Are the Rams Quietly Building a Powerhouse Team?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
BY JAMAL COLLIER (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON JUNE 25, 2013
<a class="postlink" href="http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1684813-are-the-st-louis-rams-quietly-building-a-powerhouse-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1684 ... house-team</a>

hi-res-158436119_crop_north.jpg

NFL dynasties aren’t built in a day—or a year, or two years—but the St. Louis Rams are filling out their application to be the next one. Two short seasons ago, they were mired in one of the league’s most unfortunate stretches of futility, going 15-65 (.188) from 2007 to 2011. They employed three different head coaches in that span; the only consistency was losing.

They started from the bottom; now they’re in the middle.

Taking a 2-14 team to 7-8-1 was a sizable step up for just one season with head coach Jeff Fisher, who introduced nearly as many undrafted rookies (six) as drafted ones (10) to their first NFL opening-day roster in 2012.

The Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers showcased the value of top-notch offensive line play by appearing in Super Bowl XLVII. Half of the O-line starters between the two teams were former first-round draft picks.

Each of them started one first-rounder on the defensive line, but they both deploy the 3-4 scheme. Meanwhile, their respective premier pass-rushers (Terrell Suggs and Aldon Smith) were former top-10 picks.

Those cues presumably led to the current constitution of St. Louis’ trenches.

Yes, Fisher and general manager Les Snead inherited first-round 4-3 defensive ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn. But they also inherited former No. 2 overall pick Jason Smith at offensive tackle—he’s gone—and their first draft pick together was defensive tackle Michael Brockers.

Then, one of their big free-agent fishes heading into year two turned out to be former Miami Dolphins (and No. 1 overall pick) offensive tackle Jake Long. That particular move presumably strengthens both tackle spots, as former second-round left tackle Rodger Saffold has been taking snaps on the right side.

A new—and healthier—offensive line still wouldn’t be enough to get St. Louis into the playoffs without some more talented guys to run with and catch the ball on offense, considering how much of the Rams’ yardage departed in free agency.

Between Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola, Brandon Gibson, Steve Smith and Matthew Mulligan, 53.6 percent of the Rams’ combined rushing and receiving yardage from 2012 won’t be back in 2013. None of those guys are even 30—though Jackson will be in July—but you can’t exactly replace them all with older players.

Instead, Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead and Zac Stacy figure to dominate the Rams’ rushing attempts. The trio has combined for 135 career NFL touches.

The receiving duties will be split among a number of inexperienced pass-catchers. Since Amendola was still in-house, Snead started building his corps on the outside in the 2012 draft with Chris Givens and Brian Quick.

It now looks like the strength of the corps may again be on the interior as Tavon Austin and Jared Cook prepare to suit up, but they all have one thing in common: youth.

Cook is 26. The three backs are 23 or younger. Austin Pettis is the Rams’ oldest wideout at 25.

Oh, and Sam Bradford is also 25.

St. Louis will surprise some people this year, but if 2013 is the best year for its core—barring a deep playoff run—something didn’t work out the right way. The young squad will have time to develop together, supplemented by a third consecutive pair of first-round picks in the 2014 NFL draft.

That’s why the whole dynasty conversation can be delayed for at least another year or two: The Rams aren’t even done building.

nighttrain

Legend
very close to done, just a few, very few, pieces missing. Who is RB? Safeties and LG, that's about it. And in my opinion, the guys to fill these spots are on the roster. A young, very good team emerging, dynasty? History will tell us
train

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
nighttrain said:
very close to done, just a few, very few, pieces missing. Who is RB? Safeties and LG, that's about it. And in my opinion, the guys to fill these spots are on the roster. A young, very good team emerging, dynasty? History will tell us
train

Yep. Next year, I think at least one of those 2 first round draft picks will finally be drafting for depth rather than instant starters. At that point, you know your team is pretty solid.

nighttrain

Legend
iBruce said:
nighttrain said:
train

Yep. Next year, I think at least one of those 2 first round draft picks will finally be drafting for depth rather than instant starters. At that point, you know your team is pretty solid.
:plus1: Truth Bruce, I could see our whole draft next year as backups, unless our RB's are total flops all. Safety might be a need. Might
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think we are building something... but until we make the playoffs its all speculation.

As much as it pains me; the Patriots and maybe the Steelers are the closest thing to the real deal every year.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Like CGI said, lets get to the playoffs first before we start talking about being a power house and dynasties.

We are on the right track though FINALLY!

You know what would be cool? Answer: Redskins is the worst team in the league because RG3 is still recovering from knee injury and because of that cannot backpack his team :] Chain events to follow then is us trading down and getting more first round picks for the future :)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Tony iz Ramlike said:
You know what would be cool? Answer: Redskins is the worst team in the league because RG3 is still recovering from knee injury and because of that cannot backpack his team :] Chain events to follow then is us trading down and getting more first round picks for the future :)

I would lose my shit if we got the #1 overall next year. Clowney all day long. ALL day long. Of course that would be a gold-mine worth of picks if they wanted to trade it away. Probably 3 more years worth of #1's, considering who will be in the top 2 come April.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Tony iz Ramlike said:

I would lose my shit if we got the #1 overall next year. Clowney all day long. ALL day long. Of course that would be a gold-mine worth of picks if they wanted to trade it away. Probably 3 more years worth of #1's, considering who will be in the top 2 come April.

Fuck that. Trade it to someone terrible for Johnny Football/Clowney and be in the top 5 again next year. Then trade again. :tooth:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Snead & Fisher should be highly commended on their work of building a outstanding foundational future Ram team. I could have not have asked for much better. Thanks big-time for what has been done.

I would say yes but when the emotion of that thought dies down I see a big big Achilles Heel. Snead & Fisher IMO have NOT built a powerhouse OL like the 9ers & the Seahawks have. So much heavy foundational work needs to be done in this area.

Fisher has purchased two high cost UFA's & inserted these pro bowlers into this OL but thus far nothing positive has been seen YET on the field where it all counts. Fisher has invested some small amounts of Ram wealth when drafting just two OL'ers both last day picks. Saffold is in his last year of a Ram contract & will be a UFA in less than 8 months. The probability that Rodger remains a Ram after this season is very low.

I foresee some serious issues with this OL in 2013 remain. Please feel free to contend with my remarks here. I would love for a fellow ROD'er to offer up some solid hope other than saying " We have PauL Boudreau". I would say those proclaims that the 2014 draft selections will be for back ups reserve material only ......how should I say this .........some serious wishful thinking at its best cause some serious foundational building is very much in need in this offensive line!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
BonifayRam mirroring my thoughts:
Snead & Fisher should be highly commended on their work of building a outstanding foundational future Ram team. I could have not have asked for much better. Thanks big-time for what has been done.

I would say yes but when the emotion of that thought dies down I see a big big Achilles Heel. Snead & Fisher IMO have NOT built a powerhouse OL like the 9ers & the Seahawks have. So much heavy foundational work needs to be done in this area.

Fisher has purchased two high cost UFA's & inserted these pro bowlers into this OL but thus far nothing positive has been seen YET on the field where it all counts. Fisher has invested some small amounts of Ram wealth when drafting just two OL'ers both last day picks. Saffold is in his last year of a Ram contract & will be a UFA in less than 8 months. The probability that Rodger remains a Ram after this season is very low.

I foresee some serious issues with this OL in 2013 remain. Please feel free to contend with my remarks here. I would love for a fellow ROD'er to offer up some solid hope other than saying " We have PauL Boudreau". I would say those proclaims that the 2014 draft selections will be for back ups reserve material only ......how should I say this .........some serious wishful thinking at its best cause some serious foundational building is very much in need in this offensive line!

Sorry about this but I agree with you. Some posters claimed to completely buy into the rational that GB uses when it comes to maintaining a constant supply of quality WRs. Draft one fairly high in every draft. I feel we should do close to the same thing at such an important part of the Offense as the O-line. Doesn't help much to have great WRs if you don't have time to throw to them.

Drafting a WR, CB, DT, DE, OL player in the top three rounds should happen every year in an alternating pattern IMO. Plus draft one lower to develop when it isn't the year to draft one high. Of course this is a general blueprint and not a hard and fast rule. I'm not sure that made sense but I understood it. :lol:

I'm not complaining about the course that Snisher has taken given that he spent big bucks on Long and we had so many holes to fill. I just want and expect him to address the problem next year in the draft. I don't believe that FA will provide any help next year because of reasons I'm too lazy to get into here.

F. Mulder

Starter
I agree about the OL being at least a question mark (and one I think will become the primary focus next offseason (much like WR and overall team speed were this offseason).

Can they be a "powerhouse"? Sure. They have acquired the potential pieces via trades and subsequent draf picks to have "their guys in place. The $100 question is whether any, some, or all of these picks result in the production expected of them.

Does Bradford move from a good young QB to a top-tier QB?

Do the young WRs catch on or are we left lamenting a high pick on Quick (or Austin or Bailey for that matter)?

Does the 2-headed TE position lead to double-barrel production or does one or both fail to live up to their "potential"?

Does a RB or even two take the next step in being a reliable and productive NFL RB or is someone like Pead another "wasted" high pick?

Does Quinn make the next step?

Does JL become a stud or just a solid LBer?

Does Ogletree translate his athletic ability into a productive, or even a star LBer?

Does Jenkins, and to a lesser degree Johnson, continue to progress?

I think at worst the Rams can be a good solid team capable of playing with anyone. What we need, are players on that solid team who are stars/playmakers; guys who can change the impact of a game with a few key plays or an overall dominant game. There are a lot of solid NFL teams that are always around 8-8 or 9-7. Sometimes they sneak into the playoffs and then lose in round 1. Sometimes they don't. To me the Rams need to have something above and beyond the solid foundation they are establishing to be a powerhouse. They need the players who are supposed to be difference makers to BE difference makers.

The thing I am most excited about is the young nucleus being established by a good coaching staff. That nucleus will only be added to after next years draft. What makes me nervous is the unknown in young players beoming the players the staff, and fans hope/expect them to become because without that is is just another wasted opportunity.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Stranger said:
There aint nothin QUIET about it :)

I think that's true. The media has been talking about the Rams a pretty decent amount and it seems to me that every time the 49ers and Seahawks come up on a talk show there is always mention of what Fisher and Snead have done and that the Rams are a team to watch.