Are some getting too carried away over Evan Engram?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm no draft guru, heaven knows.

But I do know a bit about human nature. Is this Engram phenomenon a mob think mentality thing? I wonder.

It does seem that Engram has become a board darling. I'm just asking, are there no holes in his game? If not, why isn't he a high 1st round prospect?

I mean, does he really tower above all other players likely to be available at #37 in value?

Don't get me wrong. I like what I'm hearing about him just fine. But I suspect that there are several others that the Rams also have their eye on at that #37, too.

This might sound like heresy to some, but I even suspect that the Rams would entertain a modest trade down from #37 even if Engram were still on the board. Simply because they would prefer to have 2 premium picks in this particular draft over Engram.

There. I said it...

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not concerned about Engram per se. Just expecting an immediate impact player in the 2nd round. Transition from NCAA to NFL for TEs takes time, which is why he's not on my priority list for draft. You could find value in the 3rd-5th rounds for TEs (i.e. George Kittle)

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
He's not as highly rated as Howard because he doesn't have Howard's size and he's not as good as a blocker. He did run a 4.42 though. He's more of a move TE that I am sure that he could line up anywhere on offense and play WR.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I don't think there are that many people all in or all out on him.. not like in years past anyway...... he has plenty of weaknesses all of which can be worked on ...but he is a Short and light (236 lbs) TE with blazing speed that is an unknown value as blocker...I am a fan of .....Evan Engram.... i think his speed makes his conversion as a seem threat that much easier..... but I'm willing to go in which ever way this team would like to go to make them better....;)

Go Rams....... ;)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd be okay with Engram as the pick. I just think that T.J. Watt would be a better pick.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
No I think Engram is perfect for the Rams anemic offense . Engram fits what McVay wants to do with his offense. Engram is a carbon copy of Jordan Reed. Gruden has said recently the Skins offense runs through Jordan Reed so that should tell you how important a move TE like Engram would be in the Rams new offense. Its a match made in heaven IMO. I also think Engram is a 1st round talent and wouldnt be surprised to see him go late 1st round anyway. Also Engram is physically more gifted than Reed is. Engram was a top performer in almost everything at the combine for TEs. There size is comparable. Reed is 6'2 236lbs and Engram is 6'3 234lbs. But Engram is much faster. 4.42 for Engram vs Reeds 4.72 40 yd dash. Cant really find much of anything else on Reeds workout numbers besides his 40 and bench in which Engram even out benched Reed (19 reps to 16 for Reed). Of course this is just my opinion since judging talent is definitely subjective (y),

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/8412/jordan-reed

Redskins coach Jay Gruden said "the offense runs through" Jordan Reed.
Gruden made the comment after being asked about losing both DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon. Washington did a good job retooling by drafting Josh Doctson last year and signing Terrelle Pryor, but Reed's ability to stay healthy will determine how good the offense can be. Reed caught 66 passes for 686 yards and six touchdowns in just 12 games last season, but he has not played more than 14 games in his career. He is a high-upside, high-risk fantasy asset. Mar 30 - 11:27 AM
Source: CSN Mid-Atlantic

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd be okay with Engram as the pick. I just think that T.J. Watt would be a better pick.
I completely agree!! TJ Watt before Engram with-out-a-Doubt!! That said, I think Engram will be great too!
* 4.42-40
* 36.0 Vert.
* 125.0 Broad jump
* 4.23 in the short shuttle
* 6.92 in the 3-cone
And he has a 137.9 SPARQ Score!He looks great!
On the other hand Watt Has
* a 37.0 Vert.
* a 128.0 Broad jump
* and a eye-popping 140.4 SPARQ Score!
AT #37 I would Run, not Walk to the stands with Watts pick!!

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
I completely agree!! TJ Watt before Engram with-out-a-Doubt!! That said, I think Engram will be great too!
* 4.42-40
* 36.0 Vert.
* 125.0 Broad jump
* 4.23 in the short shuttle
* 6.92 in the 3-cone
And he has a 137.9 SPARQ Score!He looks great!
On the other hand Watt Has
* a 37.0 Vert.
* a 128.0 Broad jump
* and a eye-popping 140.4 SPARQ Score!
AT #37 I would Run, not Walk to the stands with Watts pick!!

I think its close. I had Watt right behind Engram when i picked in the ROD mock. Those were the 2 guys I was targeting when I moved up. I leaned with going offense because I cant take another year of scoring no points lol. Also picking up Barwin helped the decision :D

Last edited:

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
The reason why I want Engram is mainly because he is similar to Jordan Reed and we all know how much McVay loved having him. He helped the skins offense tremendously when he was on the field. You guys also need to remember that the Rams had the 32nd ranked offense and we lost our only 1000 yard receiver last year so we definitely need help on offense early. McVay likes to run two TE sets so he fits the Rams perfectly.

If the Rams choose Engram or another playmaker at 37 instead of Watt, they should be able to provide immediate results which will then make the defense look better since they won't be on the field as much as last year.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'd have no problem if Engram is our pick at 37, could be a beast in McVays system. I think Watt will be gone by then too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want somebody that will come in and make the team better from day one. Don't care what position it is just need somebody who can play and isn't a project or needs coaching.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
1) I have him in my Rams Mock because he has not been listed in ANY other Mocks within the 1st round. Why he is not being talked about going in the First round is beyond me. I don't know why a another TE, David Njoku is ahead of him in most mock drafts.

2) I made a good case for him being a Match up nightmare for defenses in my Mock ; no group think here.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Engram is definitely not a good blocker so there is his big weakness.

His biggest strength is his ability to be a mismatch which is key to McVay's offense. McVay did a really good job of scheming his WRs open in many different ways, but Reed was the constant mismatch guy with his ability to beat LBs and Safeties one on one wherever he lined up. That is the key role engram potentially Engram brings to the table as well. I personally prefer Gerald Everett a little later, but I am fine with either.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm no draft guru, heaven knows.

But I do know a bit about human nature. Is this Engram phenomenon a mob think mentality thing? I wonder.

It does seem that Engram has become a board darling. I'm just asking, are there no holes in his game? If not, why isn't he a high 1st round prospect?

I mean, does he really tower above all other players likely to be available at #37 in value?

Don't get me wrong. I like what I'm hearing about him just fine. But I suspect that there are several others that the Rams also have their eye on at that #37, too.

This might sound like heresy to some, but I even suspect that the Rams would entertain a modest trade down from #37 even if Engram were still on the board. Simply because they would prefer to have 2 premium picks in this particular draft over Engram.

There. I said it...
U sound like u want a trade down... Nobody knows what rams want to do take best player don't get cute

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not head over heels for Engram, but if McVay likes him, I'm game. I don't think things are going to be as easy for Engram as people are making them out to be.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just like @yrba1 observed above, this is a deep TE class and it's a position that does not give you first year impact. McVay's a great teacher of the TE position as well, and they have a very talented TE on the roster in Higbee.

Now I don't know what McVay's really thinking about Higbee, beyond the coach speak stuff, but given that I personally think he's gonna be a good player at the position I'd much rather see them look at the position in round 3 or later. And like I've mentioned before it's not that McVay is going to be looking for a Reed-type TE, it's that he's going to want to ensure he's got an option route guy on the roster.

Option route does not require a freak athlete type to work. It's an instincts thing and guys with sneaky speed, good catch radius, etc can make it work if they have those instincts. So even if they are afraid Higbee isn't ideal for that role that doesn't mean they need to address it in round 2. And that's where the depth of this draft works in their favor IMO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
TE is not an easy transition...especially if they require him to block...which he doesn't do very well...I don't like making receiving TE's block...
He has holes but fits what McVay has used successfully. So I see the match....It's too much TE talent to take a guy with holes like his...I'd rather have shasheen in the 5th....bet he can block. And looks fast as hell too.

Ram65

Legend
Lot's of questions with the Rams TEs Higbee and Hemingway. Not sure if either one is going to be a solid inline blocker. McVay may get some idea in OTA's to see how much strength and bulk both added since being drafted. Engram looks more like a big WR. I doubt he is much of a TE blocker in his early career. Rams aren't going to find a TE that can be a mismatch and a solid blocker right out the box in the draft. I can see McVay moving Engram around to create mismatches and getting a little blocking from him. It's not a no brainer but an interesting pick. Is taking Engram better than taking another bigger WR?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I really like Engram......in the 3rd round. I dont like the idea of him with our early 2nd. There are guys in the 4th you can grab and might even be better. Butt, Everett and Legget could all be had maybe in the 3rd or 4th.

Personally I like the value with Butt. Great value in the 3rd or 4th. Good blocker and good hands. Could fill in as a blocker like Kendrick but wont drop passes like Kendrick. Also opens things up for Higbee to concentrate on catching passes.