Article: McVay wants to develop Tavon as a WR.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't understand, really. I look at a guy with less physical talent in Cooper Kupp and he has had an internal drive to learn how to run routes. Kupp has used his will and intellect in order to become the WR that he is. Tavon has been playing football for how long? We can blame Fisher for a lot, but we can't blame him for what Tavon doesn't do for himself. I say this because Tavon has never been reported (that I've heard anyway) to be working with anyone outside of the Rams to learn the complete receiver route tree. He of course has the speed and cutting ability of few humans on earth, but he's resting on that it seems to me and that's not enough.

What was the story about WR not working with Goff or Keenum one year ?? Talk about selfish dumb & dumber players. Quick & Britt were just horrible for the locker room.

I’m not sure where Tavon fit in there , but not being healthy hurt him big time !! McVay tried to Utilize him in various ways, and believe that he still will

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No, please no!

Say as you will , he still brings value. Pharaoh Cooper being all pro that he is has that spot one.

Cooper Kupp will get reps as well as he did last season. Just sows the talent The Rams have through the depth on Special-teams

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What was the story about WR not working with Goff or Keenum one year ?? Talk about selfish dumb & dumber players. Quick & Britt were just horrible for the locker room.

I’m not sure where Tavon fit in there , but not being healthy hurt him big time !! McVay tried to Utilize him in various ways, and believe that he still will

Do you think McVay is just laying the groundwork of cutting Tavon this year. Like "we tried teaching him to be an NFL WR, but it didn't work out." I say this because Cooks does everything that Austin does, except only WAY better than him...including the jet sweep.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
No, please no!
Austin made a lot of great plays as a returner. Not sure what happened last year, maybe his wrist affected him. Cooper is very good but not perfect either as I recall from our sole playoff game. Competition and depth are a good thing.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't understand, really. I look at a guy with less physical talent in Cooper Kupp and he has had an internal drive to learn how to run routes. Kupp has used his will and intellect in order to become the WR that he is. Tavon has been playing football for how long? We can blame Fisher for a lot, but we can't blame him for what Tavon doesn't do for himself. I say this because Tavon has never been reported (that I've heard anyway) to be working with anyone outside of the Rams to learn the complete receiver route tree. He of course has the speed and cutting ability of few humans on earth, but he's resting on that it seems to me and that's not enough.
He’s worked with Randy Moss and Antonio Brown during offseasons. So the effort is certainly there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Tavon Austin = Azahir Hakim
Brandin Cooks = Torry Holt
Robert Woods = Isaac Bruce
Cooper Kupp = Ricky Proehl
Pharoh Cooper = Tony Horne
Josh Reynolds = Chris Thomas
Todd Gurley = Marshall Faulk
? = Roland Williams
Mike Thomas = ?

Some interesting comparisons. Not saying the current group is as good or better than the 1999 Super Bowl winning group. But dang, they're close.
I think our weapons match up well with that team - some better, some not as good. The question mark to me is if Goff can be the guy to make them all better. I think he can, given time. Warner did it "instantly" but not really. He had a lot of time to get ready mentally and also had a pretty varied experience level. He came out of nowhere for our team but we all know his history.

Always thought Tavon's ability to "cut" was hugely overrated. Great straight line speed... did not think he was that great at cutting.

Wait.... whut?

View: https://youtu.be/T3_UNFZHSQU

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He’s worked with Randy Moss and Antonio Brown during offseasons. So the effort is certainly there.
Well, that is good.
It seems to me that time is running out and his learning curve isn't fast enough, imo. But hey, I hope that McVay works the miracle of making Austin into a good receiver.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Say as you will , he still brings value.

Never said he didn't, just not at the PR or KR position. One of the things I've observed about McVay is that, unlike Mike Martz, he can't stand turnovers. This was Tavon's undoing last season and will most likely continue to be so.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
A lot of it is mental with tavon. He has the athletic ability but he lacks effort . There is a couple plays last year where he just gave up, didn't finish his route and cost the team a down.

This could be his last chance on this team, if Sean mcvay can't find a way to use him no one can.

Pharoah had a great REGULAR SEASON last year but I would like to see how tavon fares om punt returns . He was one of the best in the league for a few years

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Do you think McVay is just laying the groundwork of cutting Tavon this year. Like "we tried teaching him to be an NFL WR, but it didn't work out." I say this because Cooks does everything that Austin does, except only WAY better than him...including the jet sweep.

Truth !! FUCK NO !!! He was hurt about what Robert Quinn said about being traded. He feels bad about trading Ogletree !!

He came into this Rams Organization‘s and making it about family . This is something that he still preaches in the core of the foundation of the Rams. He needs to stay true to Tavon who took a pay cut to stay family.

There is no way he is cutting Tavon Austin this season at all.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Never said he didn't, just not at the PR or KR position. One of the things I've observed about McVay is that, unlike Mike Martz, he can't stand turnovers. This was Tavon's undoing last season and will most likely continue to be so.

Well I think he was trying to do too much and lost confidence in himself. Look at the Atlanta game and tell me why the Rams lost?

I’m just saying there’s also a chance of Pharaoh Cooper getting hurt. He has had issues staying healthy as well. It’s just security and proof of the Rams depth.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Truth !! freak NO !!! He was hurt about what Robert Quinn said about being traded. He feels bad about trading Ogletree !!

He came into this Rams Organization‘s and making it about family . This is something that he still preaches in the core of the foundation of the Rams. He needs to stay true to Tavon who took a pay cut to stay family.

There is no way he is cutting Tavon Austin this season at all.
lol....We'll see.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, that is good.
It seems to me that time is running out and his learning curve isn't fast enough, imo. But hey, I hope that McVay works the miracle of making Austin into a good receiver.

I remember him being a big Instagram God, and then when he got hurt it was weird.

He was like a shit ??I was never really Revealed how Tavon hurt himself ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember him being a big Instagram God, and then when he got hurt it was weird.

He was like a crap ??I was never really Revealed how Tavon hurt himself ?
After these many years of waiting for Tavon to live up to his draft status AND the massive Fisher contract, I'm getting tired of waiting myself. N-F-L (Not for long)

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think our weapons match up well with that team - some better, some not as good. The question mark to me is if Goff can be the guy to make them all better. I think he can, given time. Warner did it "instantly" but not really. He had a lot of time to get ready mentally and also had a pretty varied experience level. He came out of nowhere for our team but we all know his history.

Wait.... whut?

View: https://youtu.be/T3_UNFZHSQU

Exactly, dude cuts on a dime. He's been underused IMO. Hopefully this year he gets more chances to prove his value.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds to me that they are planning on using an RB for his run attempts and if he's going to make the team, it has to be at WR-
#tallorder

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
After these many years of waiting for Tavon to live up to his draft status AND the massive Fisher contract, I'm getting tired of waiting myself. N-F-L (Not for long)

Well I’m not saying Tavon is going to be an excellent WR . I am saying that he might be more of bishop than a pond in The Rams Chess Board .

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
He did
Well I’m not saying Tavon is going to be an excellent WR . I am saying that he might be more of bishop than a pond in The Rams Chess Board .
He did catch 52 passes one year. Not impossible that he could catch a few more. He needs to really work on routes and totally learn McVay's system to where it is second nature, no hesitation on adjustments. And catch the ball. Again, not something impossible but we'll see.