Are the Rams on a collision course for Cook?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know the way this whole thing is looking to me right now, it seems the Rams are going to end up with Cook. To begin with, even though some of us would love to see them move up for QB I have to admit it is unlikely and there's a good chance both Goff and Wentz are gone very early. Lynch has an insane ceiling and in spite of him needing more development teams like the Eagles are going to take a hard look at him.

So there is a good chance the Rams will be sitting at 15 with three QBs off the board. What is their grade then on Cook? For all my concerns on the guy I will admit the fact he's a true senior and has played a lot of snaps in a pro offense for a good program makes him a good fit for the Rams. He could conceivably start right away for the Rams, which has a great deal of value for them.

Pat Kirwan was talking about Cook in particular the other day and mentioned he thinks the guy is going to rise when teams sit him down for interviews and chalkboard sessions. He also talked about if you like the guy take him at 15 or whatever since it's risky to move down and hope the guy will be there and in a few years nobody is going to care whether you took the guy at a value position only whether he works out for you.

If the Rams enter the draft with Keenum/Foles/Mannion they are gonna have very little room for error. Seems to me at this point at least that the stars are aligning for the Rams to end up with this kid at QB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes, I think there is a very good chance that Connor Cook is the guy that we will be looking at in a Rams uniform this coming season. I would like a trade up but I don't think it will happen. I prefer Lynch over Cook but with other needs maybe the Rams should let the draft come to them.

However, do you take Cook at 15? Or, do you risk waiting until round 2? I guess the combine and private workouts will shed some light on that. Draft pundits will start being fed info from scouts and have an idea how the draft order will shake out. Some of these analysts don't think any of the QBs are top 5 material and some only have two in round 1. But that is based on evaluation and not team info. We all know that predicting where QBs go in the draft is not easy to do.

I don't think the Rams trade to Number 1.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes, I think there is a very good chance that Connor Cook is the guy that we will be looking at in a Rams uniform this coming season. I would like a trade up but I don't think it will happen. I prefer Lynch over Cook but with other needs maybe the Rams should let the draft come to them.

However, do you take Cook at 15? Or, do you risk waiting until round 2? I guess the combine and private workouts will shed some light on that. Draft pundits will start being fed info from scouts and have an idea how the draft order will shake out. Some of these analysts don't think any of the QBs are top 5 material and some only have two in round 1. But that is based on evaluation and not team info. We all know that predicting where QBs go in the draft is not easy to do.

I don't think the Rams trade to Number 1.

Best place to select Cook is with our #43 second round pick. A very rock solid absolutely NO with our first round #15 pick. Sating that I am sure that he would not be a good 2nd rd pick there either.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
The Rams best picks in the first round have been the best player available. Outside of Wentz, Goff, and Lynch we should stick with that strategy. I really don't see scenario where Cook is the BPA at 15. Second round that's another story. There are also some serious questions about Cook's leadership ability and I don't think that is great fit for a team that just got rid off their two biggest leaders

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I thought you were talking about our ex TE for like two paragraphs.

Now that is a collision we don't need!

tahoe

Pro Bowler
No way do I want Cook in a rams uni at any point. He has bust writen all over him! Nope, no, nada, not a chance.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we took a QB in round 3 last year, then we'll take one in the 2nd round this year. So next year we draft one in Round1???

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams want Cook, sure. If they want one of the top 3, nut up and make the sacrifices necessary to trade up. I also highly doubt Cook falls to our 2nd round pick.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
So we draft Cook who needs development to go with our other developmental QB and Keenum. Do we keep Foles as the #2? So we have 4 QB;s? Or if we draft Cook do we let Mannion go if he can't push Keenum?
Is Cook's upside that much better than Mannion, that's the question.
Spend the picks to get a legit prospect and win some games for a change.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
So we took a QB in round 3 last year, then we'll take one in the 2nd round this year. So next year we draft one in Round1???
On the bright side if Keenum ,Cook, Mannion doesn't work out well we won't have to trade up to get next years top prospect.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the bright side if Keenum ,Cook, Mannion doesn't work out well we won't have to trade up to get next years top prospect.
Well, if they don't work out well, seems like 7-9 is pretty much a certainty....

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Well, if they don't work out well, seems like 7-9 is pretty much a certainty....
I agree.
But if it was that 3 and something happened early to Keenum and Mannion, Cook really had growing pains I could see 4-12.
If Foles had played all the snaps Keenum got do you think we get 7 wins last year?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree.
But if it was that 3 and something happened early to Keenum and Mannion, Cook really had growing pains I could see 4-12.
If Foles had played all the snaps Keenum got do you think we get 7 wins last year?
I think its become one of those cosmic universe type thingies. Fisher wins 7 games, 6 if the wheels fall off and 8 if they excel.
Ya know, because the universe says so.
I'm banking on Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley to tell the universe to stick it

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I could see Cook falling to the second round based on the media being down on him since his Archie Griffin gaffe and his bad Bowl game. He could be that nice steal in the 2nd like Derek Carr slid a couple of years ago. A Treadwell/Cook combo or Rankins/Cook or maybe even Smith/Cook.

I think this is the year to grab a guy with a top 45 pick though. There will be 3-5 options when you include Cook, Prescott and Hackenberg depending on Free Agency and how you Draft around the QB. Snead and Fisher have done a fantastic job of holding their cards close til it's time to make a pick. I could easily see them going BPA at 15 and targeting a guy in 2nd. I think having Keenum ready to start the year takes the pressure off of throwing a guy in immediately.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Cook has taken about all the licks he's gonna take this offseason. He does have questions around him but when I see people ranking him next to Hackenburg I gotta laugh a little because there is just an enormous difference between their film. Yeah, the dude concerns me a bit, but he is not going to last far into round 2 if he even gets out of round 1 which I believe to be unlikely. I think he goes 25 overall range, that is where value starts rolling in on him.

Only way he last into round 2 is if Lynch slides into the 20s which is also very unlikely. Rams, if they like Cook, can move down a little and still expect him to be there but is it worth the risk? If you think the guy is going to be a good QB in this league you STFU and take him right there at 15.

And again here is my disclaimer that I'd be moving up and not F'ing around with QB. But assuming the Rams don't move up, it is looking more and more like Cook will be in play for them at 15 or maybe after a small move down to accrue more picks.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Cook has taken about all the licks he's gonna take this offseason. He does have questions around him but when I see people ranking him next to Hackenburg I gotta laugh a little because there is just an enormous difference between their film. Yeah, the dude concerns me a bit, but he is not going to last far into round 2 if he even gets out of round 1 which I believe to be unlikely. I think he goes 25 overall range, that is where value starts rolling in on him.

Only way he last into round 2 is if Lynch slides into the 20s which is also very unlikely. Rams, if they like Cook, can move down a little and still expect him to be there but is it worth the risk? If you think the guy is going to be a good QB in this league you STFU and take him right there at 15.

And again here is my disclaimer that I'd be moving up and not F'ing around with QB. But assuming the Rams don't move up, it is looking more and more like Cook will be in play for them at 15 or maybe after a small move down to accrue more picks.

I am insanely in the Goff camp. Wentz is my other favourite.

But; I'd probably put Cook as my #3 right now.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
For me, I got a man crush for Carson Wentz through out this process.

Goff slight fame scares me a lot, Lynch med range outside the hashes scare me. Maybe Cook can grow up BUT asking a QB to grow up Fn scares me too. So I am all in and willing to take our lumps giving up draft assets to lock up Wentz.

I will openly admit to sitting on the fence until the combine process finishes to figure out how I rank QBs 2-4

I just think the NFL is moving forward w/ QBs like Wentz/Bortles size.

For what it's worth I would sacrifice a couple of top picks in 2017 draft plus our 1st, 1-2nd to insure Wentz is ours!
Nut up is right @jrry32 Lets be bold!

Edit: Tenn could land a LT and add another top DL in Rd2 if they were smart. Lets hope their new GM wants to make a splash

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
The more I think about C. Cook and all the red flags he has, the more I think he won't be a risk entering year 5 of Snead & Fisher's program. Rams are at a point "we need" to hit at QB. Besides its the Fn QB position can't risk the headaches, its just that simple.
Nut up time folks!

WvuIN02

Starter
I absolutely hate the idea of Cook getting drafted for the Rams.

Mayock also said something interesting during his conference call. He was asked about what traits does he look at to determine mental toughness. And he said after a QB takes a big hit or makes a bad interception--then he went directly to bring up how in the Alabama-Michigan State game when Mich State was driving at the end of the half Cook throws a bad interception and they never recovered--he basically said Cook shut it down.

He then went on to trash Cook even more saying the QB as also your best player not being a team captain is a red flag, the fact that he didnt show up to the Senior Bowl to compete with Wentz looks bad, isnt a 60% completion guy etc