Are the Rams gonna sign Whitner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Or any vet for deep safety?

I dunno...

Some have posted that a vet S back there would be advisable, especially considering McDonald's dust up with the police and a slightly possible league suspension. (I discount the suspension likelihood, fwiw).

The June 1 date has come and gone. That was the date after which a signing was deemed likely since it would no longer affect comp picks already gained for next year.

Yet, we've not heard a whisper of a signing, have we?

What to conclude?

1) Maybe they're happy with their options already on the roster. It's not as if they don't know how to identify and develop talent at S, after all.

2) Maybe they prefer to observe every possible player and every possible snap through as long as the entire camp before they bite the bullet and make that decision. That seems prudent, given the number of promising candidates they have to look at and the lack of a time crunch for decision making.

3) Maybe they're finalizing negotiations as I type this and it will be announced in the next hour.

What do y'all think?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Report stated Rams wanted to see what they had in OTA's before making a commitment to a veteran safety. So we should before camp whether or not the Rams will sign Donte Whitner or Dashon Goldson, however, I think they will pass because of Brian Randolph.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Its true the team is great at finding and developing DBs in general. Like most I still would like to see us add Whitner for depth and possibly a bridge starter. Part of the reason I want him is his great hitting ability. We need to be the big bullies on the NFC West block, while we develop our Offense this season.

Until I see Goff & Co. play a handful of games(reg season), I not totally sold on us being true contenders "this" season. I think everything we do will be laying the foundation for the start of the 2017 season take over and compete will all NFC top teams.
Unless the Defense can truly be close to elite unit and Goff can be able to have a Flacco or Big Ben like rookie season. Then we have a shot this season. I just think its might be too much to ask our team to do this season.

Best case scenario is we compete all season for top spot but lose out do to our inexperience.
For me I just want to see continued growth in a positive matter every week. No more sh!tting the bed against non div teams we should be destroying. Turning hope from a today stand point roster & drafted pick wise and building weekly momentum, into knowing that Goff was the right move, and cutting the old guard D players in CL91 & JL55 and starting Tree in the middle was wise. etc.

Thoughts?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Report stated Rams wanted to see what they had in OTA's before making a commitment to a veteran safety. So we should before camp whether or not the Rams will sign Donte Whitner or Dashon Goldson, however, I think they will pass because of Brian Randolph.

Ya it really sounds like a good possibly Randolph could be a steal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Whitner is NOT going to be considered as an answer at FS. If they sign him it will be to address the SS depth and ensure they have enough thumpers for the box.

TJ and his DUI sort of hangs over things, but he is probably the new FS, and pulling him out of that SS depth hurts it. Not to mention Barron being pulled out to serve as WILL. Thus their DEPTH at SS is where they are concerned and that is what Whitner would be if they do bring him in.

IMO it comes down to the UDFAs and in-house guys. Do any of them look like they can handle the box responsibilities? Williams is not afraid to coach up the young guys.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I sure hope they don't. He's not the player he used to be, actually the player he used to be was never as good as the so called experts said he was. We have some quality youth and I say we go with it.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
It seems like for the last 3- 4 years that this year's moves set up next for a breakout year...Getting tired of waiting...I am a Medicare Sluggo next month, it's not like I'm going to live forever !!!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Safety is definitely shaping up to be our weak link.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hell no.....and I've said it for sometime....it's the same as the wr position....too much talent, year in and year out coming out of the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just do not see the need to spend any cap space $$ on a declining old safety.

Rams are not without DB talent @ the moment. The secondary is going through some remodeling & looks cluttered & unassured @ the moment. Fisher will get the secondary cleaned up, orderly & looking fresh & ready to look good on Sundays!

Fisher does not lack in the area of any in the box safety on this roster. Fact is he is loaded.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Donte Whitner visiting Carolina Panthers on Friday
  • Updated: Aug. 25, 2016 at 06:51 p.m.

The Carolina Panthers are toying with the idea of adding experience to their greenhorn secondary.

Free agent safety
Donte Whitner is flying to Charlotte for a Friday workout, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, via a source informed of the visit.

The 31-year-old was cut by the
Browns' new regime in April after starting at strong safety throughout last season. Although he visited Los Angeles a couple of weeks after his release, the Rams reportedly balked at his price tag.

Signing Whitner on the brink of the season would fit the pattern set by general manager Dave Gettleman, who prefers to shop in the bargain bin for free agents, particularly in the secondary.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-whitner-visiting-carolina-panthers-on-friday

With veteran safety
Roman Harper now in New Orleans, Tre Boston has been elevated to the starting lineup opposite Kurt Coleman. Adding Whitner would provide not only insurance at safety, but an experienced voice in a defensive backfield likely to enter the season with a pair of rookies starting at cornerback.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Randolph is out for the season isn't he?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Or any vet for deep safety?

I dunno...

What do y'all think?

Great question 43 because nobody seems to care for our current backups with much enthusiasm. My question is how and why Donte Whitner or Dashon Goldson are not on any 90 man roster. I'm confused by these 2 guys because surely the Rams are not the only team with red flags with their safety depth.

They may be on few teams radars but both of them seem to be on the downside of their careers though I thought Whitner would've been worth signing for the vet minimum.

Safety Performance has been very quiet in the preseason and the next 2 games will have my hands on the remote rewinding the game film several times.
safety-1st-logo.jpg

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure that we waived Randolph after his injury too. I think we should stay where we are at safety, I don't think that signing Whitner or Goldson is going to help us

HellRam

Starter
IMO Whitner or Goldson were in play if McDonald got suspended. TJ did not get suspended thus the Rams felt they were okay at the position.

Whitner is also a true SS, so he would have been a viable replacement for McDonald if he was suspended.