Anyone notice how there was no info on Rams picks prior to the draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There wasn't really anything indicating who they were interested in. NFL Network never knows shit but, beat writers kind of came in with last minute tidbits in past seasons. Like the Quick visit and the Tavon visit, etc...

Are LA writers just not that interested, lazy, or what?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure but I saw several reports of who they worked out and who they visited. There is even a thread here about it. One guy they were very high on and worked out a couple times was taken by Arizona unfortunately in Chad Williams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We still seem to get the coverage of a smaller market team.

My guess is because news outlets need to appeal to the masses. Losing teams don't usually do that, as painful as it is to admit.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Rams don't rate the coverage. Haven't for 12 years and counting. Interesting observation about smaller markets and media coverage. Carolina is a small market as is Pittsburgh as is Green Bay as is Kansas City as is Baltimore as is Indianapolis as is Oakland as is New Orleans.....point is teams worth watching get coverage. But hey stinking up a big market is fun too.:yess:

FRO

Legend
Rams don't rate the coverage. Haven't for 12 years and counting. Interesting observation about smaller markets and media coverage. Carolina is a small market as is Pittsburgh as is Green Bay as is Kansas City as is Baltimore as is Indianapolis as is Oakland as is New Orleans.....point is teams worth watching get coverage. But hey stinking up a big market is fun too.:yess:
Bad teams without a first round pick won't get much coverage.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Ill give Jim Thomas credit for this he always had Rams info others didn't and inside information no LA reporter currently has. He would always release the top 30 visits after the draft and most of the lists the Rams would allow before the draft. Perks of having an office in Rams park I guess.

On the other hand Alden Gonzalez is absolutely terrible. Clearly a baseball guy and not a football guy at all barely understands the game. Every one of his pre draft predictions was completely wrong and doesn't seem to have any sources within the organization.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Rich Hammond and Vincent Bongisnore or however you spell his name did some coverage on it, but not a lot, since they're also covering 7 other teams..

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think you can say that about every team.
TThey aren't going to show their hand.
Every one knows a teams needs, but no one really knows what players teams are going to draft.
If all the reports were accurate, we could predict the first 2 rounds of the draft with accuracy.
Mock drafts usually fall apart after the 2nd pick

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lots of our reporters out here are basketbal/soccer/baseball journalist. I doubt they really get the fervor of the real fan. Plus...we were 4-12.

Win...and the coverage will come.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Rich Hammond and Vincent Bongisnore or however you spell his name did some coverage on it, but not a lot, since they're also covering 7 other teams..
Nate Silver offered up quite a bit of Rams info the last few years, don't know where he got off to this year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ill give Jim Thomas credit for this he always had Rams info others didn't and inside information no LA reporter currently has. He would always release the top 30 visits after the draft and most of the lists the Rams would allow before the draft. Perks of having an office in Rams park I guess.

On the other hand Alden Gonzalez is absolutely terrible. Clearly a baseball guy and not a football guy at all barely understands the game. Every one of his pre draft predictions was completely wrong and doesn't seem to have any sources within the organization.

This is more of what I was talking about. Thomas did come up with some late inside info. And Silver has had some draft day, war room reports too. Maybe he is miffed that Fisher is not coaching the team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Seems as if we got rid of the insider spies, that's all. Apparently, private workout for our new HC, is just that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't know IF or how much this had anything to do with it, But Snead said in a presser that they where being very secretive about were they where sneaking off to for visits with Players!