Anyone Open to Signing a Vet WR as Cuts come in ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
RamFan503 said:
Um... and pay him WHAT exactly? If we were to make a move, it would require some cap space. If we are to make moves to clear cap space, I think I'd be more interested in an O-lineman.
Me too.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
albefree69 said:
bluecoconuts solving the mystery:
Do you think the Eagles keep 3 QB's on the 52? They're not going to risk putting Matt Barkley on the PS, he'll get picked up easily.

I mean he's not that good, but he's good enough that he wouldn't last. Although he's still unsigned it seems.
Finally the light comes on. I forgot about Barkley. I think they're gonna keep all three because Vick is injury prone.

RamFan503 thinking about the cap:
Nick Foles
Cap Value 635,880
Base Salary 500,000
Proration 135,880
Dead Money if cut 407,640
Kellen Clemens
Cap Value 870,000
Base Salary 840,000
Signing Bonus 30,000
Dead Money 30,000

We would save 175,000 if we cut Clemens and signed Foles if I did the math correctly.
Sounds good in theory if you ignore guaranteed money, and no one in there right mind would take on his contract.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
rdlkgliders confusing me:
Sounds good in theory if you ignore guaranteed money, and no one in there right mind would take on his contract.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. None of Clemens money is guaranteed and if we cut him it costs us nothing. Taking over Foles whole salary in lieu of Clemens's salary would still save us $175,000.

Am I missing something?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
Albe with the short attention span:
Nick Foles
Cap Value 635,880
Base Salary 500,000
Proration 135,880
Dead Money if cut 407,640
Kellen Clemens
Cap Value 870,000
Base Salary 840,000
Signing Bonus 30,000
Dead Money 30,000

We would save 175,000 if we cut Clemens and signed Foles if I did the math correctly.

Um... the thread was about signing a Vet WR. Try to keep up.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I wouldn't be due to wanting to see younger talent at least get an opportunity to make the roster for the long term rather than seeing a stop gap for the short term.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good topic BG.

If we exit camp healthy; I don't see it.

Put me in the camp that likes the mix of our players;
(1) Givens - speed, deep threat, developing route runner
(2) Quick - speed, tall, physcial, outside weapon
(3) Austin - speed, matchup nightmare, freak athlete
(4) Pettis - Red zone, dependable hands, clutch "vet", good teacher
(5) Bailey - developmental guy w/potential, hands, routes, character guy
(6) Helmick - speed demon, kickoff returner, developmental guy [note... these are wishful thinking]

RamzFanz

Damnit
Nope. I'm sad we will have to cut some of these UDFAs. Save the money.

If anything, I would add O line.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
albefree69 said:
rdlkgliders confusing me:
I'm not sure what you're saying here. None of Clemens money is guaranteed and if we cut him it costs us nothing. Taking over Foles whole salary in lieu of Clemens's salary would still save us $175,000.

Am I missing something?

I believe the contract is 870,000 this year with a cap hit of 585,000 some deals include a guaranteed hit against the cap. That is not the same as guaranteed money to a player but a guarantee against your cap for that year.
However I believe you could be right and Clemens contract does not carry that clause, If so I apologize.
I am by no means a sports contract expert or even remotely close.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
rdlkgliders replied:
I am by no means a sports contract expert or even remotely close.

I'm not either. Didn't know it myself until I googled it. :lol:

Never apologize for saying something that's your opinion. It's all good here. We thrive on discussion. I learn stuff from my fellow posters all the time. :bg: