As Rams start roster cuts, QB Davis hanging by a thread/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've been watching a few games...these old SEC QB's, McCarron, Murray, and Mettenberg look damn good...You know what I think of Brett Hundley...Well, I'm glad we got Case instead of Davis ready to go...But I think Fisher is smart to get Mannion reps...He's probably better than both. Davis had his opportunity...I wish we could trade him for something, but as I was saying about those SEC QB's, I see something in THEM that I never saw with Davis...ability...decent arm talent...awareness...
I wonder if Clairborne is going to the PS? Travon Reed is from Auburn, and I see something there...He's got some talent...With a lil work....may have something there. Clairborne needs to really work on his speed & quickness. Keep training...I think he can play this game at a high level.
McGee...ahahahahhaha...I tell ya, dude has something you can't coach, speed....and some heart too...I'm still not cutting him...IR at the worst.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just felt like calling people out with an ostrich picture for their optimism and excitement was distasteful and inaccurate.

Fair enough sir, but I also felt we should post our concerns...I'm excited as well, but as a Ram fan I'm cautiously optimistic...The ostrich reference was more for the people who were killing individuals like myself for pointing out the obvious issues in preseason so in that realm, IMO, a picture is worth a thousand words.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not sure why Keenum gets the default "nod" from so many around here. Davis played pretty well for us considering it was really his first live game action with the starters. What exactly has Keenum done to deserve the job? One long pass to Givens? One decent game against another teams backups? Davis' career rating is nearly 10 points higher than Keenums, and he did not have the luxury of playing with Arian Foster and Andre Johnson.Not saying I don't like Case, I just don't see the separation from him to AD the same as many others.
I think it's gonna boil down to personality and I shit you not. Keenum and Davis have similar strengths and weaknesses, though Keenum has a livelier arm. But the one thing that separates them is that Keenum is a fucking maniac on the field when things are going right. He starts to really take command and gets really animated and excited.

And Fisher loves that. Eats it up. He loves guys who love the game, and I think that's gonna be the deciding factor. I also think that's why they gave up a pick to get him back. He really didn't want to lose him in the first place, but Houston's situation being what it was last year made it hard to keep him on the PS.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I think it's gonna boil down to personality and I crap you not. Keenum and Davis have similar strengths and weaknesses, though Keenum has a livelier arm. But the one thing that separates them is that Keenum is a freaking maniac on the field when things are going right. He starts to really take command and gets really animated and excited.

And Fisher loves that. Eats it up. He loves guys who love the game, and I think that's gonna be the deciding factor. I also think that's why they gave up a pick to get him back. He really didn't want to lose him in the first place, but Houston's situation being what it was last year made it hard to keep him on the PS.

He should never have been on the PS in the 1st place if Fisher/Snead liked him that much. They could have carried him, Hill, and Davis all on the 53 man roster.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think it's gonna boil down to personality and I crap you not. Keenum and Davis have similar strengths and weaknesses, though Keenum has a livelier arm. But the one thing that separates them is that Keenum is a freaking maniac on the field when things are going right. He starts to really take command and gets really animated and excited.

I can see that being the case (pun intended) as well. I think AD had a similar fire, but maybe it did not play as well with the coaches and team (see Cook's shove on the sideline). Case does appear to have a stronger arm, especially on intermediate throws from what I have seen. My only point was that I do not see a huge difference between the 2. I did like a lot of what I saw from AD last year and I think the kid can play in this league. I feel pretty much the same about CK and will root equally for him if he wins the job. Truthfully, I hope we never see either one of them play a regular season snap in Horns if you know what I mean.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He should never have been on the PS in the 1st place if Fisher/Snead liked him that much. They could have carried him, Hill, and Davis all on the 53 man roster.
It was a gamble, but they figured he was safe until Houston found themselves needing a QB, and then it happened quickly. Plus, you don't carry 2 backup QBs on the 53. Hill and Davis had much more exposure to the offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keenum has had a great pre-season. Remember that the coaches are watching every play. I can think of 2 nice pass plays that Keenum pulled off that were called back because of penalty. Just because they dont showup in the stat sheet doesnt mean they didnt happen....
Davis only hope is if Mannion goes on IR with a sore bunnion or something

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Everytime I read this thread title it appears as "QB Davis hanging himself." Do I hate the man, no. It's just time to move on.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://nflspinzone.com/2015/09/01/st-louis-rams-roster-predictions-2-0/2/
St. Louis Rams Roster Predictions 2.0
by Matt LaPan 5h ago

Quarterbacks

Matt’s Prediction

Starter: Nick Foles

Backup: Case Keenum

Third String: Sean Mannion

The quarterback depth chart has clarity following the past two preseason games. Nick Foles will enter the season as the Rams starter, as expected. It has become clear that Case Keenum is the clear backup quarterback. His preseason performances have been impressive, leaving some to ask if there is a quarterback controversy. While that is unlikely, Keenum is the clear choice for a backup spot.

Sean Mannion has a firm grasp on the final quarterback position. The rookie has progressed a great deal during the preseason, and appears to have a bright future.

I call bull crappy on that about controversy, but the rest is easy....right?

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams cut 13 players, including cornerback who punched Dez Bryant
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...s-including-cornerback-who-punched-dez-bryant

Most significant move: There's not much in the way of surprises for the Rams in the initial round of cuts, with the minor exception of cornerback Imoan Claiborne. Claiborne flashed potential in the preseason with an interception in the opener against Oakland and a pass breakup on a deep ball against Indianapolis. But Claiborne likely will be remembered most for punching Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant in the face during the brawl between the two teams in Oxnard, California. Coach Jeff Fisher called Claiborne a practice squad candidate, but the Rams kept two other undrafted rookie corners ahead of him for the preseason finale, so it would seem to be no sure thing that Claiborne will stay with the team.

Fifth corner spot up for grabs? Earlier this week, Fisher said there are four cornerback spots locked down, which would leave room for some competition for a potential fifth spot. Brandon McGee is still on the roster and would seem to be the favorite among those remaining. But McGee also hasn't been on the field much in the past year and hasn't had major contributions in two-plus years at the NFL level. Undrafted rookies Trovon Reed and Montell Garner are also still around. But don't be surprised if the Rams look outside the building for a veteran to add depth.

What's next: The Rams must get the roster down to 53 players by Saturday at 4 p.m. ET. First, they'll wrap up the preseason against the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday night at 8 p.m. ET.

Rams cuts: ((OT Steven Baker, (OT Travis Bond, (CB Imoan Claiborne, (S Jay Hughes, LB Keshaun Malone, LS Tyler Ott, (K/P Michael Palardy, WR Tyler Slavin, TE Brad Smelley (waived/injured), (LB Korey Toomer (waived/injured), C David Wang, WR Damian Williams (contract terminated), DT Doug Worthington. CB E.J. Gaines (foot) was placed on injured reserve. The team previously waived/injured receiver Isiah Ferguson, who has reverted to injured reserve with a torn ACL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
His preseason performances have been impressive, leaving some to ask if there is a quarterback controversy.
dumb.gif

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Exceptionally!

The guy playing the 1st stringers looked worse than guys throwing against second stringers and fourth stringers... I'm not saying controversy, but look out Foles.