Arm chair GM 1st Rd Mock Draft-Pick #13 St Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

St Louis Rams pick #13

• Total voters

Memphis Ram

Legend
It's not merely a question of BPA. We need a player who is not only good but fills a need.

Which is more important: a starting FS or third-choice DT?

Starting and playing well enough to make an impact are two entirely different things.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Attempting to fill needs at the expense of the selection better football players can cripple a franchise.
That's cool.

Just don't wonder what happened when an opposition WR walks into the end zone unchallenged, after the quarterback beats our pass rush.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That's cool.

Just don't wonder what happened when an opposition WR walks into the end zone unchallenged, after the quarterback beats our pass rush.

Sorry, but there's no guarantee that doesn't happen with the rookie Dix either. Didn't even happen in college in the games I watched.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suggest that someone vote on this poll and break the tie. :cool:
Wondering if we should go another day on this pick.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I suggest you watch a little closer, then. The guy hardly ever misses a tackle.

You lost me here. I wouldn't call a missed tackle being unchallenged. That said, I'd hope a kid who has only averaged 26.5 solo tackles the past couple of seasons wouldn't miss any. In fact, some might wonder if that's even a large enough sample size to grade him in that aspect.

Last edited:

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
In fact, some might wonder if that's even a large enough sample size to grade him in that aspect.
Is it his fault that he doesn't have to make many last-ditch plays? No: opponents don't steer in his direction because they know they won't have much success if they do.

And on those rare occasions when there is a crucial stop to be made, Clinton-Dix usually makes it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Is it his fault that he doesn't have to make many last-ditch plays? No: opponents don't steer in his direction because they know they won't have much success if they do.

And on those rare occasions when there is a crucial stop to be made, Clinton-Dix usually makes it.

That could be case. Or it could be that he doesn't have the instincts to get in on many plays. I mean, I'm sure teams didn't steer in the directions of Earl Thomas, Ed Reed and the like either, but they still made plenty of plays.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You lost me here. I wouldn't call a missed tackle being unchallenged. That said, I'd hope a kid who has only averaged 26.5 solo tackles the past couple of seasons wouldn't miss any. In fact, some might wonder if that's even a large enough sample size to grade him in that aspect.

I'm not lobbying for anyone here but if I recall right, many times CBs are not asked nor expected to make many tackles. If they are, wouldn't that indicate their man already has the ball? I think someone brought this up on Cromartie before. He averages about 30 tackles a season. His main objective is to lock down his side of the field and make sure his receiver either doesn't catch the ball or make it so the QB simply doesn't throw to him. I just don't see tackles as a great indicator for CB play.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I suggest that someone vote on this poll and break the tie. :cool:
Wondering if we should go another day on this pick.

Not a bad idea (more time) allowing the debate to shape the undecided voters?

Besides, we still have something like 7 months until draft day....

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 looking at a complex issue:
I'm not lobbying for anyone here but if I recall right, many times CBs are not asked nor expected to make many tackles. If they are, wouldn't that indicate their man already has the ball? I think someone brought this up on Cromartie before. He averages about 30 tackles a season. His main objective is to lock down his side of the field and make sure his receiver either doesn't catch the ball or make it so the QB simply doesn't throw to him. I just don't see tackles as a great indicator for CB play.
I understand what your point but it's much more complicated than that IMO. Is he tackling the WR or is he tackling a RB in run support? There aren't too many DBs not named Sanders who can get away without contributing in run support. I think you'd probably have to look at each tackle individually. PFF probably does that. Maybe someone who subscribes might be able to shed some light on that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a bad idea (more time) allowing the debate to shape the undecided voters?

Besides, we still have something like 7 months until draft day....
It shall be done. Let it simmer for another day.

Alan

Legend
Or re-vote with only the two choices available. Or shoot that Odell voter if he doesn't change his mind. :LOL:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I understand what your point but it's much more complicated than that IMO. Is he tackling the WR or is he tackling a RB in run support? There aren't too many DBs not named Sanders who can get away without contributing in run support. I think you'd probably have to look at each tackle individually. PFF probably does that. Maybe someone who subscribes might be able to shed some light on that.
Ed Reed in two of his Probowl years had 29 and 30 tackles. Other years he had more. It really depends on what the DB is being asked to do.

Alan

Legend
Exactly my point. Bare stats can be so misleading without any context.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Exactly my point. Bare stats can be so misleading without any context.
Yep. And worse yet, using a stat against someone when they really had no way of improving that stat is just insisting on passing on a very good player for the wrong reasons. Still. I'm not sure Clinton-Dix is all that but I honestly have rarely watched him play. That is why I am not really lobbying for anyone too hard and I urge fans to not get so keyed in on a player that they try to find ways to downgrade others. Cuz.... we might end up with them.:eek:

Alan

Legend
Mojo Ram demonstrating the inadequacy of the like button:
i'm going down for a nap. :D
I would have given this 5 likes if the button worked right. :seizure: :cheers:

You talked me into it.