Article: Rams DMVP aside from AD? Lamarcus Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Love Wade Phillips talking about the Hard Knocks part lol.

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...e-mvp-outside-of-aaron-donald-lamarcus-joyner

Rams' defensive MVP outside of Aaron Donald: Lamarcus Joyner

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. --Lamarcus Joynerdidn't understand it. He excelled as a safety in college, but couldn't play there in the pros. Three years of his NFL career went by and Joyner was used exclusively as a slot corner by theLos Angeles Rams, which meant he usually only played in about two-thirds of the defensive snaps.

"To me, it was like having a million-dollar check you can't cash because the bank just don't want to accept it," Joyner said. "It's not that it's not legitimate; they just don't want to accept the check."

That all changed with the new coaching staff. The Rams opted against bringing back long-time safetyT.J. McDonald-- who wound up being suspended for the season's first eight games -- because they believed Joyner needed to be on the field at all times.

It didn't take long, either.

"We came in, we watched the film from the year before, and we said, 'This guy's one of our best players, and he only played half the time -- what should we do?'" Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips recalled. "We said, 'Well, let's play him all the time then.' It sounds simple, but he's too good a player not to be on the field, in my opinion. And he thought the same way. I saw 'Hard Knocks.' I think he felt the same way."

Yeah ... that.

HBO's "Hard Knocks" followed the Rams through training camp last year. And one of the more memorable episodes included Joyner being so upset about his limited role that he decided not to show up for practice one morning. It took a heart-to-heart from former coach Jeff Fisher to convince him to even stay with the team.

Phillips teases Joyner constantly about that.

"I didn't mind it being out," Joyner said. "You had people saying, 'Why's this guy complaining?' Everybody from the outside looking in thought that the grass was green on the other side. And once that got out, I wanted everybody to know my frustration.'"

Joyner, who still sees occasional time at slot corner in subpackages, is currently the NFL's fourth-highest-graded safety by Pro Football Focus, behind only theMinnesota Vikings'Harrison Smith, theChicago Bears'Adrian Amosand theTennessee Titans'Kevin Byard. He has three interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown, and nine passes defended. And that doesn't even begin to explain his value.

"He doesn't have great size," Phillips said, "but he makes plays all over the field."

Joyner is only listed at 5-foot-8, but he has great length and surprising strength.

"He's a great athlete," Rams coach Sean McVay said, "but then he's also fearless."

Joyner played safety as a sophomore and as a junior at Florida State. But he was moved to slot corner for his senior year in 2013 because NFL teams questioned his coverage ability and scouts believed he would be better served in a tighter space. Joyner still bristles at that. He'll tell you his transition to NFL slot corner as a rookie in 2014 was a lot more difficult than his transition to NFL safety as a fourth-year player in 2017.

"It’s something I’ve been doing all my life, in little league, high school, college -- I was an All-American safety in college," Joyner said. "I wanted to show the league that I can cover and can do both -- I can play slot corner; I can play safety. And unfortunately, no one gave me the benefit of the doubt that I can play safety in this league."

Phillips did, and now the Rams are reaping the benefits.

So is Joyner, who is on the last year of his rookie contract and has seen his value increase significantly this season.

"I just felt like I had a talent that I wasn’t given an opportunity to present in this league," Joyner said. "And it was very frustrating. One year is enough, but three years? I just put my faith in the lord, knowing that someday it would come and I was going to get an opportunity."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just can't stop laughing with these articles the same silly line keeps coming to mind. But he's too short to play safety!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Truly a surprise to me....bunch of Florida guys have said they saw this in him....bunch of you...So, hat's off....and crow being eaten....I actually wanted to wait for a double dose of crow...but some player just won't get off my....not convinced list..

I bet he's priced himself outta our market....

And....I never said too anything...other than slow....and small...as in stature....I don't think guys under 200 lbs hold up well playing in the middle of the field. I feel similarly about Barron....not to slow, but the small stature at ILB.....and Barron is my D-MVP....Guys glue....against everything but powers and blasts at him....

Can these 2 hold up for an entire season....3 more games and a playoff run to find out.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just can't stop laughing with these articles the same silly line keeps coming to mind. But he's too short to play safety!

I never thought he was too short to play overall but his height is certainly a liability at times. All though it's more of a liability at CB in my opinion because you are usually playing in front of receivers where as safeties get to some what pick and choose their angles if they are good and have good instincts and come up from behind or the side. He's proven to have good instincts so it has worked out well. Pay the man.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great article and good for Joyner. Amazing that Wade came right in and saw the tremendous potential he had at safety (when no one else even gave him a chance at safety for 3 years!). Unfortunately, it's now going to cost the Rams big time to keep him.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I dunno if it's gonna cost us big time, if we extend him now it will be cheaper than if he hits FA. Besides I think Cody Davis will thrive under Wade as well. So we do have a good backup option.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno if it's gonna cost us big time, if we extend him now it will be cheaper than if he hits FA. Besides I think Cody Davis will thrive under Wade as well. So we do have a good backup option.
Davis is a free agent next year also.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
This should be enough for Fisher to never get another head coaching gig. I mean how you don't even give the kid a chance to showcase his skill set at FS is almost criminal.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This should be enough for Fisher to never get another head coaching gig. I mean how you don't even give the kid a chance to showcase his skill set at FS is almost criminal.
I thought Fisher knew defense... hmmmm.