Article: Les Snead's offseason motto "Addition by subtraction"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
All the Rams needed to take the next step was a solid tackle, not a freak of nature.
Okay that is the funniest, most ironic thing I've read on here in a long time.
:D

Yeah, I know Jake Matthews has a pedigree going back to his granddad and Lewan Taylor has a four-years of consistency and was the preseason top listed tackle his senior year....but....awww.... I don't know man...
let's go for this guy we've never heard of before the season started because he has the potential to be a freak of nature!

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Okay that is the funniest, most ironic thing I've read on here in a long time.
:D

Yeah, I know Jake Matthews has a pedigree going back to his granddad and Lewan Taylor has a four-years of consistency and was the preseason top listed tackle his senior year....but....awww.... I don't know man...
let's go for this guy we've never heard of before the season started because he has the potential to be a freak of nature!
The sad thing is that he still is. He's an incredibility big, strong, and fast man with athleticism that's off the charts. He just isn't a good football player.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Robinson pick killed me. The bust potential on the next two tackles on the board was incredibly low. They were both guys who loved football and had the physical tools to be effective at the position. All the Rams needed to take the next step was a solid tackle, not a freak of nature.

It still is mind blowing what happened with Grob, I never saw a pure LT when watching his film. I saw a mediocre Guard at best. I remember yelling at my TV when we picked him over Mathews. That pick alone should have gotten Snead fired IMO.
Yeah, I know Jake Matthews has a pedigree going back to his granddad and Lewan Taylor has a four-years of consistency and was the preseason top listed tackle his senior year
Looking back.....I always wanted Lewan....after that combine....and I still would have liked G-Rob over Matthews...I still don't like the way Matthews plays...he holds on almost every play too...

And if we'd have grabbed any of them....they would have all struggled under coach Boudreau

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well put.
For one thing it seems as though the moves that are being made are in line with the philosophy of the coach. Not some of the square peg, round hole moves that we saw the former administration make

Exactly. Snead is getting the players that the head coach wants and who fit their system. It's up to the coaches to develop/coach those players.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I love the way people casually say, so-and-so "never panned out" when an incredibly risky player that they had no real tape on to evaluate PREDICTABLY flops.

"So-and-so never panned out" is a lame cop-out.
You have to make your own luck in this world.
Picking a left tackle without knowing if he can pass block and then hoping and waiting to see if he can develop.

Picking a Brian Quick from a Division II School when you've got a guy that led the SEC sitting there in Jeffrey's or an SEC stud tackle in Cordy Glenn.

It still blows my mind. :D

Which brings TheRams to 4-2 today with a young & up & coming HC !!

I think a lot of those mistakes have helped form a positive foundation.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Never was disappointed in Snead; drafting players is one thing, coaching them is another, and Jeff Fisher was shit tier in developing players on offense. Will give props to him for developing defense and special teams players though

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That pick alone should have gotten Snead fired IMO.

Well, to be fair, the person who had final say over that pick did get fired ... and I don't believe the position coach that banged the table for GRob is currently working either.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
"I think you can definitely say throughsix games, through our sample size, yes, we’re progressing," he said. "I don’t think it’s too early to say that. But I do think it’s too early to rest on any laurel. That’s the nice thing about having Sean. He’s not going to allow us to."
Hmm subtle jab?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
exactly this....

Picking players on potential alone is what gets teams in trouble. I couldn't have said this better myself. I don't know how these GM's or coaches get caught up in this. For example i don't know how a players stock rises after the combine. They have all the game film in the world on most players, this alone should be enough to answer most questions. Are there exceptions? Sure, but you don't pick a player like Quick in the 2nd round. You pick him in the 5th round or later.

It still is mind blowing what happened with Grob, I never saw a pure LT when watching his film. I saw a mediocre Guard at best. I remember yelling at my TV when we picked him over Mathews. That pick alone should have gotten Snead fired IMO.

You can YELL & SCREAM all you want.

--The truth is the pick should have been traded.

That said Greg Robinson was a pick Fisher wanted very much as well. They thought they had that Auburn connection.

As far as Brian Quick goes. The Rams
had a individual work out with him . The QB's were totally sold on him. --Yes it was a bad pick. Brian Quick had some good skills though. Just don't think he had the it factor.

Isahi Pead was a Senior Bowl MVP.

This year draft shows what Senior Bowl players mean to the draft process.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher always looked at potential first, even in Houston/Tennesee. Does Jared Cook or Kenny Britt ring a bell? Even after those guys bombed out after 4 years with the team that drafted them, Fish still gave them another chance, and nothing about them changed. When Mcvay traded away G-Rob, I thought it was premature, but it didn't take the new coaching staff long to figure him out. If Fish was still here, I'd bet that G-Rob would still be starting!!! Probably along with Britt and Quick - LOL. Snead was NEVER the problem! We now know that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But, I have very little doubt that Greg Robinson, in the hands of competent coaches, could have become a dominant run blocking offensive lineman. None...They just don't make guys that can move, are that strong, and that coordinated...they don't make guys like that...that can't play. Sorry...That's all coach Boo messing him up.

He was not smart enough to do well.

I don't know if he would have been any good but I still don't understand why they didn't at least try him at guard.

He was not smart enough. LOL

That pick alone should have gotten Snead fired IMO.

Well two things about that.

1. Snead didn't have final say, and for all we know he may have wanted someone else at that slot.

2. Snead has a "hit rate" that's very good. In fact someone did a breakdown and he fared well against teams that draft well and develop their team through the draft. If he DIDN'T put enough good players in front of Fisher the team would have been worse and wouldn't have the talent on the roster it does now. If he wasn't doing well the team wouldn't be 4-2. There is a reason McVay decided on the Rams, he knows Sneads track record will be even better not being hamstrung by Fisher and he did well without having final say.

There are not all that many truly good GM's in the NFL. And as I have maintained for a long time now the most important people on the payroll are the QB, GM and owner. If you look at teams that have a good GM and QB you'll notice they win a lot and make the HC look very good.

He just isn't a good football player.

It's that "smart" thing did I mention that LOL.

Never was disappointed in Snead;

Same here, I think he is going to finish this rebuild and I'm sure that he's going to get another extension in a couple of years. I hope/think that in several years people will compare him with Ozzie Newsome, who IMO may be the best GM the NFL has seen.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

That said Greg Robinson was a pick Fisher wanted very much as well. They thought they had that Auburn connection.

had a individual work out with him . The QB's were totally sold on him. --Yes it was a bad pick. Brian Quick had some good skills though. Just don't think he had the it factor.

Truth is we should have picked someone else. Anyone else. We traded him for a bag of chips and a cup of water.

WvuIN02

Starter

Why trade it?

Khalil Mack, ODB Jr, Mike Evans were all drafted after Grob...we just missed badly on the pick when it could have been a cornerstone on defense or a pro bowl WR.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I hope/think that in several years people will compare him with Ozzie Newsome, who IMO may be the best GM the NFL has seen.

Not sure if Newsome or Harbaugh is losing a step but the Ravens roster has been quietly pedestrian these past few years

WvuIN02

Starter
Not sure if Newsome or Harbaugh is losing a step but the Ravens roster has been quietly pedestrian these past few years
I'd take Kevin Colbert and the Steelers brass over anyone, followed by McCarthy and Ted Thompson in Green Bay.

steelers.png