Aqib Talib Now a Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think you're ignoring the realities of scheme. In some schemes, you are better off spending money on your front and replacing guys in the secondary. Ron Rivera and Sean McDermott's defenses are excellent examples of that. On the other hand, Wade Phillips' defense is the opposite. Wade puts a lot of pressure on his CBs when he is able to run his defense his way. He has his CBs play a lot of press-man on islands. Thus, it makes more sense to put money into the secondary because it allows Wade to use the blitz schemes he likes and run games upfront. That manufactures pressure.

In a perfect world, we have amazing pass rushers and DBs. That would be great. But in Wade's scheme, having amazing DBs is slightly more important than amazing pass rushers.(and let's be real, teams aren't giving away their amazing pass rushers)
This^ is why we need to go after a NT and OLB's/ Pass Rushers in this Draft! JMHO

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If the rams add a starter like Bradham Bowman or Williamson I'd expect the first pick in our draft to be a NT, which given the balls out mentality were seeing, I'd venture a move up to grab Vea. Wade has had a good amount of success finding mid round LBs so I'd think between Ebukam longacre and a a 4th round rookie, we'd be set for starters on defense. Its amazing that by signing one of those attainable FA LBs and doing whatever it takes to move up 7-10 spots for vea, the rams defense will be the best its been since.....I dont know....fearsome foursome days?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Agree. If the mocks work out like some have and Vea falls to 17, I go up and grab him before Seattle can get him.

Otherwise, I stay put for Joshua Jackson or I trade down into the later 1st for Vander Esch or early second for Tim Settle.

But yeah, if Vea gets to 17, I have a max budget ready cuz having watched AD, I don't want Seattle to have a potentially dominant interior lineman.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If we drop 4 or 5 spots and then land LVE I'd like to use the new pick plus our 3rd and another pick to move up and get settle.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...at-would-have-sent-him-from-broncos-to-49ers/

Aqib Talib reportedly killed trade that would have sent him from Broncos to 49ers

Before shipping Aqib Talib off to the Los Angeles Rams last week, the Broncos actually had a deal done with another NFC West team, but that trade never went through because Talib wanted no part of it.

According to ESPN.com, the Broncos and San Francisco 49ers hammered out a trade recently that was going to send Talib to San Francisco. However, the deal didn't go down because Talib made a simple threat: He wasn't going to report to the 49ers if it went through.

The threat was serious enough that it caused both teams to call off the trade. With Richard Sherman now in San Francisco, it's somewhat interesting to look at the domino effect of Talib's decision. If he would have accepted the trade to the 49ers, then there's almost no way they would have signed Sherman on Saturday, which means he would still be a free agent.

Not only that, but the Rams would still be in the market for another corner, and might have possibly even considered re-signing Trumaine Johnson, which won't happen now. Basically, Talib's demand ended up having free agent ramifications on at least three different teams: The Rams, 49ers and Broncos, who freed up roughly $11 million in cap space by trading Talib.

You could also throw in a fourth team, because if Talib had been sent to San Francisco, then Sherman most likely would have signed with another team. The Titans, Lions, Raiders, Texans, Buccaneers and Packers all showed preliminary interest in Sherman, so it wouldn't have been a surprise to see him end up with one of those teams.

As for Talib, it's not a total shock that he killed the trade to San Francisco. According to ESPN.com, the veteran either wanted to play for Bill Belichick in New England or Wade Phillips in Los Angeles, and if that wasn't going to happen, then wanted to be released so he could pick his team.

During an interview with NFL Network on Saturday, Talib definitely sounded excited about his new team.

"What better place to do it than L.A., man," Talib said. "With that market. With (defensive coordinator) Wade Phillips. With a young energetic corner on the other side, man, to bring back that youth to me. A great quarterback and Todd Gurley, it's just a great situation in my opinion."

The 49ers also look like a good situation, but Talib wanted no part of it. If the 49ers feel jilted about all of this, the good news for them is that they'll be able to get get revenge on Talib at least twice a year as long as he plays for the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree. If the mocks work out like some have and Vea falls to 17, I go up and grab him before Seattle can get him.

Otherwise, I stay put for Joshua Jackson or I trade down into the later 1st for Vander Esch or early second for Tim Settle.

But yeah, if Vea gets to 17, I have a max budget ready cuz having watched AD, I don't want Seattle to have a potentially dominant interior lineman.

I don't see Josh Jackson ending up on this team. He's not a great scheme fit for us.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do you say that?

He's an incredible zone CB due to his instincts and ball-skills. If you put him in a scheme like Seattle's or Buffalo's, he'll be a star. However, he doesn't have a lot of experience pressing, didn't look good when he did it, and his long speed is questionable. He's a talented kid. He might develop into an amazing press-man CB. That's always possible. But currently, he's so much better as a zone CB that he has to be more valuable to all of the teams that run more zone-heavy schemes. If the Seahawks are smart, Josh Jackson is their first round pick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Aqib Talib Is One of a Kind
  • A look back on the unique, often-contradictory spirit of Talib during his memorable four-year run in Denver, and a look forward to what the Rams are getting
By ROBERT KLEMKO
Excellent read....didn't know this about Talib.

I believe our receivers were not ready for the physicality of playoff football.

I thought Woods played well...extremely well.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...at-would-have-sent-him-from-broncos-to-49ers/

Aqib Talib reportedly killed trade that would have sent him from Broncos to 49ers

Before shipping Aqib Talib off to the Los Angeles Rams last week, the Broncos actually had a deal done with another NFC West team, but that trade never went through because Talib wanted no part of it.

According to ESPN.com, the Broncos and San Francisco 49ers hammered out a trade recently that was going to send Talib to San Francisco. However, the deal didn't go down because Talib made a simple threat: He wasn't going to report to the 49ers if it went through.

The threat was serious enough that it caused both teams to call off the trade. With Richard Sherman now in San Francisco, it's somewhat interesting to look at the domino effect of Talib's decision. If he would have accepted the trade to the 49ers, then there's almost no way they would have signed Sherman on Saturday, which means he would still be a free agent.

Not only that, but the Rams would still be in the market for another corner, and might have possibly even considered re-signing Trumaine Johnson, which won't happen now. Basically, Talib's demand ended up having free agent ramifications on at least three different teams: The Rams, 49ers and Broncos, who freed up roughly $11 million in cap space by trading Talib.

You could also throw in a fourth team, because if Talib had been sent to San Francisco, then Sherman most likely would have signed with another team. The Titans, Lions, Raiders, Texans, Buccaneers and Packers all showed preliminary interest in Sherman, so it wouldn't have been a surprise to see him end up with one of those teams.

As for Talib, it's not a total shock that he killed the trade to San Francisco. According to ESPN.com, the veteran either wanted to play for Bill Belichick in New England or Wade Phillips in Los Angeles, and if that wasn't going to happen, then wanted to be released so he could pick his team.

During an interview with NFL Network on Saturday, Talib definitely sounded excited about his new team.

"What better place to do it than L.A., man," Talib said. "With that market. With (defensive coordinator) Wade Phillips. With a young energetic corner on the other side, man, to bring back that youth to me. A great quarterback and Todd Gurley, it's just a great situation in my opinion."

The 49ers also look like a good situation, but Talib wanted no part of it. If the 49ers feel jilted about all of this, the good news for them is that they'll be able to get get revenge on Talib at least twice a year as long as he plays for the Rams.
I was just about to post this. The fact that he nixed a deal to go to the Whiners just makes it that much sweeter.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...firms-talib-didnt-want-to-be-traded-to-49ers/

John Lynch confirms Talib didn’t want to be traded to 49ers
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2018

gettyimages-630211586-e1520865391328.jpg

Getty Images

Before the 49ers signed cornerback Richard Sherman to a contract with a base value of $7 million (if he passes his preseason physical), the 49ers wanted to acquire cornerback Aqib Talib at a base value of $11 million. But Talib didn’t want to play for the 49ers.

49ers G.M. John Lynch explained the situation to Peter King of SI.com.

“We did have a trade in place with Denver for a veteran cornerback,” John Lynch told King. “Aqib Talib. I think he didn’t like the idea of being traded — he wanted to be released. I think he felt, ‘If I’m going anywhere, I want to play for [Patriots coach] Bill Belichick or [Rams defensive coordinator] Wade Phillips.’ I talked to the Broncos at the Scouting Combine in Indy about it and I thought we had a deal. Richard [Sherman] wasn’t available then. But we might have had to fight to make the trade for Aqib, so we just dropped it.”

Talib, frankly, should have refused a trade to any team. If he’d been released, a team like the Rams could have gotten him without giving up a fifth-round draft pick to Denver. This presumably would have made the Rams willing to give Talib even more than $11 million this year.

But Talib opted to accept a trade to the Rams. Which means he’ll see the team he didn’t want to play for twice this year. And that could get juicier only if the Raiders cut receiver Michael Crabtree and the 49ers bring him back. (That also would make for some interesting practice-field encounters between Crabtree and Sherman.)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I love how they are trying to minimize the fact that Talib didn't want to play for the Whiners and make it ALL about wanting to play for two coaches. Never mind why that is. Suck it Whiners. Oh - and you too Florio.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...firms-talib-didnt-want-to-be-traded-to-49ers/

Getty Images

Before the 49ers signed cornerback Richard Sherman to a contract with a base value of $7 million (if he passes his preseason physical), the 49ers wanted to acquire cornerback Aqib Talib at a base value of $11 million. But Talib didn’t want to play for the 49ers.

“We did have a trade in place with Denver for a veteran cornerback,” John Lynch told King. “Aqib Talib. I think he didn’t like the idea of being traded — he wanted to be released. I think he felt, ‘If I’m going anywhere, I want to play for [Patriots coach] Bill Belichick or [Rams defensive coordinator] Wade Phillips.’ I talked to the Broncos at the Scouting Combine in Indy about it and I thought we had a deal. Richard [Sherman] wasn’t available then. But we might have had to fight to make the trade for Aqib, so we just dropped it.”

Talib, frankly, should have refused a trade to any team. If he’d been released, a team like the Rams could have gotten him without giving up a fifth-round draft pick to Denver. This presumably would have made the Rams willing to give Talib even more than $11 million this year.

But Talib opted to accept a trade to the Rams. Which means he’ll see the team he didn’t want to play for twice this year. And that could get juicier only if the Raiders cut receiver Michael Crabtree and the 49ers bring him back. (That also would make for some interesting practice-field encounters between Crabtree and Sherman.)
Great that Talib Hate's the 49ers! Double-Great that Sherman went to the 49ers so I can hate him twice -as-much!! IF THAT's POSSIBLE!!:D

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Getty Images

I’d like to think our new CB’s will make our receivers better after practicing against them.