Around the League: Do the Titans Trade Derrick Henry?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Around the League Topic

I’ve been seeing chatter all offseason that the Titans might move Henry.

The Titans are in that spot transitioning to a new QB… are they rebuilding? How quickly do they test drive Levis? Having a solid running game behind the rookie QB makes sense, so maybe you keep him for that reason alone.

But Henry is 29. Should they cash in his value with a contender?

Dude rushed for 1,500yds last year and we hardly knew it. He’s still a massive weapon.

But the question is when and where? This article does a decent job trying to answer that.

I’d like to see Henry traded to one of those 3 suggested. That would make those teams even more intriguing.

LINK

When?

Running backs get hurt, though, and I wouldn't blame the Titans for holding out until the inevitable happens in training camps or early in the regular season. The trade deadline typically takes place after Week 8, so there's plenty of time and little reason to rush this.

Besides, they may want to wait for the market to crystalize. Right now, there's a lot up in the air with trade rumors surrounding veterans Dalvin Cook and Austin Ekeler, and with New York Giants' franchise-tag recipient Saquon Barkley seemingly squabbling with the team. Plus, Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette and Kareem Hunt remain on the open market.

Still, anyone willing to take him Henry off the Titans' hands for a second-round pick should be greeted with a welcoming smile.

Where?

As for teams that should consider making runs at Henry, you've got to be a realistic contender (forget it, Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans) willing to sacrifice some future draft capital for an obvious offensive upgrade (not easy for the Denver Broncos, Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints, all of whom have given away some 2024 Day 2 capital), and you probably can't be in salary-cap poverty (looking at you, Kansas City Chiefs, Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins).

Take out teams that don't really need a new No. 1 back (the Giants for now, along with the Eagles, Lions and Falcons following the draft, as well as teams with standout backs like the 49ers, Vikings, Cleveland Browns, Las Vegas Raiders, Green Bay Packers, Los Angeles Chargers, Jacksonville Jaguars, Seattle Seahawks, Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys), and the rest of teams that have lower-half Super Bowl odds (Arizona Cardinals, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New England Patriots, Washington Commodes and Los Angeles Rams), and you're left with the following squads:

Baltimore Ravens: They have three decent backs in J.K. Dobbins, Gus Edwards and Justice Hill, but none are game-changers like Henry, and Dobbins and Edwards have had have some trouble remaining on the field. If they're going all-in with Lamar Jackson, this would be the move.

Cincinnati Bengals: After June 1, the Super Bowl-or-bust Bengals save $10 million in salary-cap space by releasing veteran Joe Mixon. A one-for-one replacement with Henry would make a lot of sense as they bridge the gap to rookie fifth-round pick Chase Brown and/or 2019 sixth-rounder Trayveon Williams.

New York Jets: This would be one way to make Aaron Rodgers happy, and this was a bottom-eight rushing game in terms of DVOA in 2022 that could use an upgrade over Breece Hall (who is coming off a torn ACL) and Michael Carter (who averaged just 3.5 yards per carry last year).

Of course, that's barring unpredictable injuries. A lot could still happen, but the market and the logic exist regardless.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
10.5 mill for 1 season is a decent chunk of change, and with him being franchise tagged once already that option is pretty much off the table for '24. I think Tennessee could sweeten the pot by taking on say half of the 10.5 mill salary, they'd still see a 5+ mill save in 2023 and likely a team would pay a decent amount for a 1 year run for a guy of that level on a respectable contract

Ramon Ram

Starter
Cincy and Balt make the most sense as the Jets are set. Not sure Tenn would trade within the conf?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Cincy would be pretty tough if they got Henry. Do they aspire to the all in approach? At 29 teams who don't expect to contend should stay away. When running backs drop they do it fast with their shelf lives. Right off the table. And the expiration date is pretty close at that age.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No way. We cannot afford to pay a RB. Not even Henry. Also he does not fit this offense, as much as I'd love to see a power run game McVay does not prefer that.

The way forward with the Rams is to keep fresh RB blood coming in every year via the draft. They just need to start doing a better job of identifying guys who are low risk and can slot in seamlessly to make that position a non-concern. Also they need to do a better job of separating roles and ensuring those roles are covered by the type of back on the depth chart. There is a difference between bellcows and change of pace among backs, particularly when you're talking about the guys who are not the total package.

Evans comes with risk I felt was unnecessary given who else was on the board and I did not like the pick, but I will admit he does have the talent to be the total package type. That said, if he doesn't work out I think they need to reevaluate how they identify and draft this position. Their inability to draft RBs who can contribute what they need, which is moving the chains on the ground, has been a problem for this offense for many seasons now. But maybe that all changes this year. We'll see.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No way. We cannot afford to pay a RB. Not even Henry. Also he does not fit this offense, as much as I'd love to see a power run game McVay does not prefer that.

The way forward with the Rams is to keep fresh RB blood coming in every year via the draft. They just need to start doing a better job of identifying guys who are low risk and can slot in seamlessly to make that position a non-concern. Also they need to do a better job of separating roles and ensuring those roles are covered by the type of back on the depth chart. There is a difference between bellcows and change of pace among backs, particularly when you're talking about the guys who are not the total package.

Evans comes with risk I felt was unnecessary given who else was on the board and I did not like the pick, but I will admit he does have the talent to be the total package type. That said, if he doesn't work out I think they need to reevaluate how they identify and draft this position. Their inability to draft RBs who can contribute what they need, which is moving the chains on the ground, has been a problem for this offense for many seasons now. But maybe that all changes this year. We'll see.
Sorry Merlin. My topic wasn’t about the Rams and Henry. It was more a general question about if the Titans should trade him and who might be interested.

But it was a crappy post title, so I have cleaned it up to be clearer.

No way do I want the Rams to consider Henry. He is not a fit for us.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Compare the value of a henry trade to the Ramsey deal.

2nd rounder for a 1 year rental? No thanks. I give up a 3rd at best, but only if the Lombardi is realistically in sight; otherwise, a 4th is what a very good, but soon to be 30 years old, back is worth.
If the titans want more than that they should be prepared to eat some $$ or offer a younger player as a bonus.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry Merlin. My topic wasn’t about the Rams and Henry. It was more a general question about if the Titans should trade him and who might be interested.

But it was a crappy post title, so I have cleaned it up to be clearer.

No way do I want the Rams to consider Henry. He is not a fit for us.
Yeah gotta be real clear round this place given how poorly we read at times. :laugh4:

Titans value him but he is getting long in the tooth and you can find RBs in the draft. So if I were the Titans I would see how he settles into that backfield with Levis this season then go from there.

Having a power run threat is good for them. But beyond this season I'd imagine they will start putting weapons for the pass game around Levis.

I think they had a real nice draft. They got the best lineman in the draft plus their QB of the future but their WR room is all potential. So they should have a window open up next year with a draft that includes weapons for the pass game.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Henry would be wasted on the Rams this season. He is a premiere player and needs to be on a premiere team. We are rebuilding and we would be wasting resources on him. This season is about the 40 or so we got in the draft and UDFAs see who sticks find the glaring weaknesses and try and plug them next season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cincy would be pretty tough if they got Henry. Do they aspire to the all in approach? At 29 teams who don't expect to contend should stay away. When running backs drop they do it fast with their shelf lives. Right off the table. And the expiration date is pretty close at that age.
That would be such a good fit.

Even with Mixon, the Bengals have been so-so running the ball. Henry would change how you’d defend them. Not sure scheme differences between Tenn and Cincy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Niners paid a lot for McCaffrey. If they hadn’t won those sweepstakes, I could see them throwing a puck away for Henry. He wouldn’t be the pass catching threat that Shanahan likes, but he’d be a force for that offense.

Same with the Shehawks, but didn’t they draft Walker last year?

I’d rather he stays out of the NFC West.

I do think a second round pick for one year of Henry is too high. But the Whiners used a third round pick on a kicker, so who knows.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Niners paid a lot for McCaffrey. If they hadn’t won those sweepstakes, I could see them throwing a puck away for Henry. He wouldn’t be the pass catching threat that Shanahan likes, but he’d be a force for that offense.

Same with the Shehawks, but didn’t they draft Walker last year?

I’d rather he stays out of the NFC West.

I do think a second round pick for one year of Henry is too high. But the Whiners used a third round pick on a kicker, so who knows.
Well, unless there is an injury to CMC, the Niners are not making the deal plus the Seahawks have Kenneth Walker & drafted Zach Charbonnet, who might end up being the starter so Henry is not going to the pacific northwest.

The Ravens do have capital and it would be a great fit, but the Ravens don't usually make this type of move. I think the New England Patriots make the most sense here and Vrabel might oblige his mentor. Rhamondre Stevenson is big, however, does get dinged up too and Henry in New England teaming with Stevenson would give the Patriots a fighting chance in a division where as of right now, they are the runt of the litter.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think a second round pick for one year of Henry is too high.
Agreed way too high. That type of back can be had every draft into late rounds. It's sad but supply and demand is what it is. Vikes got McBride in round 7 this year.

For a back to be valued in today's league he needs to be that rare all-arounder who can run the ball or function in the pass game and all of it with explosive threat. Those types are very hard to find too as most who have those skills cannot function in that bellcow role. But the ones who do are the ones that teams trade valued picks for so most recent example being McCaffrey.