At the crossroads: Janoris Jenkins/TST

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

At the crossroads: Janoris Jenkins

By Tevin Broner

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/5/2/5660454/players-at-the-crossroads-janoris-jenkins

Last season, expectations were high for the second-year cornerback Janoris Jenkins. His play might have been up and down his rookie season, but he made splash plays with four interceptions and three touchdowns. That was great, especially for a rookie, and because of that, it was easier to look past his imperfections. However, last season those imperfections came to light more often than anyone thought they would.

Jenkins is an interesting player. He's a gambler on the field, and he has the fluid hips, speed and body type for a good corner. Coming into the league many called Jenkins one of the best man cover corners in the draft, hell, many people said he could play almost any type of coverage. However, that hasn't been the case so far in his career. When he plays off the receiver they beat him on short routes, and then there are times when he just flat out get's beat.

Here's Matt Miller from Bleacher Report on Jenkins. Jenkins ranked 69 out of 100 corners in his list.

After bursting onto the scene in his rookie year, Janoris Jenkins (5’10", 198 lbs, two seasons) came back to reality during his sophomore campaign. He is an aggressive corner who isn’t afraid to take chances and gamble on plays. That often leaves him out of position, which allows big plays to go the other way. This resulted in him giving up seven touchdowns, the fourth-most among cornerbacks. He possesses all the skills you look for in a shutdown corner, but he needs to learn when to go for a big play and when to play it safe and live for another down.

Let's look at the ProFootballFocus.com stats for Jenkins. He ranked 59 on their list of corners throughout the league. He's worst games were against the Indianapolis Colts and the Carolina Panthers (damn you Steve Smith). He had the second most penalties in the league, and quarterbacks averaged a passer rating of 115.3 against him. However, he did have 12 pass deflections.

To me the biggest issue that Jenkins has is consistency and awareness. Let's look at this play GIF'd by Brandon Bate.

This play is Week 17 against the Seattle Seahawks. Russell Wilson sees one-on-one coverage with Jenkins on Golden Taint. The route looks kind of funky to me so I won't comment on it. Jenkins is in okay position, until he decides to look up for the ball, when he does, he loses Taint and also ends up misjudging the ball. Jenkins is in a bad spot and he can't raise his arm high enough because he's balanced and can't jump high.

Jenkins has all the traits of being a pretty good cornerback, it's the little things that bother him. It will be interesting to watch the development of Jenkins under the Rams new defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams. This is Jenkins third year. It's doubtful that the Rams have given up on him, but he will have to make some strides this upcoming season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Me; I have no worries with Jenks.

These are young players. Frigg!

Give the man some time to show his moxie. This guy is a solid corner.

Rinse, repeat... Tavon and Bradford.

Alan

Legend
I see the exact same things I saw in his rookie year except that he was luckier then. I'm hoping that a change in scheme will help. :cautious: :unsure:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I've been critical of him. I want to see him learn more from his mistakes than I think he did. Of course, I could be wrong.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think maturity and a better scheme will translate into JJ becoming a very good corner.
He'll be 26 yrs old in October. Time to grow up Jenks. We need ya!

SierraRam

Recreational User
I think maturity and a better scheme will translate into JJ becoming a very good corner.
He'll be 26 yrs old in October. Time to grow up Jenks. We need ya!

He and Tru will be up in the receivers' faces this year. No more BS slant gimmies. JJ is fast enough to recover in press - I predict a bounce back

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If we let him play like he plays, then he will be more than fine, he will be great. If we insist on making him play 10 yards off the receiver, then the DC needs to be fired. Oh wait, we already did that. No worries then!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I see the exact same things I saw in his rookie year except that he was luckier then. I'm hoping that a change in scheme will help. :cautious: :unsure:

It drove me nuts last year watching our corners 5-10 yds off the los.
Easy first down for the other team.

Get them up on the line and knock those damn receivers off their routes.

lockdnram21

Legend
yea him and Tru were both better in press. Mcgee messed up that beautiful interception Jenkins had when he took it away from Brandon Marshall

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't think there was anyone more critical of Jenkins in his first year than me. I got aggravated at how often he gambled but I watched him more closely last year and I realized that he has skill that 9 out of 10 corners don't possess. I am not concerned about Jenkins at all since studying his game tape. He is just working out the wrinkles and will be a top 10 corner this coming year, I'm almost certain!

image.jpg

^Rewatching this game, he did a fantastic job on a WR (Vincent Jackson) which had an enormous height advantage.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm a big supporter of JJ aka... Jack Rabbit. Some of his "struggles" last year were a direct result of the scheme that Walton was using and calling.

He gets a bad rap because of his perceived off-field stuff,,, and he doesn't get nearly enough credit for his ON-FIELD play.

We are very fortunate to have him playing for us. I used to think that no defensive player was worthy of wearing #21 except My Boi Nolan Cromwell... but JJ has changed that for me.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm a big supporter of JJ aka... Jack Rabbit. Some of his "struggles" last year were a direct result of the scheme that Walton was using and calling.
I totally agree with this. I think he was better when playing press at the line of scrimmage and throwing the receiver off the route for their first 5 yards. When he played back in Walton's scheme it played against his strengths. I think this year we'll all see a big turn around. Also Williams won't let him gamble like that at the expense of a big play. He will call him out for it. Williams coming here was exactly what Jenkins needed to become a pro-bowl corner

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Let's face it; Walton is one and done for a reason.

If you watch enough football, the whole defense, regardless of where the statistics fall, regressed last year.

Jenkins, like several others, take a performance dip as a result.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Let's face it; Walton is one and done for a reason.

If you watch enough football, the whole defense, regardless of where the statistics fall, regressed last year.

Jenkins, like several others, take a performance dip as a result.
Well we can't say the whole d regressed, the mighty Quinn did ok:cool:
I do get your point though and think we'll be better all around this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well we can't say the whole d regressed, the mighty Quinn did ok:cool:
I do get your point though and think we'll be better all around this year.

Well, good point.

I suppose I could have said it more directed at the defensive philosophy being listless.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
JJ is at his best in man/press. He gets too nosy when he is in zone/off coverage. You need to fit your scheme to the strengths of the players you have.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes I agree
JJ is at his best in man/press. He gets too nosy when he is in zone/off coverage. You need to fit your scheme to the strengths of the players you have.
IMO the addition of GW to the Rams will greatly improve these young Ram DB's. What we saw last season will soon be forgotten. JJ TJ & McGee will look like different corners. I see even better results from these young safeties too. We need to add at least two decent CB's in the first two days of the draft and add a few third day safeties and we will be OUTSTANDING!

jap

Legend
Jenks' habit of reacting to where he thinks the QB is looking caught up to him midway through his rookie season. The experienced QB's such as Rodgers and the Man called Brady would get him to jump too soon with pump fakes, then caught him in no man's land while they went deep. I wanted him to grow past this in his sophomore campaign. Unfortunately, the sagging coverage scheme of yesteryear stunted any real development along those lines.

The young kid is very bright in football sense but has to grow & learn like everyone else. Once he learns how to lull even the elite QB's to sleep, watch out!