Arm chair GM 1st Rd Mock Draft-Pick #13 St Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

St Louis Rams pick #13

• Total voters

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's not merely a question of BPA. We need a player who is not only good but fills a need.

Which is more important: a starting FS or third-choice DT?

I'm a fan of building through the trenches. Plus the FS out there aren't very good. Ha-Ha ran a 4.6... He's not going to be able to cover a fast TE. So what's the point in drafting him in the first when we can get someone equally as good in the 2nd or 3rd?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm not lobbying for anyone here but if I recall right, many times CBs are not asked nor expected to make many tackles. If they are, wouldn't that indicate their man already has the ball? I think someone brought this up on Cromartie before. He averages about 30 tackles a season. His main objective is to lock down his side of the field and make sure his receiver either doesn't catch the ball or make it so the QB simply doesn't throw to him. I just don't see tackles as a great indicator for CB play.

Point taken, but Dix is not a cover CB.

Ed Reed in two of his Probowl years had 29 and 30 tackles. Other years he had more. It really depends on what the DB is being asked to do.

And Ed Reed also had 15 INTs and 29 PDs during those years.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I'm a fan of building through the trenches. Plus the FS out there aren't very good. Ha-Ha ran a 4.6... He's not going to be able to cover a fast TE. So what's the point in drafting him in the first when we can get someone equally as good in the 2nd or 3rd?
So speed equals quality, does it?

These were the fastest TEs at the combine:

A.C. Leonard, Tennessee State 4.50
Eric Ebron, North Carolina 4.60
Colt Lyerla, Oregon 4.61
Trey Burton, Florida 4.62
Jace Amaro, Texas Tech 4.74

Of course, they're going to be drafted in that order and Leonard will definitely be drafted before Clinton-Dix.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Dix will be way overdrafted at #13. He's not worth the pick and he's not even close to the best prospect available. Don't reach for need.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Dix will be way overdrafted at #13. He's not worth the pick and he's not even close to the best prospect available. Don't reach for need.
So you're saying that you're absolutely certain that in ten years' time, when the class of '14 can be properly evaluated, there will be twelve players better than Clinton-Dix?

No?

Thought not.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Point taken, but Dix is not a cover CB.

And Ed Reed also had 15 INTs and 29 PDs during those years.
True. And that is where I was going with the use of only one stat. Like I said though. I am not advocating for Dix as our pick at 13. I still think our coaches like our safeties more than we do as fans and from what little I've watched of him, I don't see Dix as a big upgrade. With the 13th pick, I'm looking for a big upgrade. Guess we'll see.

Personally, my view is that we have a chance to grab an elite level O-lineman with our first pick. Other than that, we should go with BPA almost regardless of need and if it weren't for the talent of the O-linemen in the draft, I'd say go BPA with that pick as well.

Every team has holes. The idea that we will ever be able to completely fill all the holes is a pipe dream. To me - you go after players that are going to be stars at their position. Those players generally either require double teams by the other team or mean you don't have to give help to that position on your team. If you are able to shut down the run and get to the QB quickly, you don't necessarily have to have the lock down corners. If you have a great defensive backfield, you give your D-line more time to get to the QB. If your D-line can shut down the run, your DBs can freelance more. If you have a stellar O-line, your QB, RB, and receivers will generally look better. If you have a CJ type receiver, your O-line and QB can look like studs even though they are not.

So is Dix the guy? I dunno. But I doubt the number of tackles alone will be what the coaches use to determine that. If he is that guy who doesn't need help or who makes the unit around him better, or is capable of making game changing plays, I think that is what makes him a good pick.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
So you're saying that you're absolutely certain that in ten years' time, when the class of '14 can be properly evaluated, there will be twelve players better than Clinton-Dix?

No?

Thought not.

I'm not talking in 10 years time. I'm talking about as of RIGHT NOW, Clinton-Dix is not the #13 overall prospect. Rated by anybody. No way is he the best guy available at this scenario.

We cannot predict the future and see who will or will not be good. We can only look and see where players are rated RIGHT NOW and where we would take them RIGHT NOW, and I would not take Clinton-Dix at #13 RIGHT NOW if I was GM.

Cannot reach for need. Have to take players where need meets value, and the value just isn't right here.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
That's the problem with you draftniks: no long-term strategy.

:whistle:
So you want to take a lesser player because he MIGHT be better in the future, when players like Aaron Donald are clearly better NOW and project to be better as well? Filling a need is fine, passing over a great talent is not.

Regardless, HHCD has little upside left, as usual with Alabama players. He's basically maxed out as a player. If you want long-term strategy, wouldn't Pryor be the better player for you anyway?

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
So you want to take a lesser player because he MIGHT be better in the future, when players like Aaron Donald are clearly better NOW and project to be better as well? Filling a need is fine, passing over a great talent is not.

Regardless, HHCD has little upside left, as usual with Alabama players. He's basically maxed out as a player. If you want long-term strategy, wouldn't Pryor be the better player for you anyway?
Difference of opinion, my friend. I'd say that Donald, at 6 foot nothing and already at 285 lbs, is more maxed out than HCD. Furthermore, I think that Donald will find tossing NFL-conditioned linemen to one side far more difficult than HCD will covering NFL receivers; there's a much bigger difference in professional development (that is, improvement from their college days) between linemen and receivers.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Difference of opinion, my friend. I'd say that Donald, at 6 foot nothing and already at 285 lbs, is more maxed out than HCD. Furthermore, I think that Donald will find tossing NFL-conditioned linemen to one side far more difficult than HCD will covering NFL receivers; there's a much bigger difference in professional development (that is, improvement from their college days) between linemen and receivers.

Then we will have to agree to disagree.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Someone please vote, and vote for Dennard. :cool:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
So speed equals quality, does it?

These were the fastest TEs at the combine:

A.C. Leonard, Tennessee State 4.50
Eric Ebron, North Carolina 4.60
Colt Lyerla, Oregon 4.61
Trey Burton, Florida 4.62
Jace Amaro, Texas Tech 4.74

Of course, they're going to be drafted in that order and Leonard will definitely be drafted before Clinton-Dix.

Have you forgotten about a guy named Vernon Davis?

Alan

Legend
TheDYVKX liking the present:
I'm assuming from this that you prefer Matthews over Robinson correct?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'm assuming from this that you prefer Matthews over Robinson correct?

Yeah, I do like Matthews more. I'm not into projects in the first round. Upside is great and you should look for that, but they need to be ready to play and play well RIGHT NOW as well. Just don't see Clinton-Dix being anything other than an average NFL safety with no upside.

That being said, I'm fine with Robinson because he can play guard immediately and would almost certainly excel. But I prefer Matthews because he's not raw in pass protection.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Have you forgotten about a guy named Vernon Davis?
So? Davis ran a 4.38 at the combine all those years ago. Whoopee.

It's not as if Ha Ha (or whichever safety we play) is going to have to turn and run to catch up with Davis anyway. They'll be watching the play develop in front of them, and Clinton-Dix reads the game very well indeed.