At what price do you (Rams) keep Sam Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'd pay him ACL X 2 type money.
Sam doesn't have any leverage here(or anywhere else). I'll keep harping on it until i'm proved wrong.
I understand what you're saying but I disagree. This league is so starved for good QB's that even a guy coming off 2 ACL injuries will get offers/paid. Just on the "chance" that he remains healthy.

Bradford's play when healthy doesn't have a negative stigma and is actually quite the opposite. I think multiple teams would roll the dice on him even with the injury history because of his ability/potential. As bad as the Rams are at QB and as thin as the QB market is, I think Bradford's got the leverage. Maybe not in a huge way but I still think he's in a position to not be forced into anything contractually.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The leverage is this: What are our options?
Draft, free agency, trades, roster cut downs, possibly a new OC.
What are Sam's options negotiating from the training room for the 2nd straight season with his track record and his very average QB play up to this point in his career?

Hypothetically. Bear with me: What if Aaron Rodgers was a few years younger(just to allow for my comparison). What if Rodgers had spent the last four seasons putting up the numbers he has(MVP numbers)...and then Bam! He suffers consecutive season ending injuries(same knee twice for example). He leaves the Packers high and dry by missing 25 of the last 32 games. But he's rehabilitating and wants to come back. He's on the tail end of a fat contract similar to Sam's deal.

Lets assume it's this season and the free agent outlook going forward is gloomy.

So what would Aaron Rodgers be in a position to demand in terms of an extension or a new deal elsewhere on the open market? In your opinion of course.

ram007

Starter
If Rams needs a winning season in 2015 they need to draft a QB but let Sam Bradford start the season. If we continue to win with Sam, the drafted QB can sit and learn. There is no other way, IMO. Shaun Hill and Austin Davis are not the answers. So $13 million dollar for Bradford next year is OK with me.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'm pretty sure his contract is what it is, I'd be surprised if a cut is is worked out. (sorry, it just doesn't work that way in their world)

The Rams will do the due diligence and if it's assessed SB8 can make it back, he will and they will honor his contract - if they decide he can't, he gone (don't see that happening)

It's not Rocket Science

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
What are Sam's options negotiating from the training room for the 2nd straight season with his track record and his very average QB play up to this point in his career?

Hypothetically. Bear with me: What if Aaron Rodgers was a few years younger(just to allow for my comparison). What if Rodgers had spent the last four seasons putting up the numbers he has(MVP numbers)...and then Bam! He suffers consecutive season ending injuries(same knee twice for example). He leaves the Packers high and dry by missing 25 of the last 32 games. But he's rehabilitating and wants to come back. He's on the tail end of a fat contract similar to Sam's deal.

Lets assume it's this season and the free agent outlook going forward is gloomy.

So what would Aaron Rodgers be in a position to demand in terms of an extension or a new deal elsewhere on the open market? In your opinion of course.

20 teams including the Rams would mortgage their futures to get 1 year of decent Rodgers. Not in his prime Rodgers, but just a good Rodgers would put so many teams in SuperBowl contention.

Cortez1985

UDFA
Name
tez
I have a question for those saying pay Bradford his current contract and let him start. Say we do that and Bradford comes in and gets hurt in preseason. Not only does he take the starting reps from the rookie in training camp but now the whole offense gets held back another year because the rookie would need time to catch up. Or say Bradford stays healthy but because he hasn't had real game experience in 2 nfl seasons he starts off rusty and we lose or first few games and then they decide to either stick with him and again we have another maybe next year or they put the rookie in he struggles because of lack of starting reps in training camp and we once again miss the playoffs. Would you say it was all worth it. Not only the money but once again we have to hope maybe next year. Now don't get me wrong this is all just what if talk. But Im concerned how people just think Bradford will come back after 2 full nfl seasons of no real game time and not only fixed the issues he had in actually game time but exceed it with no rust

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
20 teams including the Rams would mortgage their futures to get 1 year of decent Rodgers. Not in his prime Rodgers, but just a good Rodgers would put so many teams in SuperBowl contention.
Aaron Rodgers in 2013 signed a 5 year / $110 million contract with the Green Bay Packers, including a $33,250,000 signing bonus, $54,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $22,000,000.

How much would a twice wrecked knee MVP Aaron Rodgers command next spring if he was Bradford's age(27)?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

A new OC wouldn't solve the QB need. Draft, free agency, trades and roster cut downs do not seem likely to produce a better option than Sam.

Now he won't have as much leverage as Rodgers would in your scenario, but it is a mistake to assume Bradford has no leverage.

All this said, I trust Snead to get us the best deal possible.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Now he won't have as much leverage as Rodgers would in your scenario, but it is a mistake to assume Bradford has no leverage.
Rodgers would get a pretty nice and maybe even semi-fat "prove it" deal don't you think? Based upon his body of work alone.

Sam has a poor body of work ON TOP of the injuries. He'll get the QB version of a Kenny Britt type-deal IMO.

We'll see. March is only a few months away. Crazy.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Rodgers would get a pretty nice and maybe even semi-fat "prove it" deal don't you think? Based upon his body of work alone.

Sam has a poor body of work ON TOP of the injuries. He'll get the QB version of a Kenny Britt type-deal IMO.

We'll see. March is only a few months away. Crazy.
The difference is that Kenny Britt *wasn't* the best option by a long shot at WR. Sam will be.

What I'm afraid of is we'll see him get a pay cut, but still pretty fat deal, and people will be saying Snead screwed up and drastically overpaid him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The difference is that Kenny Britt *wasn't* the best option by a long shot at WR. Sam will be.
That's pretty subjective at this point though. IF he can overcome the twice wrecked knee...he becomes one of the better options i agree. But even if he does, the reality is that he's never proven much when healthy. There are multiple risks involved here.

I guess i just don't share the opinion that the QB landscape(to replace Sam) is going to be quite as barren as many believe. It's hard to acquire a franchise QB i know...but if the Rams find themselves feeling "tied" to an injury-prone average QB just because it's going to take some hard work to replace him, thats a huge mistake IMO. And to be honest i don't think they will, and they will hold all the cards in negotiations because Sam will not be an even remotely "hot" commodity anywhere.

Hell, if Tampa drafts a QB i bet Mike Glennon gets a far better deal then Sam....based on durability and upside. Same with Brian Hoyer(Manziel scenario).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's pretty subjective at this point though. IF he can overcome the twice wrecked knee...he becomes one of the better options i agree. But even if he does, the reality is that he's never proven much when healthy. There are multiple risks involved here.

I guess i just don't share the opinion that the QB landscape(to replace Sam) is going to be quite as barren as many believe. It's hard to acquire a franchise QB i know...but if the Rams find themselves feeling "tied" to an injury-prone average QB just because it's going to take some hard work to replace him, thats a huge mistake IMO. And to be honest i don't think they will, and they will hold all the cards in negotiations because Sam will not be an even remotely "hot" commodity anywhere.

Hell, if Tampa drafts a QB i bet Mike Glennon gets a far better deal then Sam....based on durability and upside. Same with Brian Hoyer(Manziel scenario).

Glennon won't get a deal. He's still under his rookie contract. That's a big part of his appeal.

Hoyer won't get as much as Bradford. Hoyer has stunk up the field this year.

The QB landscape is pretty barren. And QBs get overpaid. I think the Rams are going to be quite cognizant that Bradford would get a solid prove it deal on the market.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Glennon won't get a deal. He's still under his rookie contract. That's a big part of his appeal.

Hoyer won't get as much as Bradford. Hoyer has stunk up the field this year.

The QB landscape is pretty barren. And QBs get overpaid. I think the Rams are going to be quite cognizant that Bradford would get a solid prove it deal on the market.
Yeah you're right, but i brought up those guys trying to prove a point more on commodity and open market value rather than "getting a deal" like i inaccurately spoke of...and i disagree, both those guys would be a hotter commodity than Sam at this point. Sam's upside is five years old now. It's still there, but fading very fast. Add to that the HUGE injury risk...no way.

I hope i'm right, that way we bring Sam back completely on our terms.

Boffo97

Name
Dave

We'll see how it turns out. I personally think it's going to take more than "hard work" to get a good QB if good QBs just are not there.

And if Snead goes into the likely negotiation with Bradford feeling that the Rams hold all the cards, we'll end up rallying around Shaun Hill.

But in the end analysis, I trust Snead to get something done.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah you're right, but i brought up those guys trying to prove a point more on commodity and open market value rather than "getting a deal" like i inaccurately spoke of...and i disagree, both those guys would be a hotter commodity than Sam at this point. Sam's upside is five years old now. It's still there, but fading very fast. Add to that the HUGE injury risk...no way.

I hope i'm right, that way we bring Sam back completely on our terms.

Glennon? Possibly. But you gotta trade for him. Hoyer? Nah. Guy has 11 TDs to 12 Ints in his 13 starts this year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What folks need to remember is that we're Rams fans. We've seen first hand for years now what Sam can and can't do(the negative and mostly the positive). On the open market concerning 31 other NFL GM's it's going to be a different animal.

He's the former Heisman trophy number one overall QB who has been injured off and on for six years now, has missed a ton of games,is coming off consecutive ACL tears...and has compiled a career 58.6 completion percentage, a QB rating of 79.3 and a win-loss record that has been sitting at 18-30-1 since October over a year ago.
Just sayin fellas. Thats who Sam Bradford is outside of this message board.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
What folks need to remember is that we're Rams fans. We've seen first hand for years now what Sam can and can't do(the negative and mostly the positive). On the open market concerning 31 other NFL GM's it's going to be a different animal.

He's the former Heisman trophy number one overall QB who has been injured off and on for six years now, has missed a ton of games,is coming off consecutive ACL tears...and has compiled a career 58.6 completion percentage, a QB rating of 79.3 and a win-loss record that has been sitting at 18-30-1 since October over a year ago.
Just sayin fellas. Thats who Sam Bradford is outside of this message board.

I see where you're coming from but...we've all seen what's happened to the likes of none other than Drew Brees, Matt Ryan & Philip Rivers and to a lesser extent Joe Flacco when they lose certain elite talent (which Sam has never had) around him, all of a sudden they miss the playoffs and their numbers nose dive.

How about 59 TD passes to 38 INT's playing for basically talent challenged teams?

If they deem his knee fit (jury still out) he'll be back, I don't see it playing any other way at this point.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im fine with playing out the last year of his contract, if he plays well resign him if not let him walk.

I agree. No extending his contract. If he plays well and stays healthy give him the market rate. If he gets injured again the rams can cut ties with no cap ramifications in future years. of course they would need to pick up a qb that they like in the draft as a plan b in case of injury.

reggae

I am assuming that the Rams want to keep Sam Bradford but I am also assuming (Could be totally wrong!) that the Rams won't keep him at his current salary. So, if you had to make the decision how much would you offer him (restructure) to remain a Ram?

Personally, I hope the Rams and Bradford can work out a restructure deal and I hope the Rams can get a couple good backups (FA and/or Draft Pick) in case he doesn't make it through the season.
he;s coming back. at 16 large. get over it