Are the Rams grooming Sean Mannion to replace Case Keenum?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What do you want to happen?

• Total voters

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I stand corrected. The Rams are stacked with experience at QB.

Did not say we are"stacked". Just corrected your statement that he had not played. He did in garbage time and did not fall on his face, went 6 of 7, no Tds no interceptions.

However, I do think we are better off than many think and that depending how things go; backup QB maybe our most valuable trade chip.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Dude I can't stand Foles and thought we dropped the ball not making Austin Davis the starter and helping him grow but I just think Foles was really screwed up after the Packers game thats all
I'd agree that he was more screwed up after the Packers game but I have never liked Foles' game. When the first inklings that Philly might be looking to move him came up, people were saying he'd be a good fit here. I kept saying that in our game against them the season before, that Foles was the second best QB on the field that day by a fair amount. I pointed out several issues - throwing late, throwing up ducks and getting bailed out on pathetic PI calls TWICE, etc.. Davis was far better than Foles on that day. I sure hoped I was wrong when we made the trade but alas... He was the Foles I knew.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thats what I'm saying, btw people still say hate when I bring up Austin Davis because they seem to always blame him on giving up a 21-0 lead to the Cowboys or blowing a 28 point comeback against Philly...Will never understand the hate.
Yep. Our team lost both those games. Offense, defense, and even special teams. I thought Davis was actually pretty damn good in the Philly game if our line could have given him even a couple seconds it would have been nice.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
As memorable days go, the opener against Seattle might be #1.
But Stu (503), is right - Foles did not look good in that game. He got a gift TD, didn't see an open Britt twice, and without Austin's return for a TD, we lose.
The pass to Bailey in OT was perfect, but only in a blind squirrel way.

Brockers and Donald won that game, and man...
...was it ever SUHWEET!

…..

Legend
Ideally you want to see Goff start with Mannion earning the backup spot.

This saves money, but as other have mentioned, its got to be performance based.

Shame about Mannion. You'd think the Pac12's all time leading passer would get more of a shot. He needs reps. I doubt he gets that many.

Jake your poll seems more opinion based than reality based, the Rams need to put the best players on the roster, and I dont care who they are.

HellRam

Starter
Thats what I'm saying, btw people still say hate when I bring up Austin Davis because they seem to always blame him on giving up a 21-0 lead to the Cowboys or blowing a 28 point comeback against Philly...Will never understand the hate.

I don't care what anyone says...that game vs the Cowboys was rigged. The Rams had no chance. So many phantom calls. I remember leaving the bar early like 2 min warning, I couldn't take it anymore.. me and this other Cowboy fan were bouta get down( I was highly out numbered). Ugh bad Sunday.

Looking back maybe the fix was in... Jerry Jones was Stan's man when it came to relocation. I'm a conspiracy theory guy. :cautious:

HellRam

Starter
As memorable days go, the opener against Seattle might be #1.
But Stu (503), is right - Foles did not look good in that game. He got a gift TD, didn't see an open Britt twice, and without Austin's return for a TD, we lose.
The pass to Bailey in OT was perfect, but only in a blind squirrel way.

Brockers and Donald won that game, and man...
...was it ever SUHWEET!

I think some are overlooking how well Foles played in that game.

18/27 completions, 297 yards, 1td 0 int, 4 rush for 11 yards and a rushing TD. 115.8 passer rating.

He wasn't perfect but that's a pretty damn good game vs a good defense. Not that it matters... he's a goner anyways. Just sayin..

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep. Our team lost both those games. Offense, defense, and even special teams. I thought Davis was actually pretty damn good in the Philly game if our line could have given him even a couple seconds it would have been nice.
If you told me after that game he wouldn't even MAKE the roster the next year I would have been shocked but then realize Jeff Fisher is our head coach haha

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I don't care what anyone says...that game vs the Cowboys was rigged. The Rams had no chance. So many phantom calls. I remember leaving the bar early like 2 min warning, I couldn't take it anymore.. me and this other Cowboy fan were bouta get down( I was highly out numbered). Ugh bad Sunday.

Looking back maybe the fix was in... Jerry Jones was Stan's man when it came to relocation. I'm a conspiracy theory guy. :cautious:
COOK DROPPED THE BALL AND THE GAME THEN SHOVED AUSTIN DAVIS! That's what I remembered. Did you know Austin Davis would have thrown his 4th touchdown in that game. No Rams QB has done that since 06' (Marc Bulger against the Redskins). So the idea that a guy who brought our offense to the level of just being exciting again, gets cut for 2 average at best QB's, it's just a tough pill to swallow. I think the Rams made the wrong move and I will stand by that until Goff or Mannion become very good.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

Another thing all I know is our offense wasn't the same after last season and this season we had the fewest sacks given up in the league and todd gurley...Crazy how last season Shaun Hill and Austin Davis made for a more exciting offense when they didn't have the protection or the star RB to deal with...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Davis was fun to watch. The guy was having fun out there and it showed.

HellRam

Starter
Another thing all I know is our offense wasn't the same after last season and this season we had the fewest sacks given up in the league and todd gurley...Crazy how last season Shaun Hill and Austin Davis made for a more exciting offense when they didn't have the protection or the star RB to deal with...

Perplexing it is. Here's anouther crazy stat.. In 8 starting games for the Rams Austin Davis had 12 passing TDs, last season the Rams had a total of 11 passing TDs in all 16 games. Now that's crazy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Really? How so? When they relied on Keenum to beat a given up, lousy 49er team, he played terrible.
He was 3-2, not exactly an endorsement for "winning"
BTW, in Shaun Hill first 5 starts, the Rams were 3-2 as well. Austin Davis was 2-3 and after 3 starts looked like the next hidden gem...
I like Keenum, think he's a good back up. But I surely don't look at his 3-2 record as a sign of winning, just like I didn't look at his 0-8 record in Houston as an indication that he was a loser either

That is so much BS !!!
-- The Rams should have taken Keenum out with the concussion against Baltimore . Stupid Kicker missed a average field goal.
--Case put The Rams in position to win. ISame against The 9ers . The play calling went conservative . He did miss passes for sure,but he gave The Rams a great chance to win in both losses.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Foles still on the team? If so, why? He needs cut ASAP.

Why cut him? There is a small chance they can trade him once other teams have injuries.

There is also a non-zero chance that the Rams will have an injury and need him.

They don't need the roster spot, it is not costing the Rams any money at the moment to keep him. There's no particular reason to cut him at this time. Now, the situation could change - once training camp opens there might be a rash of injuries at another position, necessitating signing depth elsewhere, for instance. But since the Rams would want 4 QBs to go into training camp, why cut him, to replace him with a camp arm that is actually worse than Foles played last year? (and Foles has played better than that in the past)

Snead is not paid to cut players out of hate, but to make decisions for the good of the team.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Why cut him? There is a small chance they can trade him once other teams have injuries.

There is also a non-zero chance that the Rams will have an injury and need him.

They don't need the roster spot, it is not costing the Rams any money at the moment to keep him. There's no particular reason to cut him at this time. Now, the situation could change - once training camp opens there might be a rash of injuries at another position, necessitating signing depth elsewhere, for instance. But since the Rams would want 4 QBs to go into training camp, why cut him, to replace him with a camp arm that is actually worse than Foles played last year? (and Foles has played better than that in the past)

Snead is not paid to cut players out of hate, but to make decisions for the good of the team.
Wow, were did I say to cut Foles out of hate? This is the same thing people dumped on me when I said they should cut Cook around this time last year.:whistle:
If they need him this season then the Rams are going 1-15.
If they need 4 QB's in camp then sure keep him just for that. Keeping him past preseason is not for the good of the team, regardless of whether it it is him or Fisher and his offense last year. I hope he can play well for another team, he did play well in Philly.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, were did I say to cut Foles out of hate? This is the same thing people dumped on me when I said they should cut Cook around this time last year.:whistle:
If they need him this season then the Rams are going 1-15.
If they need 4 QB's in camp then sure keep him just for that. Keeping him past preseason is not for the good of the team, regardless of whether it it is him or Fisher and his offense last year. I hope he can play well for another team, he did play well in Philly.

You asked strongly why he was still on the team, and that he should be cut ASAP. Not exactly the words of someone evaluating purely on the Rams' needs.

Oh, the Rams were 4-7 with him starting, so saying that they would go 1-15 if the Rams need him this season (presumably even as a backup, since that's what the thread is about) is not exactly a rational viewpoint uninfluenced by hate and anger at him.

FWIW, NOBODY has advocated planning on him past preseason. But if and when he's cut, it should be because of team needs, not ASAP.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't know why any decision they make regarding the backup quarterback position wouldn't be based on performance
If we're going off performance...I think I'm cutting Keenum...and Foles...at the end of camp...I'm giving Mannion & Goff every rep.....

I will say this. Foles was playing well until the Packers game.
http://www.footballperspective.com/nick-foles-blake-bortles-and-passing-yards-in-wins-and-losses/
two of the best examples of that are Nick Folesand Blake Bortles.

Foles has lost 17 games where he was the starting quarterback; in those games, his average stat line was 21/38 for 214 passing yards, 0.7 TDs and 1.1 INTs. He also has started and won 19 games; in those games, his average stat line was 19/30, for 258 passing yards, 2.1 TDs, and 0.4 INTs. That paints the picture of a guy who is much better in wins than losses, which makes a lot of sense. (Also, 7 of his 17 losses have come during his ugly time with the Rams, compared to just 4 of 19 wins.)
I've always hated Foles game...since college...just wasn't impressed.
I was a big Austin Davis fan myself..when he was on the dude was ON. It was definitely a rollercoaster ride with him, considering it was his first playing time in the NFL I thought he played pretty damn decent.
Davis was fun to watch. The guy was having fun out there and it showed.
Davis is really an average QB too...of course we should have kept him...at least he knew how to find Quick.....
If we spent a 3rd on Mannion, we need to get that guy ready to backup Goff, this year....Goff needs to play...keep it simple...lots of Gurley and play action passes, we'll be cool....

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If we're going off performance...I think I'm cutting Keenum...and Foles...at the end of camp...I'm giving Mannion & Goff every rep.....

http://www.footballperspective.com/nick-foles-blake-bortles-and-passing-yards-in-wins-and-losses/

I've always hated Foles game...since college...just wasn't impressed.

Davis is really an average QB too...of course we should have kept him...at least he knew how to find Quick.....
If we spent a 3rd on Mannion, we need to get that guy ready to backup Goff, this year....Goff needs to play...keep it simple...lots of Gurley and play action passes, we'll be cool....
I don't think Davis was average I think he got screwed over after his rookie season fisher didn't like even let him play in pre-season it was highly unfair and not only was it a disadvantage for his chance at a spot on the rams but teams didn't get a chance to see what he could do.

A55VA6

Legend
I think Keenum is a guy I would like to keep as our backup, but I do like Mannion. I'm interested to see how Mannion looks in the preseason. If he plays really well, I wouldn't mind seeing him backup Goff in the future.