Around the NFC West: Jackson's legacy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Sando
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... fc-west-13

The St. Louis Rams trailed the San Francisco 49ers 28-0 when their fill-in quarterback, Kyle Boller, fumbled an attempted handoff to receiver Danny Amendola.

Ray McDonald, the 49ers' defensive end, returned the loose ball for a touchdown.

It was a humiliating moment during a humiliating 2009 season. Fourteen minutes remained in the game. I wondered whether the 49ers might win by 50.

What happened next cemented in my mind the greatness of the Rams' proudest player. Steven Jackson over the left side for seven yards. Jackson over the left said again, for 11. Jackson up the middle for six. Jackson to the left for gains of one and five yards.

Jackson ran defiantly and recklessly to prove a point. It was one of the more inspiring individual efforts few will remember.

"Not to say that I was holding anything back," Jackson said after that game, "but you got to understand that when you are down like we were, you don't give up."

Point taken. The Rams would finish 1-15 that season. Jackson would suffer a herniated disc in his back, but he would not relent. Jackson missed only one game that season before undergoing back surgery. He would carry 20 times for 63 excruciating yards during a Week 17 game in which the Rams, 1-14 and reeling, would manage only six first downs.

When Jackson's career is finished and it's time to discuss his Hall of Fame candidacy, that 2009 season should work in his favor, strange as it might seem on the surface.

Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch asks whether the Rams' futility will drag down Jackson's Hall candidacy. He makes a detailed case for Jackson, now the Rams' career leader in rushing yardage. Miklasz: "SJ has received little help from the team, but he's consistently put up good numbers over a long stretch of seasons. Jackson has managed to produce at a high level and accumulate the yards under terrible circumstances that put him at a disadvantage. And that makes his career even more impressive."

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the Rams continue to churn their roster, releasing tight end Michael Hoomanawanui and guard Quinn Ojinnaka.

Nick Wagoner of stlouisrams.com notes that Ojinnaka started all four exhibition games this summer.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I remember that game. I already had respect for SJax, but that game cemented his beastliness forever in my books. He very well might not make the hall of fame because of how terrible some of those teams were, but he still played stellar in terrible conditions. I just don't think a lot of other people outside of Rams fans realize that though.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
SJax is a BEAST !!

Will be great for us this season .

Iron Lion

Starter
X said:
When Jackson's career is finished and it's time to discuss his Hall of Fame candidacy, that 2009 season should work in his favor, strange as it might seem on the surface.

I actually couldn't agree with this more. Guys like Jackson are the heart of the Hall of Fame.

And then you have guys like Ricky Watters, who could have gotten in, but he has that famous "For who? For what?" quote which will possibly keep him out for all time. That was the difference between Watters and Jackson—Jackson will take a beating any day, any down, no matter the team's score or record, but Watters, being accustomed to winning, did not see why he should have to sacrifice his body in a game that is lost.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Steven Jackson...is a badass who is definitely worthy to be included alongside the legendary running backs in the Hall. I don't think I can say more than that.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
This reminds me of the reason I still have the utmost faith in Bradford. For the life of me I can't remember who we were playing, but he threw a pick at the goal line and then chased the defender for fully 90 yards before pulling him down. I think the play was nullified by a penalty... I wish I could be more specific. But since then I've known Bradford is the tits. With regards to Jackson, what more can you say? He is a hero amongst men and a true role model.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
ScotsRam said:
This reminds me of the reason I still have the utmost faith in Bradford. For the life of me I can't remember who we were playing, but he threw a pick at the goal line and then chased the defender for fully 90 yards before pulling him down. I think the play was nullified by a penalty... I wish I could be more specific. But since then I've known Bradford is the tits. With regards to Jackson, what more can you say? He is a hero amongst men and a true role model.
I remember that play too. I think that showed just how competitive Sam is and how much he wants to win. For what it's worth I think we'll see more of an edge to Sam this year. I'm willing to bet that Fisher is cultivating that right now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
ScotsRam said:
I remember that play too. I think that showed just how competitive Sam is and how much he wants to win. For what it's worth I think we'll see more of an edge to Sam this year. I'm willing to bet that Fisher is cultivating that right now.
[nfl]09000d5d81cda9cc[/nfl]

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
That's the one, cheers X. Loved watching that, despite the fact we were getting absolutely thrashed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ScotsRam said:
That's the one, cheers X. Loved watching that, despite the fact we were getting absolutely thrashed.
Yep. He absolutely is *the tits*.

I thought I'd never hear anyone else use that expression, to be honest. When I was 16 years old I worked in a pizzeria, and the owner's son (my boss) used to say that all the time. He even had a gold chain with a charm that read "TITS" because he said it so much.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
X said:
ScotsRam said:

I thought I'd never hear anyone else use that expression, to be honest. When I was 16 years old I worked in a pizzeria, and the owner's son (my boss) used to say that all the time. He even had a gold chain with a charm that read "TITS" because he said it so much.

Haha, I pride myself on my extensive slang vocabulary.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
ScotsRam said:

That cracks me up. I zeroed in on that statement as well. One of my first bosses used to use the term. The one he used quite a bit was, "Tits, we're in there." That meant we were good to go.