Around the NFC West: Rams keep churning

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sando Clause
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... p-churning

The NFL rule expanding roster limits to 90 players came at the right time for teams overhauling their personnel.

The St. Louis Rams are one of those teams.

They drafted 10 players and are close to adding 23 undrafted free agents.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the Rams cut five veteran players Thursday -- Demarco Cosby, John Henderson, Nate Ness, Quinn Porter and Chris Smith -- to make room for the influx. Thomas: "The Rams attempted to address their shortage of linebackers by adding undrafted rookies Sammy Brown of Houston, Derrick Choice of Stephen F. Austin, Alex Hoffman-Ellis of Washington State, and Noah Keller of Ohio. [hil]Brown led the nation in tackles for loss (30), while also registering 13.5 sacks for Houston. He's 6-2, 242 and ran a 4.63 at his pro day. Hoffman-Ellis was named Washington State's defensive MVP for the 2011 season after recording 88 tackles and two sacks, and returning his only interception for a touchdown."[/hil] Noted: Releasing veteran kicker Josh Brown also contributed to the youth movement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes you wonder how these guys go undrafted. Reminds me of London Fletcher too.
Dude is a consistent force at the position and was overlooked over 200 times during the draft.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
Sando Clause

The NFL rule expanding roster limits to 90 players came at the right time for teams overhauling their personnel.

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the Rams cut five veteran players Thursday -- Demarco Cosby, John Henderson, Nate Ness, Quinn Porter and Chris Smith -- to make room for the influx. Thomas: "The Rams attempted to address their shortage of linebackers by adding undrafted rookies Sammy Brown of Houston, Derrick Choice of Stephen F. Austin, Alex Hoffman-Ellis of Washington State, and Noah Keller of Ohio. [hil]Brown led the nation in tackles for loss (30), while also registering 13.5 sacks for Houston. He's 6-2, 242 and ran a 4.63 at his pro day. Hoffman-Ellis was named Washington State's defensive MVP for the 2011 season after recording 88 tackles and two sacks, and returning his only interception for a touchdown."[/hil] Noted: Releasing veteran kicker Josh Brown also contributed to the youth movement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makes you wonder how these guys go undrafted. Reminds me of London Fletcher too.
Dude is a consistent force at the position and was overlooked over 200 times during the draft.

Brown has laziness issues. He's extremely talented, but he's never been willing to put those skills to the test. Some people might have had better players on their board, and I can't say that I blame them.

Keller has incredible instincts, but he has little athleticism and no upside. Can't blame people for taking him off their boards.

I don't know anything about Choice, but he played in a lesser conference. That's what caused Fletcher to go undrafted.

I don't understand why Hoffman-Ellis wasn't drafted, though. He was a great player for a pathetic team, but he still had a fifth-round grade on him. People might say that he's undersized, but Sean Spence was 5'11", 220, and he got drafted in the third round. I think that if any of the young undrafted linebackers are going to stick, it's going to be him.

Anonymous

X said:
Sando Clause

Small school, plus a "wrong" measurable or 2.

BUT I have to say that is as impressive a group of UDFA LBs as you could possibly imagine.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think we are now seeing the new staffs attitude toward A position .
Clearly we value the defense to be less linebacker-centric and place that position third in the hierarchy of importance.

I can see it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thordaddy said:
I think we are now seeing the new staffs attitude toward A position .
Clearly we value the defense to be less linebacker-centric and place that position third in the hierarchy of importance.

I can see it.

Definitely seems to be the case.