Are there restrictions on recruiting players from the CFL??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The only restriction is that they generally aren't very good football players or else they'd be in the NFL. :ROFLMAO:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
No QBs worth considering, but I've heard there's a lot of interest in Duron Carter, Cris Carters son, and they say he might be the next great NFL receiver, they say up to 20 teams are clamoring to sign him.

Same thing with a CB, Delvin Breaux.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No QBs worth considering, but I've heard there's a lot of interest in Duron Carter, Cris Carters son, and they say he might be the next great NFL receiver, they say up to 20 teams are clamoring to sign him.

Why didn't he get drafted by an NFL team then?

V3

Hall of Fame
The only restriction is that they generally aren't very good football players or else they'd be in the NFL. :ROFLMAO:
Didn't Brandon Browner come from the CFL and go to the Seahawks and become a Pro Bowler? I'm not saying it's common but it's possible to find players in the CFL that either had bad luck with injuries or just took a while to learn.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Didn't Brandon Browner come from the CFL and go to the Seahawks and become a Pro Bowler? I'm not saying it's common but it's possible to find players in the CFL that either had bad luck with injuries or just took a while to learn.

He was drafted into the NFL (Broncos I think?) but ended up in the CFL because of injuries. There was a QB that was pulled out of the CFL a few years ago that couldn't hack it. Adrian McPherson is the name popping in my head but I couldn't say with certainty.

As @TheDYVKX mentioned, I have actually heard Duron Carter's name come up. No clue about the legitimacy of his skill level though.

EDIT: Nevermind, McPherson played in the Arena league, had a short career in the NFL, then ended up in the CFL.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Why didn't he get drafted by an NFL team then?

Because he didn't play much in college because he was academically ineligible, though apparently he's very smart but just hates school. Combine that with what used to be a lazy work ethic, and he wasn't drafted. He got tryouts though just again, didn't have the work ethic at the time. Apparently that's all changed for him now. He's 6 foot 5 205 pounds and has crazy athletic ability. I can see how he'd be seen as the next great receiver, he's a monster.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

Cameron Wake too, he's probably the biggest one. Just because they're in the CFL doesn't necessarily mean they're bad players.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Cameron Wake too, he's probably the biggest one. Just because they're in the CFL doesn't necessarily mean they're bad players.

There's definitely skill there, but given the lack of quality QBs in the NFL these days, I have a hard time believing there's much there in the CFL at that position as the OP suggested.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
There's definitely skill there, but given the lack of quality QBs in the NFL these days, I have a hard time believing there's much there in the CFL at that position as the OP suggested.
No doubt, there's no NFL caliber QBs there, at least right now. But it's always beneficial to watch the CFL closely because there are some outstanding players there.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Looks like he had a decent year and has the size and petigree

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With the changes in the passing game in the NFL and the lack of quality QBs coming out of college I would think there would be opportunities for some of these guys after they have had a couple of years to continue to grow.

FRO

Legend
I miss NFL Europe. Not the best quality, but it killed a dead period in the non football calendar.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I don't believe there are restrictions, lots of good players have come out of that league. Some good one mentioned earlier but don't forget, Dieter Brock, Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia came from the CFL.
Flutie also honed his skills in the cfl. Here's an article if any are interested in learning about current CFL QB's
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/breaking-down-qb-depth-across-the-cfl/

Scouting has advanced mightily from the Moon, Garcia, Flutie days. QBs like Moon and Garcia don't fly under the radar anymore.

TD2

UDFA
February 10: Beginning at 12 noon, New York time, NFL clubs may begin to sign players whose 2014 CFL contracts have expired. Players under contract to a CFL club for the 2015 season or who have an option for the 2015 season are not eligible to be signed.