Athleticism: Fournette vs Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
These two have been compared throughout most of Fournette's college career. Fournette is definitely a force to be reckoned with but so far it's looking like Todd is the bigger athletic freak of the two.

Fournette ran a 4.51 40, which is pretty impressive for a guy who came in a little overweight at 240 pounds. Still, Gurley can easily run in the mid-4.4s and a lot of his ex-teammates swear he would've run a 4.3 if he hadn't been hurt at the Combine. Keith Marshall is one of the those teammates and he ran a 4.31 last year.

Fournette also had a pathetic vertical of 28.5". By contrast, Todd has a 38.5" vertical. Fournette skipped the broad jump but judging from his vertical I highly doubt he'd top Gurley's measure of 10'1".

I'm interested to see how Fournette performs in the rest of the drills but so far he doesn't seem nearly as fast or explosive as Todd. He's still a great RB though, it'll be fun seeing how these two compare in the pros.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
These two have been compared throughout most of Fournette's college career. Fournette is definitely a force to be reckoned with but so far it's looking like Todd is the bigger athletic freak of the two.

Fournette ran a 4.51 40, which is pretty impressive for a guy who came in a little overweight at 240 pounds. Still, Gurley can easily run in the mid-4.4s and a lot of his ex-teammates swear he would've run a 4.3 if he hadn't been hurt at the Combine. Keith Marshall is one of the those teammates and he ran a 4.31 last year.

Fournette also had a pathetic vertical of 28.5". By contrast, Todd has a 38.5" vertical. Fournette skipped the broad jump but judging from his vertical I highly doubt he'd top Gurley's measure of 10'1".

I'm interested to see how Fournette performs in the rest of the drills but so far he doesn't seem nearly as fast or explosive as Todd. He's still a great RB though, it'll be fun seeing how these two compare in the pros.

I wonder if most of these guys sandbag at the combine, because they dont want to over do things that may cause them to get injured. Bottomline though it all matters once your on the grass.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
4.5 at 240 lbs is pretty impressive. I just heard Shady McCoy had a 26 inch vert. It's more a measure of explosion as some of the best vertical jumps are from power lifters that perform cleans and dead lifts. Something about developing power in your hips...as opposed to your calves & thighs...as most would suspect.

I wonder if most of these guys sandbag at the combine, because they dont want to over do things that may cause them to get injured.
Probably the competitor in these kids takes over. Some even continue to participate if they get injured while there. At least you'd hope this would happen.

Last edited:

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder if most of these guys sandbag at the combine, because they dont want to over do things that may cause them to get injured. Bottomline though it all matters once your on the grass.

Doubt it. Way too much money to be earned and lost for people to sandbag at the Combine. Plus, the vertical is about as safe as you get when it comes to Combine drills.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
It's why Gurley's sophomore slump was so depressing. He's got the potential to be one of the greats. Wtf happened last year?

A55VA6

Legend
It's why Gurley's sophomore slump was so depressing. He's got the potential to be one of the greats. Wtf happened last year?
In my opinion.. the reason for the slump last season is a mixture of the OL underperforming and Gurley couldn't break many tackles. He needs to put some weight back on... Plus, he just seemed bummed out all last year. Did he not like the scheme or something? I just hope we see a bunch back year from Gurley. Because he's WAY better than he showed last year.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
In my opinion.. the reason for the slump last season is a mixture of the OL underperforming and Gurley couldn't break many tackles. He needs to put some weight back on... Plus, he just seemed bummed out all last year. Did he not like the scheme or something? I just hope we see a bunch back year from Gurley. Because he's WAY better than he showed last year.

I would say he didnt like the scheme, this would explain his demeaner in his interveiws. Very unenthused with what he later called a jr high offense.

fearsomefour

Legend
4.5 at 240 lbs is pretty impressive. I just heard Shady McCoy had a 26 inch vert. It's more a measure of explosion as some of the best vertical jumps are from power lifters that perform cleans and dead lifts. Something about developing power in your hips...as opposed to your calves & thighs...as most would suspect.

Probably the competitor in these kids takes over. Some even continue to participate if they get injured while there. At least you'd hope this would happen.
Squats too.....ass to grass.
Working with pitchers they are surprised when the core is squats, deadlift, pull ups and yes, bench.