Article: McVay wants to develop Tavon as a WR.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
After the Cooks trade I think this thought is nice but dead at this point. Unless, god forbid, someone gets injured the Tavon show is all but gone.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...stin-sean-mcvay-wide-receiver-offseason-2018/
By:Cameron DaSilva | 24 hours ago

When the Rams signed Tavon Austin to a four-year, $42 million extension in 2016, a lot of eyebrows were raised. He was coming off of his best season as a pro, hauling in 52 passes for 473 yards and five touchdowns, while also adding a career-high 434 yards rushing and four scores. And for the third straight year, he brought a punt return to the house, proving his value on special teams.

In hindsight, you can somewhat see why the Rams wanted to keep him around. However, upon further evaluation, extending him two years before he’d hit free agency was an unwise and costly decision.

Last season, he was essentially phased out of the offense altogether. He played a career-low 228 offensive snaps, totaling just 47 yards receiving on 13 catches. Austin did most of his damage as a running back, strangely enough, rushing for 270 yards on 59 attempts – the most in his career.

Now, the Rams have other plans for No. 11.

After experimenting with him in the backfield, the Rams want to evaluate him as a true receiver, rather than simply an offensive weapon.

“I think the thing for Tavon is, even just thinking back to a year ago when we first got here as a coaching staff, we wanted to be able to evaluate Tavon as a receiver,” McVay said on ESPN Los Angeles. “We know he can take handoffs out of the backfield. We know he can do all of the jet sweeps and screens. But we want to see Tavon go into an offseason healthy and give him an opportunity to compete at the wide receiver position and demonstrate if he can provide some value there, where we can utilize him whether in the slot or outside.”

The Rams made a major change at wide receiver this offseason by replacing Sammy Watkins with Brandin Cooks. They’re both speedy wideouts with the ability to make big plays downfield, which is something the Rams had hoped Austin could be. Will 2018 be the year he finally puts it all together as a wide receiver? It’s possible, but given Los Angeles’ depth at the position, it’s unlikely.

McVay and the Rams are going to take it one step at a time with Austin, allowing him to compete for a larger role this offseason.

“I think really the goal for Tavon is let’s see how you approach and attack an offseason where you’re healthy and let’s try to fully develop you as a receiver detached from the core, whether that’s in the slot or outside. We’ll take it one day at a time from there,” McVay said.

If the Rams can’t make it work with Austin, it won’t cost them much. He redid his deal this offseason to convert $3 million of his $8 million cap hit into incentives, so he’ll likely count just $5 million against the cap in 2018.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's difficult to want to part with that kind of speed and cutting ability. I get it and hope that McVay can get more out of him this season. I am not going to go into his draft position, contract and worth because that is what it is. It was another Fisher offensive blunder IMO - one of many. But when you see things like the Indy game and a few other of his plays, you have to think what if. I won't say that I expect him to take a big step this season but if he does, OMG is this going to be an offense stacked with game breakers.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
If you look at him working out at the NFL combine and then compare it to some of the off-season workout pictures from last summer it doesn't even look like the same guy.

I still question what Austin's weight gain has done to his quickness and receiving abilities. I get why he added all of that extra muscle based on what he was being asked to do, but the size he has gained has seemed to directly correlate with his diminishing ability as a receiver.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I'm a huge Tavon fan. I don't think there are many players in the NFL with his combination of acceleration and speed. He can turn a five yard play into a sixty yard touchdown in the blink of an eye. With that said, it seems as if he's actually regressed since his rookie year. Go back to that Indy game where he blew up... I'm pretty sure everyone thought that's what he was going to become. But for whatever reason-- call it the previous regimes offense, his wrist injury last year, whatever-- he just hasn't made that step to becoming a true and consistent weapon.

I really, really hope he puts it all together this season. From all accounts he's a very good teammate and likeable dude. Seems pretty humble, too. Perhaps Cooks can take him under his wing (even though Tavon is three years older) and help him make that leap.

Psycho_X

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's difficult to want to part with that kind of speed and cutting ability. I get it and hope that McVay can get more out of him this season. I am not going to go into his draft position, contract and worth because that is what it is. It was another Fisher offensive blunder IMO - one of many. But when you see things like the Indy game and a few other of his plays, you have to think what if. I won't say that I expect him to take a big step this season but if he does, OMG is this going to be an offense stacked with game breakers.

Agreed, his injury definitely hurt him last season and his development with the first real offensive staff he's ever had professionally. It'll take something bad happening to get him on the field more than what he saw last season thanks to our wonderful depth we now have. But I still like him being on the team. It's always been about his production versus cap number. Even if he finishes this year out with the same production as last year I still wouldn't mind bringing him back on a more friendly contract.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Heck man that Robert Quinn article speaks volumes!! Robert Quinn was some what of a cancer !! He fought the system & as Chris Collinsworth said against the Falcons. He is a one step pony & doesn’t really fit into Wades defense. His skills have declined a lot since his 18 sacks !!

Don’t mean to blow up the thread !! Just think it was an excellent article as well as this one .
I’ll post below about Tavon !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm a huge Tavon fan. I don't think there are many players in the NFL with his combination of acceleration and speed. He can turn a five yard play into a sixty yard touchdown in the blink of an eye. With that said, it seems as if he's actually regressed since his rookie year. Go back to that Indy game where he blew up... I'm pretty sure everyone thought that's what he was going to become. But for whatever reason-- call it the previous regimes offense, his wrist injury last year, whatever-- he just hasn't made that step to becoming a true and consistent weapon.

I really, really hope he puts it all together this season. From all accounts he's a very good teammate and likeable dude. Seems pretty humble, too. Perhaps Cooks can take him under his wing (even though Tavon is three years older) and help him make that leap.

Good stuff ! Hope the same !!

—The Indy game was just a game . You go back to the Oklahoma game his Senior year.He has a lot of talent & many ways he can score. It’s just been hard for him to find space.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If you look at him working out at the NFL combine and then compare it to some of the off-season workout pictures from last summer it doesn't even look like the same guy.

I still question what Austin's weight gain has done to his quickness and receiving abilities. I get why he added all of that extra muscle based on what he was being asked to do, but the size he has gained has seemed to directly correlate with his diminishing ability as a receiver.
I thought he gained something like 5 pounds. Do you have anything that actually says how much he gained? I honestly don't see what you are talking about.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can McVay coach up TA to run precice routes, get separation and make him understand what everyone else is doing and why? Methinks TA's biggest challenge is upgrading his football smarts.

I like that McSnead is giving TA a chance to be something more.

I will be at TC and Austin will be on my radar.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agreed, his injury definitely hurt him last season and his development with the first real offensive staff he's ever had professionally. It'll take something bad happening to get him on the field more than what he saw last season thanks to our wonderful depth we now have. But I still like him being on the team. It's always been about his production versus cap number. Even if he finishes this year out with the same production as last year I still wouldn't mind bringing him back on a more friendly contract.

I think Sean McVay has a real handle on Tavon. As a coach he respected Tavon Austin a lot. If you read the Robert Quinn article you see how he thinks of Tavon & players as family. —Quinn seems like the adopted child.

Tavon showed respect to The Rams Organization by restructuring his contract.He has a lot of value as a playmaker!!

The thing about Tavon was he thought of himself as a RB last season. He was stated as saying this is his position from HS. McVay gave him the job addition from subtraction of a Scatback !!

Like said above about Cooks , it’s just getting reps in & learning each day from each other.

With all the DB’s & WR’s these groups are only going to get better each day !! Tavon is a team player & a hard worker. He just needs to find his groove. The more versatile he is ,the more explosive he will become !!!

jap

Legend
As I pointed out before, Tavon possesses the physical electric speed & quickness to be superlative at making cuts. However, I wonder if he has practiced route running to the point where his moves are virtually instinctive to maximize his natural gifts. As Zodi pointed out, it may truly be a blessing for him to be able to work with Brandin so he could work with someone who possesses the same gears of warp speed.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can McVay coach up TA to run precice routes, get separation and make him understand what everyone else is doing and why? Methinks TA's biggest challenge is upgrading his football smarts.

I like that McSnead is giving TA a chance to be something more.

I will be at TC and Austin will be on my radar.

You will get some insight about how he is doing before that . He will also get reps as a PR & KR guy .

It will interesting though who The Rams get as a extra RB ?? You know they will have to at least draft one. I like Malcom Brown a lot. He is a solid special teams guy as well. It’s just there needs to be that RB to change things up , especially late in games were The Rams are ahead to save Todd Gurley’s legs !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
As I pointed out before, Tavon possesses the physical electric speed & quickness to be superlative at making cuts. However, I wonder if he has practiced route running to the point where his moves are virtually instinctive to maximize his natural gifts. As Zodi pointed out, it may truly be a blessing for him to be able to work with Brandin so he could work with someone who possesses the same gears of warp speed.

With Cooks as well will help open up passing lanes . As for Tavon , I think the best thing he could do is go back to McVays Offensive plays with Washington & look at DJ’s routes & style !

My thing with Tavon as well is he has good straight speed , but he has a Hitch in his running style !! He hops like a bunny before he makes a cut to many times. He just needs to stay solid & make his reads fast & hit the hole.

McVay will find ways to get Tavon the ball. I still think he has 5 TD’s in him !!

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Tavon Austin = Azahir Hakim
Brandin Cooks = Torry Holt
Robert Woods = Isaac Bruce
Cooper Kupp = Ricky Proehl
Pharoh Cooper = Tony Horne
Josh Reynolds = Chris Thomas
Todd Gurley = Marshall Faulk
? = Roland Williams
Mike Thomas = ?

Some interesting comparisons. Not saying the current group is as good or better than the 1999 Super Bowl winning group. But dang, they're close.

Last edited:

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
I guess it's also about being a team player also. He's kinda being the jack of all trades with the ball and I haven't heard any criticism about him being disgruntled about what position they want him at.
I hope it works out for him because every time he gets the ball the potential for a break out play is good.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He needs to be working on the mental side of catching the ball. Just going back to fundamentals until it feels natural and comfortable looking the ball in and getting his hands and body in proper position to attack or accept the ball. His confidence was broken after those fumbles on PR last year. He also has a nasty tendency to drop the ball when he falls to the ground near the sidelines. I still think he can make major plays for this team, but he won't do much if he can't catch or hold onto the ball. Big fan of his and hope he returns to that 2015 form with better hands.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I hope we actually use him on end arounds this year instead of as a decoy only. What does he average like 9 yards per end around or something like that?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand, really. I look at a guy with less physical talent in Cooper Kupp and he has had an internal drive to learn how to run routes. Kupp has used his will and intellect in order to become the WR that he is. Tavon has been playing football for how long? We can blame Fisher for a lot, but we can't blame him for what Tavon doesn't do for himself. I say this because Tavon has never been reported (that I've heard anyway) to be working with anyone outside of the Rams to learn the complete receiver route tree. He of course has the speed and cutting ability of few humans on earth, but he's resting on that it seems to me and that's not enough.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Tavon Austin = Azahir Hakim
Brandin Cooks = Torry Holt
Robert Woods = Isaac Bruce
Cooper Kupp = Ricky Proehl
Pharoh Cooper = Tony Horne
Josh Reynolds = Chris Thomas
Todd Gurley = Marshall Faulk
? = Roland Williams
Mike Thomas = ?

Some interesting comparisons. Not saying the current group is as good or better than the 1999 Super Bowl winning group. But dang, they're close.

I’d say Bruuuce is more like Cooks & Woods more like Holt .
Conley from Washington along with Williams. I take Everett and Higby over them. I really like their upside plus McVeigh will find another solid tight end if that player is not already on the roster.

Robert Holcomb verse Malcolm Brown
Brown is more of a running back and a fullback and of course special-teams guy.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Always thought Tavon's ability to "cut" was hugely overrated. Great straight line speed... did not think he was that great at cutting.