Assuming Fisher gets fired (Goff and offensive coordinator)...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Does anyone else feel uncomfortable that, if Fisher gets fired, Goff will be working with another offensive coordinator?

He's "not ready" 7 games into the regular season. This can realistically mean one of two things: Fisher is being stubborn and insisting he isn't ready when he actually is, or he truly isn't grasping the offense and isn't ready.

Both scenarios are concerning for different reasons. But, regardless of reason, if Fisher is fired, and subsequently the coaching staff blown up, then Goff has to learn a new offensive system. That can't be good for Goff unless we get an incredibly gifted QB guru to wipe his brain and coach him up in time for next year.

Thoughts?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Good news Fisher isn't getting fired this season!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No, it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable.

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should have included a disclaimer.

I am in no way FOR keeping Fisher. I hope he gets fired and never coaches in the NFL again.

That being said, I feel for the young guy. I hope he doesn't have to go through a revolving door of offensive coordinators which will undoubtedly happen if Fisher is retained. I guess Fisher getting fired and Goff learning a new system is a necessary evil.

I just don't like it. But I would be ok with it, considering the alternative. :p

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I am in no way FOR keeping Fisher. I hope he gets fired and never coaches in the NFL again.
Seems unnecessarily vindictive to want him to never coach again.
What do you care if he gets another gig? Maybe you'll get your wish and he gets the SF job.

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems unnecessarily vindictive to want him to never coach again.
What do you care if he gets another gig? Maybe you'll get your wish and he gets the SF job.
I stand corrected!

But honestly, the way things are going, becoming the losingest coach in NFL history would be quite the accomplishment for Fisher. I think he would quit on that high note.

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Does anyone else feel uncomfortable that, if Fisher gets fired, Goff will be working with another offensive coordinator?

He's "not ready" 7 games into the regular season. This can realistically mean one of two things: Fisher is being stubborn and insisting he isn't ready when he actually is, or he truly isn't grasping the offense and isn't ready.

Both scenarios are concerning for different reasons. But, regardless of reason, if Fisher is fired, and subsequently the coaching staff blown up, then Goff has to learn a new offensive system. That can't be good for Goff unless we get an incredibly gifted QB guru to wipe his brain and coach him up in time for next year.

Thoughts?

Nope.
And the reason is Fisher is not going to get fired.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You don't keep a crappy offense around for the sake of continuity. Bite the bullet and bring in some real minds to coach these guys.

WestCoastRam

Legend
We're tied to Goff for the next few years, not Fisher (unless he got that extension, ugh). I'm worried that Goff isn't what he was advertised to be and Fisher sees it but even if that's the case, we need to bring in a coach who can at least try to turn around a bad pick.

Rambo

UDFA
I dont think him not grasping the offense is the issue, its the O line. They dont want to get him killed.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
I just find it hard to believe he could be some sort of "bust." I really think fisher is just stubborn. Or maybe he's afraid Jared goff won't run up the middle every play and he'll check to some passing plays. Who knows. Just wanna see the kid play

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
At this point, it might behoove Goff to be working with someone else. Someone that allows him to develop and it just might coincide with more victories for Los Ramos...I would embrace the opportunity for this team to go in another direction.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
No, his time to date has been valuable even though it hasn't been under center. Goff has digested a lot, like Junior College pre req's the credits are transferable.
The good news is that no matter how much a new coach changes personnel it is not that difficult to get to 7 - 9 and be right where we are now.

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
I don't see Fisher getting fired yet.

I'm trying to figure out why...IF...Goff is ready, does it matter that he has to learn another offense next year??? We know Keenum is basically holding down the starting job and he's most likely gone as his contract ends when the season does.

Goff is going to take his lumps...all rookies do. What's wrong with smoothing out some of the lumps by holding him out and giving him the best opportunity to succeed?

I haven't seen Goff since preseason and neither has anyone else I know of. Can someone tell me what they've seen Goff do that shows he's ready? All we're hearing is that he's made good progress and his reps are going to be stepped up.

I'm for Goff getting his shot, but only when he knows what's going on. I know Fishers not worried about his arm....it's his mental that's they're concerned with.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
This is why I stated at the start of the season that its incumbent upon the organization to install a system that would have helped eased Goff into the starting role. Honestly, the SF gameplan was run, run, run-with very little in the way of QB play. Your telling me Goff couldnt have played in that game? If indeed Boras and Fisher get fired and a new system is installed, this entire season would have been a waste for a young QB. No experience, new offense, no feel for his team mates...for what?? Somebody above Fisher must step or make a change. To me, the entire season is now about developing Goff. No chance for playoffs in 16'.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think him not grasping the offense is the issue, its the O line. They dont want to get him killed.
Pass pro hasn't been terrible, many of Keenum sacks are on him.
Not all pro level but this isn't some trainwreck

As for the downside of working with another OC next season?
Well it doesn't appear he's working with the current one since he's not playing so its a non factor for me

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't see Fisher getting fired yet.

I'm trying to figure out why...IF...Goff is ready, does it matter that he has to learn another offense next year??? We know Keenum is basically holding down the starting job and he's most likely gone as his contract ends when the season does.

Goff is going to take his lumps...all rookies do. What's wrong with smoothing out some of the lumps by holding him out and giving him the best opportunity to succeed?

I haven't seen Goff since preseason and neither has anyone else I know of. Can someone tell me what they've seen Goff do that shows he's ready? All we're hearing is that he's made good progress and his reps are going to be stepped up.

I'm for Goff getting his shot, but only when he knows what's going on. I know Fishers not worried about his arm....it's his mental that's they're concerned with.
Sadly, I don't see it either, but I'm really not so sure that he'll be extended after this year.

And to that point you made, I actually think it's to Goff's advantage, should he actually play the latter half of this season to learn a new system next year, and I think about this on multiple fronts. First, I want defensive coordinators to have to forget everything they gleaned about the Rams on from tape last year. Second, I just think a rookie coordinator is a bad combination for a rookie quarterback. Third, I think it's obvious that this new coordinator needs to take a long hard look at what is and isn't working, to include individual player evaluation, all of them, even the fan favorites.

I don't hate on anybody, least of all Fisher for the losing streak this team has been on. I'm just thinking that it's time for a fresh set of eyes on the problem. And I agree with whomever mentioned that they should really look at bringing in some outside help even now.