Are we taking for granted how disciplined our offense is?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Something that popped into my mind while watching other teams is how disciplined our offense is. I feel like I'm taking it for granted, but I remember under our previous few coaches how many procedural penalties we used to get. Other than a two or three false starts against Seattle (understandable), we've had next to no false starts, illegal formations, illegal shifts, etc. It is remarkable how disciplined our offense has been this year. *knock on wood*

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The coaching has been amazing from day one of this regime! You're absolutely right there were so many false starts and illegal procedures guaranteed to kill drives that just don't happen now. We may not like all the play calling but as I said in the GDT this week I think each week has the long game in mind. We may prefer more runs or a pass in different situations but I think McVay deliberately calls things the way he does with not only this weeks opponent in mind but what next weeks will see from the game film.

Look at the last 2 weeks. Seattle said screw you #30 you aint beating us. So Goff destroyed them, same as the Vikings. Denver, who sucks anyways on run defense, tried to take away the pass game and did well at it. So instead #30 averages 7.5 ypc and the team runs for 270. McVay is going to look at what the defense is giving him and exploit it as best he thinks with the whole time knowing it's going to make next weeks opponent that much more uncertain.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Tough to watch some other teams, however, I have not forgotten. The Offensive Line has three veterans along with two youngsters in Blythe & Havenstein that are old souls. Kept thinking that Havenstein was right at home in the 28 degree weather. Well disciplined and well coached!

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
I had the same thought during the game. This team really has (for better or worse) a “Patriots” vibe.

No matter how many points Brady & BB are down when the O trots out on the field you know they’ll get points and end up making it work somehow.

Having that feeling for the first time as a Rams fan is so bizarre. Almost feels like a dream !

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have to say no. Yesterday, case in point, I knew that we were going to win that game. No matter how stupid and sloppy it got there was just no way these guys were going to lose. I never really got that nervous feeling, not at all. And that's not due to our defense btw. It's due to how damn good our offense is.

Right now I wonder if the run defense will stay as sound as it was last game. And that gives me pause vs the whiners next Sunday. But I'm not too worried though because I know our offense is going to do its thing. That discipline you talk about, I think that's what makes me so confident with them, where they just never really panic or go into a shell like they used to the first time any adversity showed itself.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I dont know if we're taking it for granted. It's in my mind every week how well disciplined this team is.
Excessive penalties is definitely something he haven't had to talk about in a while though. (Unless of course Hill is on the field)

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Something that popped into my mind while watching other teams is how disciplined our offense is. I feel like I'm taking it for granted, but I remember under our previous few coaches how many procedural penalties we used to get. Other than a two or three false starts against Seattle (understandable), we've had next to no false starts, illegal formations, illegal shifts, etc. It is remarkable how disciplined our offense has been this year. *knock on wood*
Yes we are taking it for granted when in fact it's extraordinary. However I would expand the term "disciplined" to include intelligence or smarts. You don't see the line, the receivers, the qb or anyone making mistakes on the play, or failing to adjust to assignments or tempo changes or anything else. What you see is total mental grasp of what's happening and total ability to execute. It's really remarkable.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The execution and precision of this offense is remarkable because smart players are better prepared by quality coaching. It’s a collaborative effort and a rare sight to behold.

With that said, as often as we see other teams hold Aaron Donald, there have been a handful of plays I’ve seen Ram blockers get away with holding and blocks in the back and say to myself, “daaaammmnn” sometimes the refs like us! In my 54 years, i really can’t remember a time when things went our way in that regard. That’s not to say bad calls don’t go against us, there were several the last couple games, but this team is special to not let those things derail the goal of winning, not whining. That too is a disciplined approach.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
....there have been a handful of plays I’ve seen Ram blockers get away with holding and blocks in the back and say to myself, “daaaammmnn” sometimes the refs like us! .h.

I have seen Hav and Whit do the wrap around the shoulder pads, hold,and then release a few times on big pass plays (and Whit was called on it on a run play)...they have a huge advantage when doing this....we are getting the calls....except for the concussive hits.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have seen Hav and Whit do the wrap around the shoulder pads, hold,and then release a few times on big pass plays (and Whit was called on it on a run play)...they have a huge advantage when doing this....we are getting the calls....except for the concussive hits.

Well in general there's a quick time frame that going outside the pads or wrapping won't be called if the lineman releases, and understanding that fine line is a big part of playing OL at the highest level. Getting beat but disguising your hold, some guys are really good at that.

My problem with the holds on AD in particular is that they're BLATANT and CONSTANT. Sunday he was held after he broke through the line, it was obvious yet no call. Really tired of that and like I say every week as good as Sean McVay is, one of the areas he needs to improve is how he works the refs.

Snead needs to give him some footage of Parcells workin those guys. Sean's a smart dude and will get there, too. Just an area where him being young and somewhat inexperienced still affects things IMO.

Ram65

Legend
I was think similar thoughts when they put up the penalty graphic the past two weeks. They have improved or at least it seem like they in each of the past two years.

Now, if they can just stop wasting time outs. Somethings never change.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I'm taking this whole team for granted. I spent most of the past four games upset with our defense.

Kind of crazy to say that I've probably, on the whole, been as upset with this team as I've been happy. And we're 6-0.

That tells you what kind of potential this team has too.