Article: Rams' coaching search adds uncertainty for undrafted rookies

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' coaching search adds uncertainty for undrafted rookies

By JACK WANG / STAFF WRITER

THOUSAND OAKS – On Christmas Eve, Paul McRoberts and Aaron Green made their NFL debuts, officially suiting up eight months after they signed with the Rams. Their days with the team, however, could be numbered.

The two are among the seven undrafted rookies currently on the Rams’ 53-man roster, a list that also includes offensive tackle Pace Murphy, linebackers Cory Littleton and Nic Grigsby, defensive end Morgan Fox, and cornerback Mike Jordan. The team ends the regular season Sunday at the Coliseum against the Cardinals, which could be the last chance for these first-year players to make a case for their long-term futures.

The Rams, of course, fired Head coach Jeff Fisher earlier this month. That means these rookies, who already entered the league as underdogs, will have to impress a whole new coaching staff – one that will likely pore over this season’s game film to decide which players are worth keeping.

Does that add any extra pressure this weekend?

“Nah, not necessarily,” said Green, who ran for 1,272 yards in his final season at TCU but has taken only four snaps for the Rams – all on special teams. “I know how good I am. I trust my abilities. Regardless of who comes in, I’m sure I’ll be fine.”

“It’s uncertainty, but you’ve just got to go with the flow of life,” McRoberts added. “It’s out of your control, at the end of the day.”

Confidence can’t hurt, though it won’t change daunting odds. When the Rams changed coaches five years ago, they ended the 2011 season with four undrafted rookies on their active roster. Fullback Ben Guidugli never dressed for a game, while offensive lineman Kevin Hughes and cornerback Chris Smith each played in three. None of them lasted past the following August – or made another NFL appearance.

There is reason for hope. Fisher, who was then replacing Steve Spagnuolo, did retain longsnapper Jake McQuaide. Center Tim Barnes and running back Chase Reynolds also stuck around after spending the entire 2010 campaign on the practice squad. All three have become mainstays in the locker room, though Reynolds is playing out the one-year contract.

And considering that many current rookies are only getting playing time because of injuries, they have little room for error. Green and McRoberts were promoted from the practice squad a week ago, after the Rams placed second-year receiver Bradley Marquez on injured reserve. Fox was promoted after the team ruled out starting defensive end Robert Quinn for the rest of the season.

But no one caught a bigger break than Jordan, who joined the active 53 shortly after fellow cornerback Troy Hill’s DUI arrest in November. With Hill waived and demoted to the practice squad for several weeks, Jordan started two games for a secondary that was also missing starter E.J. Gaines.

While he didn’t criticize Hill by name, Jordan did mention his ability to “stay focused, stay out of trouble” as one of the reasons behind his own success.

“A lot of people, including me, are new to this L.A. lifestyle, you know what I mean?” Jordan said. “So just not being one of those guys who have to go out every single night. Things like that. A lot of people don’t know how to handle themselves, and they get in trouble with the lifestyle.”

INJURY REPORT

The Rams (4-11) did not practice Thursday, but listed three starters as non-participants on their estimated injury report: receiver Kenny Britt (shoulder), defensive back Lamarcus Joyner (ankle), and right tackle Rob Havenstein (ankle). McRoberts could get more playing time as a reserve if Britt sits out the season finale, and Murphy could potentially replace Havenstein in the starting lineup.

Starting safety Maurice Alexander (concussion) and rookie receiver Mike Thomas (hip) were both listed as limited.

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funny the Michael Jordan comment is what I used to say in the Air Force back in the mid 80's to early 90's, that I'm more focused and not having to go out every single night, wow! Now I really like Jordan although I still think he's a safety more than corner.

Some of them might stick and Aaron Green might get even a better shot with an offense that likes the backs that can catch the football.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's plenty of uncertainty for an undrafted free agent who spent the entire year on the practice squad
The head coach is the least of their concerns

Ram65

Legend
I think there is a long list of players that should be concerned about not being a Ram.

I wanted to start a thread on what and how new coaches will decide who stays and goes. I imagine game tape and philosophy will be the biggest part. Well, there should be a lot of nervous Rams this off season.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
65, I'm sure that will be discussed at length this off season on this forum.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think there is a long list of players that should be concerned about not being a Ram.

I wanted to start a thread on what and how new coaches will decide who stays and goes. I imagine game tape and philosophy will be the biggest part. Well, there should be a lot of nervous Rams this off season.
Can't flush the whole roster in one year. There will be some players still around that have contracts and fill a need while the new regime works through the task of building their own team. This is now in yet another rebuild that will take 3 years to evaluate. Hopefully it doesn't take that long to be a winner but there are no guarantees they will ever be better.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
After the new coaching staff comes in and cleans house, we may start the 2017 season with most guys playing both ways! Hope Goff knows how to play safety.