Are the Rams grooming Sean Mannion to replace Case Keenum?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What do you want to happen?

• Total voters

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The play of rookie QB's in the last 10 years has for the most part been pretty good. I don't see why Goff would be any sort of exception to that

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This team is good enough to win with Keenum. They have proven that. Play the guy who gives you the best chance to win!!! It is THAT simple!!! If the coaches feel it is Goff, then either he had an amazing camp or Keenum had an awful one. I pray the only reason we see Goff week one is because he earned it. We are not a rebuilding team anymore and thus should not start a rookie just because he was #1 overall. Every game is important!! I couldn't care less who is playing QB1 as long as the Rams are winning games with him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I will say this. Foles was playing well until the Packers game. After that hit early in the game by Clay Mathews he was never the same and that went on as long as he played. It sucks for him cause I think he is better than Keenum but everyone hates him and I think because of that they overrate Keenum who is mediocre at best. I personally believe we should have just kept Austin Davis and developed him more this year. The Rams dropped the ball on him...
Y'know - I actually couldn't disagree more. He had one good game IMO in the early season and that was against AZ. I was at the opener and he was so late on so many throws it was gut wrenching to be there. The throw to Sted was a thing of beauty - it was. But other than that, it was amateur hour with the late throws and fumble for a TD when everyone knew he should be protecting that ball, the poorly thrown TD pass to LK that would have been an INT if not for the defender falling down, etc...

The biggest problem I saw with Foles is simply the amount of time he took to process things and/or just deliver the ball. I firmly believe he even knew when he should throw the ball on timing routes and couldn't process that he wasn't supposed to run the play based on what he saw but what the play was supposed to be. So many times he simply threw too late and it amounted to a play being blown up, stopped for a meager gain, or intercepted. His inability to process information is his biggest limitation.

I see better processing by Keenum with very limited physical tools.

My hope is that Mannion puts the two together. We know he has the physical tools. We know he has the smarts. Will the two combine? I hope so because he will be not only a great back-up but excellent trade bait. And this is from an OSU homer who would like nothing better than for him to be our starter.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
My hope is that Mannion puts the two together. We know he has the physical tools. We know he has the smarts. Will the two combine? I hope so because he will be not only a great back-up but excellent trade bait. And this is from an OSU homer who would like nothing better than for him to be our starter.
Agree with the entire post, but as for this part, I have to wonder if Mannion can speed up that release. From the (granted very little) film that I have watched of him, he seems to have a slowwwwww throwing motion. I know you watched a lot of him in college, so I will trust your assessment of him in that department. What do you think?

HellRam

Starter
I will say this. Foles was playing well until the Packers game. After that hit early in the game by Clay Mathews he was never the same and that went on as long as he played. It sucks for him cause I think he is better than Keenum but everyone hates him and I think because of that they overrate Keenum who is mediocre at best. I personally believe we should have just kept Austin Davis and developed him more this year. The Rams dropped the ball on him...

I was a big Austin Davis fan myself..when he was on the dude was ON. It was definitely a rollercoaster ride with him, considering it was his first playing time in the NFL I thought he played pretty damn decent. Davis also brought a running threat. For what ever reason the Rams never seemed too interested in him, even as a back up.

Agree with you on Foles as well, the first game of the year last season against the Hawks it almost felt like the Rams found their guy. That game and vs AZ he looked really good. That said im fine with moving on from Foles this season. Goff is a big reason for that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Agree with the entire post, but as for this part, I have to wonder if Mannion can speed up that release. From the (granted very little) film that I have watched of him, he seems to have a slowwwwww throwing motion. I know you watched a lot of him in college, so I will trust your assessment of him in that department. What do you think?
He definitely doesn't have a snap release but that OSU offense was plain offensive in virtually all aspects. He actually had a very quick release in several situations. He winds up at times - no doubt about it. But when he needed to just zip one off, he seemed quite capable of doing just that. If you want to assess that part of his game in a vacuum, he does not possess the quickest throwing motion or best footwork. I still think he has enough game to be not only a sound #2 but a pretty good starter in the right situation. I think Goff is better but I also think Mannion can be pretty good at this level.

jap

Legend
I for one really hope Goff starts week 1, simply because if Keenum starts week 1 chances are they wont let him go on a 5 game win streak and say, well thats it time to play Goff. If he starts week 1 he will likely play til he does bad and costs the team some wins, which may be the difference between playoffs and no playoffs.

I want Jerad to start as soon as he's ready too. He simply has extra talent that Case lacks. Jerad can stretch the field vertically, and that alone can force defenses to quit loading the box against the Gurley Express! And they will load the box until Jerad|Case proves he can beat them just as the loaded the box against Marshall in 1999 until the crazed DC's belatedly had to admit that the unknown Kurt Warner was kicking all of their collective butts.

Case can get the ball downfield, but he has to put too much air under it, which allows NFL DBs time to recover unless they are really beaten badly. Jerad has a legitimate gun that will only get stronger with successive NFL off-seasons. And Jerad's accuracy will morph into deadly pinpoint beauty as he struggles to adjust to the reduced windows and savvy coverage ability of NFL DBs. Consider this season a transitional one for Jerad as he works to cope with NFL DBs and DCs. I expect DCs will be more than ready for Case's weaknesses this season so Jerad will have to be ready sooner than later. Yes, the Express! will be rumbling all over the defensive backfields, but he will be a much more dangerous engine with Jerad as the conductor.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This team is good enough to win with Keenum. They have proven that
Really? How so? When they relied on Keenum to beat a given up, lousy 49er team, he played terrible.
He was 3-2, not exactly an endorsement for "winning"
BTW, in Shaun Hill first 5 starts, the Rams were 3-2 as well. Austin Davis was 2-3 and after 3 starts looked like the next hidden gem...
I like Keenum, think he's a good back up. But I surely don't look at his 3-2 record as a sign of winning, just like I didn't look at his 0-8 record in Houston as an indication that he was a loser either

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
And yet if GZ can hit a FG in Baltimore and SF, the Rams go 5-0 with him at QB1. I am not saying I want Keenum as a long term starter. The point of my post was that we should start the QB who gives us the best chance to win. That should be re-evaluated every week. Duh. These things are obvious. I don't agree that Goff should be given the job day one based solely on his draft position. That's all. If he earns the starters job, by all means play him week one!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And yet if GZ can hit a FG in Baltimore and SF, the Rams go 5-0 with him at QB1. I am not saying I want Keenum as a long term starter. The point of my post was that we should start the QB who gives us the best chance to win. That should be re-evaluated every week. Duh. These things are obvious. I don't agree that Goff should be given the job day one based solely on his draft position. That's all. If he earns the starters job, by all means play him week one!!
And if the defense doesn't score a TD against Detroit or Seattle, he could have been 1-4. What's the point?
They averaged 18 offensive points per game in his 5 starts including 31 against Tampa.
I agree that whoever gives us the best chance to win should start, I just don't think that Keenum should start because he wont lose the game for them either
Again, I like Case but he would have to play lights out to earn the start.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if the defense doesn't score a TD against Detroit or Seattle, he could have been 1-4. What's the point?
They averaged 18 offensive points per game in his 5 starts including 31 against Tampa.
I agree that whoever gives us the best chance to win should start, I just don't think that Keenum should start because he wont lose the game for them either
Again, I like Case but he would have to play lights out to earn the start.
I don't think Keenum necessarily has to play "lights out" to earn the starting job against a rookie and a second year player who has never taken a snap in the regular season. Are you saying that if Goff (or Mannion for that matter) plays well, but not as well as Case, he should get the nod anyway? We are not Tampa or Tennessee. We shouldn't be starting our QB1 solely because of where he was drafted. This team deserves better than that.

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keenum is better than Foles in a couple of key non physical parts of QB play. He can anticipate better, get the ball out on time better. Foles is what you want physically in a QB....a big guy with a pretty big arm.
But, he has always been slow. He did not play well for long periods in Philly....slow to read, slow to find secondary guys, late getting rid of the ball. He was somewhat protected in Chip's offense. A decent amount of their throws were predetermined throws, no reading ect.
Keenum is not great, but, he is not terrible. He is a middle of the road vet guy who has to make up for some physical short comings by having a good mental game. If he is confused by a D it will be ugly because he does not really have the physical gifts (elite runner, cannon arm) to make up for it. As for the starter, that is to be determined.
To me, Keenum is the kind of guy coaches love for a back up. Knows how to prep and do his work (from all we have heard), not entitled and not demanding huge salary because of past glory. He may be nothing more than a solid veteran back up, but, coaches love those kind of guys and they generally have very long careers. I have no opinion on Mannion. Haven't seen enough of him. He is another guy who there is a lot to like about physically. The other parts of the game, are they developing? Who knows?
this was sheer greatness

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Y'know - I actually couldn't disagree more. He had one good game IMO in the early season and that was against AZ. I was at the opener and he was so late on so many throws it was gut wrenching to be there. The throw to Sted was a thing of beauty - it was. But other than that, it was amateur hour with the late throws and fumble for a TD when everyone knew he should be protecting that ball, the poorly thrown TD pass to LK that would have been an INT if not for the defender falling down, etc...

The biggest problem I saw with Foles is simply the amount of time he took to process things and/or just deliver the ball. I firmly believe he even knew when he should throw the ball on timing routes and couldn't process that he wasn't supposed to run the play based on what he saw but what the play was supposed to be. So many times he simply threw too late and it amounted to a play being blown up, stopped for a meager gain, or intercepted. His inability to process information is his biggest limitation.

I see better processing by Keenum with very limited physical tools.

Dude I can't stand Foles and thought we dropped the ball not making Austin Davis the starter and helping him grow but I just think Foles was really screwed up after the Packers game thats all

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The poll doesn't make a lot of sense at this point.
Is Foles still on the team? If so, why? He needs cut ASAP.
They better keep Mannion since they used a 3rd round pick on him and he seems to have a lot of potential.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I was a big Austin Davis fan myself..when he was on the dude was ON. It was definitely a rollercoaster ride with him, considering it was his first playing time in the NFL I thought he played pretty damn decent. Davis also brought a running threat. For what ever reason the Rams never seemed too interested in him, even as a back up.

Agree with you on Foles as well, the first game of the year last season against the Hawks it almost felt like the Rams found their guy. That game and vs AZ he looked really good. That said im fine with moving on from Foles this season. Goff is a big reason for that.
Thats what I'm saying, btw people still say hate when I bring up Austin Davis because they seem to always blame him on giving up a 21-0 lead to the Cowboys or blowing a 28 point comeback against Philly...Will never understand the hate.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My hope for Mannion is that he looks great behind Goff, and Buffalo decides thay will trade Sammy Watkins and a 2nd in 2017 for him....:rockon: