Aqib Talib Now a Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/In-Their-Own-Words-Aqib-Talib-On-Becoming-a-Los-Angeles-Ram/b329f803-7a9a-4e33-bf1a-1f999398f6d0

In Their Own Words: Aqib Talib On Becoming a Los Angeles Ram
Kristen Lago

Los Angeles focused on revamping its secondary this offseason by bringing in cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib. While Peters is still entering the peak of his NFL career — with just three seasons under his belt — Talib is headed towards what he referred to as the “later half of my career.”

At 32 years old, the Kansas product is entering his 11th season in the league, has five Pro Bowls to his name, and will be playing on his fifth NFL team. And as the active leader in interceptions (34) and interceptions returned for touchdowns (10), Talib had a few big-name suitors pursuing him this offseason.

So, why the Rams for Talib? Why a fresh start in Los Angeles? Instead of trying to define the cornerback’s reasoning, therams.com decided to pose the question to Talib himself.

With that in mind, here is Aqib Talib in his own words.

On wanting to to be traded only to Los Angeles or to the Patriots:

“Well, I’m in the later half of my career and I just wanted to be comfortable. Wherever I went, I wanted to be comfortable and there was no time in the NFL where I was more comfortable playing football than with Wade Phillips. He’s like a guru at putting guys in position to succeed. So if I was going to go somewhere I wanted to be comfortable and I’m definitely comfortable here in L.A.

On his relationship with defensive coordinator, Wade Phillips:

“He is a future Hall of Fame D-coordinator. So, anytime you get to share a meeting room with him everyday, you’re going to gain knowledge. He just taught me a lot about being a Pro, how to prepare for the game, and using my strengths on the field. That’s a huge part of the reason why I wanted to come play for him.”

On his excitement to be a Los Angeles Ram:

“Man, I’m very excited just to be in L.A., the weather, just to be back with coach Wade and be with a nice team like this. This a great team, a great organization. So a competitive team to be a part of a competitive team and make this run towards the Super Bowl is a blessing.”

On what the Rams are getting in Talib:

“I’m a smart player and I care about the game. It shows in my play. It shows in what I do at home. When you ask my family, I put time in, I put overtime in at home, I put the work in in the offseason. So, I care about the game and I think it shows in my play.”

jap

Legend
I really want to see Aqib use his influence on young Marcus Peters and insist that he [Marcus] progress towards becoming a complete CB . . . excelling at pass coverage and tackling.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Shields, and to some degree Talib, have received a lot less attention this offseason but I am equally stoked that we’ve added these players.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I really want to see Aqib use his influence on young Marcus Peters and insist that he [Marcus] progress towards becoming a complete CB . . . excelling at pass coverage and tackling.

You don't like a guy that makes 'business decisions'? LOL

jap

Legend
You don't like a guy that makes 'business decisions'? LOL

i'm not sure what you are referring to. I was talking about Marcus' not-so-steady tackling ways. The old vet, Aqib, is a much, more sure-handed tackler and should want to see his young charge progress towards excellence in this area.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
i'm not sure what you are referring to. I was talking about Marcus' not-so-steady tackling ways. The old vet, Aqib, is a much, more sure-handed tackler and should want to see his young charge progress towards excellence in this area.

I was also referring to Peters avoiding tackles at times. He has been quoted as saying "Making a business decision" as in Todd Gurley is about to run me over, ummm I'll make a business decision.

LOL

jap

Legend
I was also referring to Peters avoiding tackles at times. He has been quoted as saying "Making a business decision" as in Todd Gurley is about to run me over, ummm I'll make a business decision.

LOL

That's why he needs to study film properly and learn how to best take down Todd using his [Marcus'] own strengths against Todd's weaknesses. This is a huge part of what I am hoping the Aqib mentorship will impart to Marcus. As good as he is, he is not going to deny every pass but still must complete the play successfully. At times he will be out there on an island facing a rampaging feature back or a full back in berserker mode, and he must take them down alone to stop a long run or prevent a score. We don't need another 'Neon' Deon 'Primetime' Sanders at those moments: we need an athlete who will seal the deal.