Are Gurley's rushing troubles due to the "stacked box"?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What's to blame for the running difficulties?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Some media have stated the Rams O-Line is garbage. I believe the problems lie elsewhere...Specifically the stacked box. 8 men, with eyes on Gurley...However, now I see other prominent runners have had success against 8 men in the box.

View: https://twitter.com/ScottBarrettDFB/status/782956980767956992

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingYards/year/2016/seasontype/2

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I believe that it's a combination of QB play and Gurley's own inpatience with the running lanes...He's just slamming up the back of lineman, usually the guards...It's hard to run if the game plan is to stop you. Look at the success of Benny, when he runs it's a surprise and he's done well..I also believe Gurley is due to snap out of his funk...Probably this weekend....What say you?

Edit: One picture the guy at deadspin used....
ivdc0zcdcbomq40c2gxr.jpg

looks like green grass to the left to me...and the old Gurley bounces that outside for a major gain...lots of penetration, sure...but as long as a hat is on a hat, wtf?

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Offensive Line has done a nice job in pass protection now they just need to work on getting better push in the running game. I would like to see more two tight end sets with the tight ends at the line of scrimmage as opposed to Harkey being the H back.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think it is a combination of oline play and play calling, looking at where he is being contacted first would lead me to believe he isn't getting a lot of creases to get through and virtually no actual holes to run through.

Bottom line 3-1 and I really don't care what anyone's individual stats are.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Stacked boxes, a sub-par O-line, and bad play calling. It's a mixture of the 3. Gurley needs to do a bit better but it's hard to be patient when defenders are immediately in the backfield.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would say it's because of the 8-9 men in a Box!! But with a little more Passing game and Keenum moving around a bit, I think the Run game will pick up! ( But Champ, Come-On-Man! You know which Box I Really Checked!!:rolllaugh:)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can't read the reply but adp was going even worse than gurley. He got nothing.

Yep. And I'm sure everyone here agrees that McKinnon is not a better back than AP.
And yet ... better production.

82d0bdac9cbb45729d3ce98c36d0d7b5.png

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. And I'm sure everyone here agrees that McKinnon is not a better back than AP.
And yet ... better production.

82d0bdac9cbb45729d3ce98c36d0d7b5.png

They're not running McKinnon up the gut like they did adp. They're more creative with their run calling for him, giving him the ball in many different ways so that he can use the space to his advantage. Not sure why the Rams can't do that with gurley.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They're not running McKinnon up the gut like they did adp. They're more creative with their run calling for him, giving him the ball in many different ways so that he can use the space to his advantage. Not sure why the Rams can't do that with gurley.

I love that you're making my point (albeit for another thread lol). If Cunningham started, they would HAVE to change the way they design the run game, because he's not a one-cut and go type of back. So if they changed things up for Benny, and it worked, then they could figure out a way to properly get Todd free too. I mean, you'd think. The main point being, this run game isn't working. So if it takes using another back (even short-term) to figure out why, then I'm all over it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love that you're making my point (albeit for another thread lol). If Cunningham started, they would HAVE to change the way they design the run game, because he's not a one-cut and go type of back. So if they changed things up for Benny, and it worked, then they could figure out a way to properly get Todd free too. I mean, you'd think. The main point being, this run game isn't working. So if it takes using another back (even short-term) to figure out why, then I'm all over it.

I agree with everything you say but I'm not taking gurley off the field. It's up to boras to get his shit together and be more imaginative with his run calls.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I am pretty sure Gurley is a diverse runner, but right now seeing limited run style. Can't expect to keep running into walls and gain positive outcomes. Got to change it up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
( But Champ, Come-On-Man! You know which Box I Really Checked!!:rolllaugh:)

now you got me all excited dave. went into pursue mode at the wife for some box play but she wouldn't have a bar of it. haha, get it.....wouldn't have a bar of it......

i'll let myself out.(n)

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Well sure, those offenses are doing better against a stacked box.

But then you have the same issues as every year, right?

The backup quarterback is starting? Check
The wide receivers (especially Austin) are dropping passes? Check
New offensive coordinator? Check
Okay, put that all together and you have an inept offense that can't win games, right? Oh yeah, 3-1 :yay:

The wide receivers are improving each game. The offensive line is one of the reasons it's not all falling apart and that unit keeps improving. I like what I see there.

Bruce2980

Starter
Well sure, those offenses are doing better against a stacked box.

But then you have the same issues as every year, right?

The backup quarterback is starting? Check
The wide receivers (especially Austin) are dropping passes? Check
New offensive coordinator? Check
Okay, put that all together and you have an inept offense that can't win games, right? Oh yeah, 3-1 :yay:

The wide receivers are improving each game. The offensive line is one of the reasons it's not all falling apart and that unit keeps improving. I like what I see there.
Especially now that Fisher has apparently stated that Goff is ready to go, his time is coming:yess::yay::D:wow::grouphug:

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I went back and watched the first few running plays the Rams had on Sunday on the all 22 on game pass and I'd say it's a combination of the O line simply being outnumbered but also poor blocking.

From what I saw, Hav Wichmann and Barnes are doing ok. Unfortunately GRob has a tendency to get a couple of yards downfield but not actually block anybody.

I saw a couple of plays where Gurley ran right and even then, GRob's man from all the way over on the left hand side would be coming across unblocked to make a tackle.

I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to be able to watch film and say whether Gurley should have chosen a different gap or should've bounced it outside. But I definitely saw the Rams being outnumbered and some poor blocking and unfortunately GRob was the main culprit for that.