Asked and Answered

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
From the moment Sammy Watkins was baited into expressing his feelings about his number of touches, a cascade of attention has been placed on his answer every press conference. every message board, and every media opportunity to talk about the Rams. As soon as Sammy’s response became public, Sean took him behind closed doors, turned on the film, and clarified in detail exactly what was happening. Sean was open about that conversation to the media back then but weeks later, those questions still persist.

Fortunately, the plethora of repetitive questions on the same subject has yet to change the team’s approach. This is a fine example of McVay’s consistency in the face of pressure. If he changes the offense even a modicum amount for us fans and his critics, he becomes less authentic. By now, we know that won’t happen. The same message is parroted now by Sammy, Jared, Matt, and anyone else in the building probed for information.

The general answer is now obvious, Sammy will get his touches, Robert will get his touchdowns, Tavon will get his opportunities, Lance will see the field....when the staff implements it’s gameplan and the defense cooperates. All decisions will be made with the team’s success foremost while trying to let every player know they are important and have the chance to contribute based on their specific and special skills.

Now let’s look behind the Wizard’s Curtain at what Sean said to Sammy that he won’t say to us. The following is my imagination, but I believe elements of it are relevant.

Sean: “Sammy, you know you’re an important part of our team and we value you significantly or we wouldn’t have sacrificed what we did to obtain you. That hasn’t changed, do you know that?”

Sammy: “Yes, sir. You know I wasn’t criticizing you or Jared when I said what I did, right?”

Sean: “Of course I do. But you know that if we don’t phrase things well...high profile players like you will attract undue scrutiny and bad assumptions. In the future, we need to only talk about team goals, criticize ourselves, compliment others, and then these problems won’t become an issue. Do you understand?”

Sammy: “Yes, sir”

Sean: I knew you would and I trust you so I won’t talk of this further. Now, let’s turn our attention to the plays we have run that should’ve been big plays for you but I didn’t do a good enough job of making sure we were successful. (Sean reviews a handful of plays). Now, let’s look at the plays where the defense took you out of consideration for Jared. Now let’s see the times Jared made a bad read and I addressed it. Here are a few clips where linemen got beat and we couldn’t get the ball to you. Do you think we should call out our fellow teammates and coaches?”

Sammy: “Of course not, yet I’m the one getting called out for not completing that deep route. We both know I’ve run dozens of those as decoys, I really thought that was the same. Can you blame me?”

Sean: “Here’s where we get the chance to learn together. I should’ve communicated more clearly that every route run matters and depending on what Jared sees in a split second, everyone needs to be prepared to get the ball. Our plan is to make every route concept relevant and sometimes, depending on how the defense reacts, anyone can get the ball. We have to work together as 11 pieces of one whole. Again, let’s put this behind us even if the press won’t. So, what’s our focus?”

Sammy: “Run every play perfectly and trust the process, not the results.”

Sean: “And if we do that?”

Sammy: “We give ourselves a chance to win our next game”

Sean: “And if we win enough games?”

Sammy: “We give ourselves a chance to compete in the playoffs”

Sean: “And if we trust the process there?”

Sammy: “We give ourselves a chance to be World Champions and the accolades and money will flow from that.”

Sean: “Shhhhhh... let’s keep that our little secret. We can let leoram on ROD make that known ... it can’t come from us, got it?”

Sammy: “got it”.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don’t give up a 2nd round pick for a guy to have 50 yards over the last 4 games. The fact is he isn’t being targeted in the passing game at all. That 2nd round pick is too valuable to give up not to make it an effort for him to get at least 7 targets a game right now he is getting about 1 target per game over the last 4 games

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don’t give up a 2nd round pick for a guy to have 50 yards over the last 4 games. The fact is he isn’t being targeted in the passing game at all. That 2nd round pick is too valuable to give up not to make it an effort for him to get at least 7 targets a game right now he is getting about 1 target per game over the last 4 games

This is the sunk cost fallacy. McVay needs to focus on winning, not feeding Watkins.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the sunk cost fallacy. McVay needs to focus on winning, not feeding Watkins.
That’s true not saying it’s not but the way it’s looking as of now Watkins is a 1 yr rental that doesn’t match the cost that we gave up for. Now all that can change in our next 9 games and into the post season but 50 yards in 4 games not a good look

…..

Legend
That’s true not saying it’s not but the way it’s looking as of now Watkins is a 1 yr rental that doesn’t match the cost that we gave up for. Now all that can change in our next 9 games and into the post season but 50 yards in 4 games not a good look
Sammy has 29 targets this year, not even in the top 100 in the NFL and 4th on the team, just 2 ahead of Tyler Higbee.

Maybe we'll catch someone off guard and see a monster game sometime. Or...maybe He's the rental you refer to. If he does end up being a one year Ram, I think he needs to bear some of the responsibility. He hasn't exactly been the model of consistency.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If he's a one-year rental, so be it. Our 3-1 record in those four games is a very good look. ;)

So yea, I'm not concerned about Watkins' production. If he breaks out over the second half of the year, we're a better team for it. If he doesn't, that's life. He'll move on. All I care about is winning.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sammy is just fine.

He needs time to get familiar with the plays. We can all see that.

And the last 3 games were against some good defensive CB’s.

I’m looking forward to putting some ROD dollars on him today.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
If he does nothing else he takes the other teams number one CB which leaves the other guys with more possibilities. The NFL is all about winning and as long as the team wins these players will come around. However, if the team is losing then these issues become inconsolable. Everyone will buy into the "we not me" if the team wins. What is the old saying winning cures everything. I believe if the team continues to play well Watkins and Tru will be back next year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Brian Quick disagrees.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good point.
Saw this with Austin and Fishers O.
Forcing touches.
It made some sense then but now the Rams just have too many other players.
It sort of stood to reason. If Gurley is getting 30 touches in the run and pass game.....well, you know.
I suspect McVay and Snead (from Snisher to McSnead?) paid the price they did because they wanted Watkins long term. I think they will make every effort to resign him.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he does nothing else he takes the other teams number one CB which leaves the other guys with more possibilities. The NFL is all about winning and as long as the team wins these players will come around. However, if the team is losing then these issues become inconsolable. Everyone will buy into the "we not me" if the team wins. What is the old saying winning cures everything. I believe if the team continues to play well Watkins and Tru will be back next year.

Yeah winning hides a lot of things so let’s hope that continues but right now I don’t see TrU coming back unless he takes a massive discount he’s going to get around 40-50 million in guarantees from somebody and Watkins if his targets don’t increase he’s gone. He might go to the eagles or Chargers or the lions or Texans teams that’s definitely going to get him the ball.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good point.
Saw this with Austin and Fishers O.
Forcing touches.
It made sense some sense then but now the Rams just have too many other players.
It sort of stood to reason. If Gurley is getting 30 touches in the run and pass game.....well, you know.
I suspect McVay and Snead (from Snisher to McSnead?) paid the price they did because they wanted Watkins long term. I think they will make every effort to resign him.

With Fisher it was different Austin was the only consistent receiving threat. I’m only saying it’s a little odd to give up a 2nd rd pick to only essentially ignore the guy. You don’t have to force passes to him but to go a whole game with only 1 target why give up that pick if he is only going to be a decoy.

If you wanted a decoy you could have made Reynolds into one and maybe some of those deep passes would actually work because the defense isn’t expecting Reynolds to beat them deep. You develop a young wr and keep your 2nd round pick

fearsomefour

Legend
With Fisher it was different Austin was the only consistent receiving threat. I’m only saying it’s a little odd to give up a 2nd rd pick to only essentially ignore the guy. You don’t have to force passes to him but to go a whole game with only 1 target why give up that pick if he is only going to be a decoy.

If you wanted a decoy you could have made Reynolds into one and maybe some of those deep passes would actually work because the defense isn’t expecting Reynolds to beat them deep. You develop a young wr and keep your 2nd round pick
Yep.
We shall see how it works out over the course of a full season. Time will tell.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame

This is it. it's the DJax effect McVay had in Washington; he didn't get all the tosses but he definitely freed up everyone else. Watkins has to realize this is going to happen on a good team and be ok with it if he wants to win.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm convinced that at least 3/4 of the bitching about Sammy's statistical production comes from guys who have him on their fantasy teams.

Ram65

Legend
Sammy has 29 targets this year, not even in the top 100 in the NFL and 4th on the team, just 2 ahead of Tyler Higbee.

If he does nothing else he takes the other teams number one CB which leaves the other guys with more possibilities.

That's a positive. If he is only getting 29 targets in 7 games he must be getting lots of attention. I sure would like to see some video of how teams are defending Sammy. Even during the game they could put together 3-5 routes and show us what's going on. It's a big topic for all Rams fans. His best game came against the Whiners who as I understand it play one high safety. I hope they get things straighten out on the deep passes. Rams need to have a deep threat that actually gets the passes completed too and not just be a decoy.

Last edited: