Are the Rams on a collision course for Cook?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I could see Cook falling to the second round based on the media being down on him since his Archie Griffin gaffe and his bad Bowl game. He could be that nice steal in the 2nd like Derek Carr slid a couple of years ago. A Treadwell/Cook combo or Rankins/Cook or maybe even Smith/Cook.

I think this is the year to grab a guy with a top 45 pick though. There will be 3-5 options when you include Cook, Prescott and Hackenberg depending on Free Agency and how you Draft around the QB. Snead and Fisher have done a fantastic job of holding their cards close til it's time to make a pick. I could easily see them going BPA at 15 and targeting a guy in 2nd. I think having Keenum ready to start the year takes the pressure off of throwing a guy in immediately.

I don't think that top QB surprise from the second round on is in this draft. Maybe if Prescott can continue developing, but do the Rams want a QB or do they want a really good one?

For me, I got a man crush for Carson Wentz through out this process.

Goff slight fame scares me a lot, Lynch med range outside the hashes scare me. Maybe Cook can grow up BUT asking a QB to grow up Fn scares me too. So I am all in and willing to take our lumps giving up draft assets to lock up Wentz.

I will openly admit to sitting on the fence until the combine process finishes to figure out how I rank QBs 2-4

I just think the NFL is moving forward w/ QBs like Wentz/Bortles size.

For what it's worth I would sacrifice a couple of top picks in 2017 draft plus our 1st, 1-2nd to insure Wentz is ours!
Nut up is right @jrry32 Lets be bold!

Edit: Tenn could land a LT and add another top DL in Rd2 if they were smart. Lets hope their new GM wants to make a splash

Being bold would be nice. But if they sit at 15 a guy like Jaylen Smith could fall to them, or a great DT should be available. Mayor's thinks there are DTs that will go in round 3 that would be first rounders in other drafts. Pretty incredible if true. Say the Rams convince themselves that Nkemdiche is safe and he falls due to character concerns.

I absolutely hate the idea of Cook getting drafted for the Rams.

Mayock also said something interesting during his conference call. He was asked about what traits does he look at to determine mental toughness. And he said after a QB takes a big hit or makes a bad interception--then he went directly to bring up how in the Alabama-Michigan State game when Mich State was driving at the end of the half Cook throws a bad interception and they never recovered--he basically said Cook shut it down.

He then went on to trash Cook even more saying the QB as also your best player not being a team captain is a red flag, the fact that he didnt show up to the Senior Bowl to compete with Wentz looks bad, isnt a 60% completion guy etc

Mayor's has turned me back to off on Cook. The mental/emotional side isn't something you just fix.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
We are in a terrible spot in terms of needing a QB and quite frankly there really is not a QB in this draft I can say is a great fit. I like Goff but in most drafts, I would like him at around 15, not sure he is a top 3 type of player. Not crazy about any of these QB as top 10 picks.

That being said, I would love to see us move a 2nd rounder or 3rd and Foles to get a Garoppolo, Mike Glennon type. Then use that first rounder on a player like Treadwell.

Keenum becomes a good backup and gives you another year to develop Mannion.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think that top QB surprise from the second round on is in this draft. Maybe if Prescott can continue developing, but do the Rams want a QB or do they want a really good one?

I actually do like some other QBs into the 2nd and 3rd tiers of guys. Prescott's accuracy is downright terrible at times but with mechanics work he's probably going to end up succeeding as a starter at some point. Driskel is a guy I could see succeeding too, has all the measurables you want. Coker and Sudfield are big bodied projects with good arms. Allen is going to go late due to his micro hands but man that dude can spin it, he reminds me very much of Brees when I watch his film.

But your point is valid Elm: do the Rams want a QB or do they want a really good one? That is the heart of things here IMO and why I think many of us want to see a trade up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We are in a terrible spot in terms of needing a QB and quite frankly there really is not a QB in this draft I can say is a great fit. I like Goff but in most drafts, I would like him at around 15, not sure he is a top 3 type of player. Not crazy about any of these QB as top 10 picks.

That being said, I would love to see us move a 2nd rounder or 3rd and Foles to get a Garoppolo, Mike Glennon type. Then use that first rounder on a player like Treadwell.

Keenum becomes a good backup and gives you another year to develop Mannion.

Cowherd was talking to McKay about projections and he said to look at a prospect and compare him to similar pros and get a best middle worst case scenario. I believe his best for Goff was Matt Ryan and worst was Joey Harrington. Some say his arm is just not strong enough to force he ball downfield, when a hard pass is needed. That is a concern because it could take away a lot of plays. How much is it worth to move up for Matt Ryan? I like him, but he is not the type to carry the team. He plays well within himself and is football smart. So, would he be worth multiple first round picks?

There is a point where you say, what do the Rams need to win a Super bowl at the QB position and what would be a luxury. Plus what is the teams window for reaching the big game. Some think Wentz and especially Lynch won't hit their stride for two years. So moving up o take a guy who won't be good for two years should lessen his value, because it could take or three. years to decide if he really can do it or not. That is two or three years closer to the window closing. Maybe getting amore pro read y QB would be best for the Rams big picture.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some say his arm is just not strong enough to force he ball downfield, when a hard pass is needed. That is a concern because it could take away a lot of plays.

Well I'll interject this Elm... Of all the measurables used for QBs the most overrated is probably arm strength. All that matters is whether a QB has enough arm when you look at the position history in the draft. Can they throw those deep outs on a timing pattern without the ball floating? If so, they have enough arm to play in the NFL. Goff has plenty of arm.

Quick processing and accuracy are far more important in my estimation. From that perspective Goff is also gonna be fine. His OL was terrible and did a good job of preparing him for how to move in the pocket and to handle a rush like he will in the NFL. He is accurate, and has nice actual touch on the ball as well. What I like about him is when you watch Cal they were not really a great team around him. He suffered consistent pressure from protection breakdowns, drops from his receiving corps, etc and overcame them quite often in order to give his team a chance.

The combine throwing session on Saturday will be huge for the Rams to plan from. All of these guys throwing is going to be that final piece that Snead needs to stack them and make a good estimate on what they're gonna do. Really hope they get this right man.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If the negative leadership buzz is all correct, then he certainly wouldn't be a good fit on a team with very little offensive leadership. Our offense is awful young, we need a strong leader at QB, IMO.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Holly Hell, can't believe what I'm reading - Cook is arguably the 2nd best QB if not the 1st in the draft !
(Don't hurt me Jrry)
and any questions about his character and not being voted captain is just silly
Like Cook said - how can a team like Michigan Stare function so well to get to the College Football Playoffs if he wasn't well liked - I mean F Archie Manning, that takes you from speculative Top ten pick going into the 2015 season to the second round in feb of 2016??? Is anyone serious when they say that cause Cook didn't dry hump Archie's leg he's gonna drop
The guy makes all the throws and besides this bullshite about inaccuracy -is just plain inaccurate - the guy is 6'-4" a champ and can ball
My only concern is everybody is buying this crap and not looking at the film, and he'll fall to a playoff team who can groom him and he ends up being a star, if not a really reliable NFL QB
I'd take Connor Cook at #15 and id be thrilled as sin

Again - his teammates love the guy
He is a champion
Case (No Keenum) Closed (y)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Holly Hell, can't believe what I'm reading - Cook is arguably the 2nd best QB if not the 1st in the draft !
(Don't hurt me Jrry)
Like Cook said - how can a team like Michigan Stare function so well to get to the College Football Playoffs if he wasn't well liked - I mean F Archie Manning, that takes you from speculative Top ten pick going into the 2015 season to the second round in feb of 2016??? Is anyone serious when they say that cause Cook didn't dry hump Archie's leg he's gonna drop
The guy makes all the throws and besides this bullshite about inaccuracy -is just plain inaccurate - the guy is 6'-4" a champ and can ball
My only concern is everybody is buying this crap and not looking at the film, and he'll fall to a playoff team who can groom him and he ends up being a star, if not a really reliable NFL QB
I'd take Connor Cook at #15 and id be thrilled as sin

Again - his teammates love the guy
He is a champion
Case (No Keenum) Closed (y)

View attachment 12271 View attachment 12272 View attachment 12273
And teams will figure that out pretty easily, if there are character concerns.

Ants

Starter
I could see Cook falling to the second round based on the media being down on him since his Archie Griffin gaffe and his bad Bowl game. He could be that nice steal in the 2nd like Derek Carr slid a couple of years ago. A Treadwell/Cook combo or Rankins/Cook or maybe even Smith/Cook.

I think this is the year to grab a guy with a top 45 pick though. There will be 3-5 options when you include Cook, Prescott and Hackenberg depending on Free Agency and how you Draft around the QB. Snead and Fisher have done a fantastic job of holding their cards close til it's time to make a pick. I could easily see them going BPA at 15 and targeting a guy in 2nd. I think having Keenum ready to start the year takes the pressure off of throwing a guy in immediately.

I agree with most/all of this. I would be happy with Prescott in the 2nd. Gotta go BPA in the 1st, though.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Cowherd was talking to McKay about projections and he said to look at a prospect and compare him to similar pros and get a best middle worst case scenario. I believe his best for Goff was Matt Ryan and worst was Joey Harrington. Some say his arm is just not strong enough to force he ball downfield, when a hard pass is needed. That is a concern because it could take away a lot of plays. How much is it worth to move up for Matt Ryan? I like him, but he is not the type to carry the team. He plays well within himself and is football smart. So, would he be worth multiple first round picks?

There is a point where you say, what do the Rams need to win a Super bowl at the QB position and what would be a luxury. Plus what is the teams window for reaching the big game. Some think Wentz and especially Lynch won't hit their stride for two years. So moving up o take a guy who won't be good for two years should lessen his value, because it could take or three. years to decide if he really can do it or not. That is two or three years closer to the window closing. Maybe getting amore pro read y QB would be best for the Rams big picture.

Actually that Goff comp is a pretty good one. I would prefer to go with a more experienced player like a year or 2 of experience under their belt that could/should start. I think if you take a 3 year window of 2016-2018 a Garoppolo or Glennon is a better option than any QB in this draft. To me Keenum has a low ceiling and if we draft a guy and let him sit a year we are still looking at best another 7 win year and then we are hoping whoever that draft pick is pans out.

Personally I think Glennon would be a good fit for this team

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Curious why you think this is not an issue. I agree with what you said about him the player, but how can you ignore the potential character flaws.

this bullshite about inaccuracy -is just plain inaccurate

Again why no concern on this?

I like the player and think he might/probably will end up being the best of this bunch if he is right between the ears. I will never get to interview the kid so its hard for me to judge his personality, but its hard to ignore all that is being said too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the Rams want Cook, sure. If they want one of the top 3, nut up and make the sacrifices necessary to trade up. I also highly doubt Cook falls to our 2nd round pick.

He'll need a good combine Counselor because I believe he will fall to the 2nd round, but I'm in agreement in identifying your guy and trading up to get him, within reason of course. However, I don't believe it will be Wentz because the Browns will take him and then Goff to the 49ers which leaves Lynch who I would trade up with the Giants at 10 in order to be ahead of the Eagles and then draft Lynch.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Connor Cook is having a pretty good press conference today. Coming across as intelligent, honest, and likable. He said he was captain for 4 of his games, and that captains were picked by game, by a leadership counsel comprised of team members, as which he was a part of.

Side note: Pack coach, Mike McCarthy raving about Brett Hundley, and how happy is is to have him. thinks he has a bright future, and is good in all aspects, locker room, QB room, field reps, work ethic, and learning curve.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Connor Cook is having a pretty good press conference today. Coming across as intelligent, honest, and likable. He said he was captain for 4 of his games, and that captains were picked by game, by a leadership counsel comprised of team members, as which he was a part of.

Side note: Pack coach, Mike McCarthy raving about Brett Hundley, and how happy is is to have him. thinks he has a bright future, and is good in all aspects, locker room, QB room, field reps, work ethic, and learning curve.

I hoping that Cook is a major :rockon:Combine Buzz :shooting:Storm that cause 31 NFL teams (exception LA Rams) to loose their minds. Where Cook races to the top of the QB mountain:mrburnsevil:! :yess:

Then the Rams (being the only sane NFL team) has its pick of the rest of the sorry limp noddle armed QB prospects @ #15.:sneaky:

I would not consider Cook a steal with either of our 2nd round picks. It may be still to much of a reach then.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I hoping that Cook is a major :rockon:Combine Buzz :shooting:Storm that cause 31 NFL teams (exception LA Rams) to loose their minds. Where Cook races to the top of the QB mountain:mrburnsevil:! :yess:

Then the Rams (being the only sane NFL team) has its pick of the rest of the sorry limp noddle armed QB prospects @ #15.:sneaky:

I would not consider Cook a steal with either of our 2nd round picks. It may be still to much of a reach then.
Top of the mountain, I doubt it. 2nd round pick, very possible. It seems to me that if you listen close enough to Snead, he said that he'd be looking to identify a QB that no one is talking about, as a guy that they want to find. To me, I interpret that as a name, not in the top 3, but would include pretty much everyone else.

It also indicates to me that we won't go up, or may not use our first on a QB. We'll see.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Top of the mountain, I doubt it. 2nd round pick, very possible. It seems to me that if you listen close enough to Snead, he said that he'd be looking to identify a QB that no one is talking about, as a guy that they want to find. To me, I interpret that as a name, not in the top 3, but would include pretty much everyone else.

It also indicates to me that we won't go up, or may not use our first on a QB. We'll see.

I am just fine with that DR RAM. I not in with for trading the farm of draft picks mob. Obvious after reading my post above I am far far from being a Conner Cook fan and do not want him in the Rams uniform unless he comes via a third day draft pick. I have seen enough of him the last few years to prefer Snead goes a total different route.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am just fine with that DR RAM. I not in with for trading the farm of draft picks mob. Obvious after reading my post above I am far far from being a Conner Cook fan and do not want him in the Rams uniform unless he comes via a third day draft pick. I have seen enough of him the last few years to prefer Snead goes a total different route.
He is a very polarizing player for most. He is talented. I have a hard time knowing where to put him. I think he's a 2nd to 3rd rounder, but has some late first round talent.

My preference for a QB, would be to have a mobile one. A QB that could move the chains occasionally, and play safe, would fit well with our team philosophy. I'm done with QB's that can't get out of trouble, or be able to move the chains with their feet. It's a simplistic view, and of course, there is a lot more involved than that, but I really want those attributes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He is a very polarizing player for most. He is talented. I have a hard time knowing where to put him. I think he's a 2nd to 3rd rounder, but has some late first round talent.

My preference for a QB, would be to have a mobile one. A QB that could move the chains occasionally, and play safe, would fit well with our team philosophy. I'm done with QB's that can't get out of trouble, or be able to move the chains with their feet. It's a simplistic view, and of course, there is a lot more involved than that, but I really want those attributes.

:coach:I'm done with QB's that can't get out of trouble, or be able to move the chains with their feet.

Dog gone, you nailed it perfectly & I never said anything on it in any of my posts!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I am still buying stock in Bonifay and Dr. Ram despite your aversion to my nephew, errr, I mean Connor Cook :LOL:

Again for the sake of being on record :
This idea about Cook not being a captain and that being an indicator of a poor leader is again hilarious to me - so does that mean all the other kids on the roster aren't leaders either if they aren't designated captain? Or is it just the QB isn't a leader if he's not captain? Just wanna make sure what non-football aspect is driving him down the draft boards

Can anyone show me why you think he's third round talent? Is it the pick against National Champions Alabama with their entire 1st round defensive line and secondary? Is that the mistake he made? Watch it again it's an aggressive and risky throw cause they were getting their asses handed to them

The dude is gonna make an excellent pro