rusher in the first round is understandable, particularly when you recall how the Falcons made Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith look like an All-Pro last season. I'm confident defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will make do, even without Khalil Mack or Clowney.

But Ryan won't make it through the season without better protection. That's why the Falcons need to tackle the issue with their first draft pick.

laramsoriginal

Starter
B.S

They must trade up with the rams for a 1st round pick in 2015.

Then rams can take Robinson/Mathews at #6.

RamzFanz

Damnit
B.S

They would HATE that they traded up and lost the best OL in the draft.

I think, that THEY think, they are contenders again with an OL.

I almost think this is a deal killer for a trade.

Looks like we are stuck with Clowney. Poor us. :)

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
If Atlanta can't get to the QB next year, Brees and Newton will shred them. Tice will be fine with Baker and Asamoah to provide veteran presence. Baker is a quality LT.

If they trade up, it's for Clowney.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
B.S

if the rams want either of these players i'm not sure they will be there at #6. i'm getting the feeling that teams don't want to spend a high 1st round pick on these qbs. if only one qb was taken in the top 5 then robinson and matthews will surely be gone.

laramsoriginal

Starter
If they trade up its for Clowney and not an OT. Falcons desperately need help with rushing the passer. They can go OT with their 2nd round pick. They can't find anything near Clowney's talent level in the early 2nd let alone in the entire draft

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Forget it.

Clowney is going #1 overall.

F. Mulder

Starter
Forget it.

But that would be ideal for having leverage for a trade down right? You have 1 to 3 QBs suddenly jumbled up and available and you are standing the the way at #2. Do you see it that way??

iced

Forget it.

I doubt it. Having O'Brien as a head coach is like having Martz as a head coach (QB Guru's).

If your Team needs a QB, you're holding the #1 overall pick and if there's a QB that is seen a potential franchise QB (especially since these coaches believe in their abilities) - they're going to grab 'em...Offensive coaches love their offensive players.. same thing for defenses..Just look at Fisher and his d-linemen picks...i mean hell we have 2 great book ends and we still may take Clowney lol.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I prefer the Rams just sit and take Matthews. If they move back to 6th he could be gone.

They could trade with Jacksonville for a third or something. Having Clowney on a bad team won't have any impact on the Rams, but if he goes to Atlanta and is as good as some think then the Rams could face them in the playoffs.

Or trade with Cleveland and play it safe. I think the Raiders might. Take an OT after losing Veldheers and Saffold. They need Oline badly.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
But that would be ideal for having leverage for a trade down right? You have 1 to 3 QBs suddenly jumbled up and available and you are standing the the way at #2. Do you see it that way??

Not so sure about that. I would hope the Rams want to stay fairly high up in this draft. I think they are targeting an OT, particularly Matthews. So who want a QB that badly in the top 6? I don't see one. Jax may go with Mack, Cleveland may go with Watkins and take a QB at #26, the Raiders seem to be happy with Schuab and may go OT, and Atlanta has Ryan and will go OT.

So there are 2 things at play here. I don't see anyone in the top 6 willing to give up much to trade up for a QB. And if the Rams trade down with Minny, they will be hopeful to settle for Lewan.

And I am very nervous about Lewan. Character issues, plus Ross Tucker and Greg Cosell slammed him yesterday. There is a definite gap between the top 2 guys and Lewan.

So I don't see Clowney going #1 as being a good thing at all for us.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I prefer the Rams just sit and take Matthews. If they move back to 6th he could be gone.

They could trade with Jacksonville for a third or something. Having Clowney on a bad team won't have any impact on the Rams, but if he goes to Atlanta and is as good as some think then the Rams could face them in the playoffs.

Or trade with Cleveland and play it safe. I think the Raiders might. Take an OT after losing Veldheers and Saffold. They need Oline badly.

I don't see the rams staying put at #2. Snisher is not conservative, they would rather gamble while acquiring additional picks.

Like I said, a future 1st rounder will due to jump up to number 2.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't see the rams staying put at #2. Snisher is not conservative, they would rather gamble while acquiring additional picks.

Like I said, a future 1st rounder will due to jump up to number 2.

You may be right. And it could totally burn Snead this time. He got burned in 2012 when he traded down and got stuck taking Pead. If he does it again this year, in the first round, and misses out on Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews, he could end up with egg all over his face.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes the Falcons will go OLT if both pass rushing prospects are off the boards. Yes with the QB cadre performances being less than desired & expected DE Clowney is the top prospect by a far margin. Texans will have their pick of the top two pass rushers in Mack & Clowney. Thus the Rams #2 with Clowney off the board is now up for trade but who want to trade up??? Nobody Rams go OT.....

Jags #3 who have switched to a 34 will not pass on best 34 LB'er Mack. Browns @#4 are a wild card being set @ OT's means WR Watkins would be a serious duo with Gordon. Raiders @#5 will go WR evans or OLT. The Falcons will be lucky to get the 3rd OT Lewan. TB @ #7 goes for Lewan OLT or LB'er Barr. Looks like the Vikings gets real lucky & gets their pick of all the falling QB's.

You may be right. And it could totally burn Snead this time. He got burned in 2012 when he traded down and got stuck taking Pead. If he does it again this year, in the first round, and misses out on Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews, he could end up with egg all over his face.

Snead got burned a bit already on the 2012 first round trade own when he selected Pead with the the earned pick from the tradedown with Dallas from 1.6 to 1.14.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
There sure are a lot of interesting scenarios.

I hope if Clowney goes first, the Rams can't get a trade down worth taking, and they take Watkins. They move up from 13 and get Mathews / Robinson.

Best case in my mind is Clowney slips to Rams and they trade up for Watkins / Mathews / Robinson.

One can dream.

jap

Legend
Don't forget about Cleveland. Those jokers want Johnny Football, and sliding down to #4 overall with extra picks won't be bad for our Horns at all. I would LOVE to see Snisher play Let's Make a Deal with the Brownies. :D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't forget about Cleveland. Those jokers want Johnny Football, and sliding down to #4 overall with extra picks won't be bad for our Horns at all. I would LOVE to see Snisher play Let's Make a Deal with the Brownies. :D
I would love that Brownie trade myself...but once the Texans take Jadeveon Rams take a OT or WR and then the Jags take LB'er Mack the Browns having stayed home would have the opportunity to take the top QB they want.

iced

that was the old regime