Anyone worried about the secondary?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
I think the 2ndary should be improved with aggressive defense but I do have concerns if Jenkins and Johnson have lost any swagger? I at times last year saw them lost in coverage.

Last edited:

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Until you see it working, you'd be crazy not to have concerns after last year, IMO.

But the problem areas to me seemed to be Finnegan, Giordano, and the Mc's learning on the job both new to starting positions. The safeties and nickel were a complete mess last year, you combine that with Walton and it's hard for me to untangle what was on the CBs and what was supposed to be, or should have been, help coverage.

I'm optimistic that with Williams, and as many options as they have at safety and nickel, we won't see a meltdown go on for that long this year. But I'm going to have some concern about the unit until I see them play well.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think our secondary will pick a number of passes off this year JUST because they'll be playing tighter and the pass rush will be so much more furious,JL should get some picks as well since his coverage is sometimes unexpected.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Worried? Not so much. Intrigued is a better term. I think the floor of this secondary is mediocre, and the ceiling is pretty high. Not top-5 necessarily, but pretty darned good.

I like our starting CBs in Jenkins, Johnson and Joyner. I think they have the makings of one of the more talented trios. Seriously lacking in experience, but make up for it with raw talent.

McDonald showed great potential post-leg-break last year. Comfortable with that spot being locked down.

The concern is the other safety spot. McLeod is serviceable. Alexander could bring some excitement and be a similar player to McDonald. It's a big unknown right now, but again, our "worst case" non-injury scenario is Rodney McLeod, which again, is a mediocre option at worst.

The success of the secondary is in their own hands, and in the hands of Gregg Williams.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not as much as I would have been in years past.
The pressure up front should be relentless. They probably have the easiest job of any secondary in the league.
It's not like JJ and Tru are jags either. The talent is there. Adding Joyner to the mix should be fun to watch.

As far as safety, TJ will be solid. There's a lot of completion for the FS position.whom ever wins it should be fine.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I feel pretty excited about McDonald. He showed flashes last year and I hope more of same from Alexander.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have few real concerns about our secondary this year.

The TJ pick in the 3rd worked out very nicely and convinced me that S/F know what they are doing back there.

Plus there's the GW factor. He will no doubt have packages designed to maximize our strengths and minimize our weaknesses in the secondary.

And after all, they may be playing behind the best front 7 in football.

So my concerns are much more focused on how quickly our O comes together.

Gawd, I can't wait for those camp reports to come rolling in! Lol.

ramaslama

I think the 2ndary should be improved with aggressive defense but I do have concerns if Jenkins and Johnson have lost any swagger? I at times last year saw them lost in coverage.

you wills a ton of swagger this year. trust me what ever they lost in swagger last year they will gain back and then some this year. GW=SWAGGER

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yes, I think like Prometheus that it's fair to be a small bit of concerned about the D until we see improvement with our own eyes, but I also feel like our talent as improved in their positions and with the addition of a far superior and versed coordinator that it's also okay to be a little excited.

A55VA6

Legend
I actually feel this might be a much stronger year for this secondary.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm not worried about much of anything on defense until Gregg Williams' defense gives us a reason to be worried.

It's going to be fun to watch this unit attack this year.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure what to expect... Williams will probably be more agressive (press coverage) and blitz more.

Jenkins, for example, may have regressed last year over his rookie year because of the soft coverage.
But you can get burned more easily in press (or have to hold someone to save a play).

The Safeties are young and inexperienced.

It'll one of the more intriguing parts of the team to watch this year!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Not worried here. I'm comfortable with triple J (Jenks, Johnson, Joyner) at corner and McDonald at SS. McLeod wont be as bad considering our d line is better and the corners will be better under Williams. Not to mention, McLeod screws up he could see Davis, Alexander or maybe even Gaines taking some of his playing time. I'm excited. Lots of young talented kids roaming the back yard this year.

Alan

Legend
Long time posters here and at The Huddle know that I've been concerned about our secondary for the last two years. I'm not going to comment further about it until I can determine whether or not the problem is the coaching or the players. Hopefully it was the coaching.
upload_2014-7-21_16-16-12.jpeg

Last edited:

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

When you thought you saw Janoris lost on coverage last year, was actually him not getting any help over the top. He was trying to make up ground on blown coverages from the safeties. He made up the ground damn well too, just wasn't enough to stop a couple of big plays.

AZRamsFan93

Until you see it working, you'd be crazy not to have concerns after last year, IMO.

But the problem areas to me seemed to be Finnegan, Giordano, and the Mc's learning on the job both new to starting positions. The safeties and nickel were a complete mess last year, you combine that with Walton and it's hard for me to untangle what was on the CBs and what was supposed to be, or should have been, help coverage.

I'm optimistic that with Williams, and as many options as they have at safety and nickel, we won't see a meltdown go on for that long this year. But I'm going to have some concern about the unit until I see them play well.
I agree with PF. The secondary was quite pathetic last year, but I am unsure what was the root cause. This will be the area I will watch as close as I can to see if the scheme change and additional personnel will have a positive impact.

The front seven will help as long as the scheme is aggressive enough. We shall see.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
I have no worries whatsoever about our secondary. Maybe a little concern, but more like intrigue. Playing behind the best front seven in football
will allow our secondary to thrive. We're still very young, but this is the start of a Dynasty!!

GO RAMS!!!!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I never saw Alexander play and him playing Utah State concerns me. They did not exactly play top notch teams.

I assume it will be McLeod back at FS but I would put in Joyner whenever we weren't playing the nickel package. I watched tape on Alexander after we drafted him and it was apparent that we drafted him as a project. Alexander is just too bad in coverage to start this season even though he tackles better than some NFL linebackers. The only situations I see him playing in are blitz plays or obvious run scenarios.