Anyone see this play before?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My first reaction is of confusion. Is this real? Or... was there an explanation left off by the commentators or league?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Wow the Brown's definitely got screwed. I think it was just a terrible call, and a miss bye the league, it has happened before. I don't think that the NFL would so something so obvious as that.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's what I hate about professional sports, their rules are so specific they make it so you can't challenge certain common sense things.

I think that anyone with a brain would say "Hey, challenge who recovered the football!" but the NFL rules state that the refs can only look at if there was a fumble, not who recovered. So when a ref makes a mistake, as she very clearly did, you can't fix that.

It's similar to a few years ago the NHL couldn't overturn a goal that was clearly not a legal goal (as it went off the netting, which is considered out of play, and back into play), but by the rules they weren't allowed to challenge it.

It's completely asinine that a professional sports league can have situations like that happen. When something so clearly happened but a simple mistake was made (because refs are human as well) so the wrong call was made. Basically league's need to make a human error "Oh shit" call that allowed a ruling to be overturned, but they're so afraid of admitting that their refs may make a mistake that they'd rather shit like that happens.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I can't for any reason understand how this ref is pointing at possession without even seeing a person with the ball.
Just sad really. How that isn't reviewed or able to review is terrible.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

all turnovers are supposed to be checked by video. not sure what happened here.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

all turnovers are supposed to be checked by video. not sure what happened here.

Same thing I was thinking. All turnovers are automatically reviewed.

And I'm just gonna go ahead and say it... this ain't the 1st time I've seen that chick ref make a shit call.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Officials blowing calls? Geez am I the only one that watched Super Bowl 36?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No, there is no corruption in professional sports and it's ludicrous to believe in such things.

636015662604430355-2044920281_donaghy-pleads-guilty-in-nba-betting-scandal.jpeg

In 2007, Tim Donaghy, a referee for the NBA, pleaded guilty to two charges of conspiracy. Donaghy used his position to pass on information to bookies about players' statuses and player/referee relations. Although David Stern, the NBA Commissioner at the time, said that Donaghy was a "rogue official", Donaghy later made statements that referees were told by NBA executives to ignore personal foul calls or specifically target certain players in order to extend the life of certain playoff series. Although Donaghy did not specify which series, many have speculated that he may have been referring to the 2005 Rockets vs. Mavericks series (the Mavs went on to win after falling behind 2-0) and the 2002 Lakers vs. Kings series (the Lakers went on to win the series in 7 games).

Given this year's playoff circumstances, David Stern may have been incorrect or pretending to be oblivious; Donaghy may not be a "rogue official", but one of many league officials and executives responsible for tampering with playoff games. Before I present the evidence (only from this year's playoffs), I would like to say that as much as I want to believe my favorite teams and players win by their own skill and effort, it is hard to ignore NBA executives' possible motives for tampering with games.A longer series leads to more ticket sales, a comeback generates higher TV ratings, etc. Isn't it strange that Finals TV ratings seem to go up every year?

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/th...ings-happen-if-people-high-above-want-them-to

fearsomefour

Legend
Same thing I was thinking. All turnovers are automatically reviewed.

And I'm just gonna go ahead and say it... this ain't the 1st time I've seen that chick ref make a crap call.
That just makes her one of the guys it would seem.

fearsomefour

Legend
Way too obvious to be rigged.
I did a Browns/Pats game a year or two ago that was closest I have seen to a fixed game.
The main issue is why? Why risk a hugely successful product that doesn't new help?
The second issue is who is corrupted. A ref? Ok, that is plausible. How about come would be influenced would be a hold call at a key moment or the infamous PI flag that comes in 2 seconds after the play is over.
Something as obvious as a turnover? Doubtful.
The holding call is the one that makes sense.
The only real way to corrupt it is with one person.
Do leagues try to "stear" things? Probably.
Look at Seattle being able to PI (just straight knock in receivers down) late in games or certain offenses getting away with pic plays in the passing game.
The other team could still win, they just need to overcome that extra bit.
The likelihood of games just being straight fixed is low.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Way too obvious to be rigged.
I did a Browns/Pats game a year or two ago that was closest I have seen to a fixed game.
The main issue is why? Why risk a hugely successful product that doesn't new help?
The second issue is who is corrupted. A ref? Ok, that is plausible. How about come would be influenced would be a hold call at a key moment or the infamous PI flag that comes in 2 seconds after the play is over.
Something as obvious as a turnover? Doubtful.
The holding call is the one that makes sense.
The only real way to corrupt it is with one person.
Do leagues try to "stear" things? Probably.
Look at Seattle being able to PI (just straight knock in receivers down) late in games or certain offenses getting away with pic plays in the passing game.
The other team could still win, they just need to overcome that extra bit.
The likelihood of games just being straight fixed is low.

That was my take on this. Just a horrendously blown call, potentially, without hearing why they ruled as they did.

But, I agree; this isn't an example of "fixing".