Anyone else nervous about losing Cunningham?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ViennaMax

Rookie
i want to keep him. i think he is one of the most underrated rams.
and not as a returner - he keeps his legs moving, is hard to tackle and know exactly where the 1st down marker is.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Why would we get nervous over losing a 2nd-3rd teamer?

Now don't get me wrong, dude gave his heart and I can appreciate that, but...

Enough with losing scrub back-ups please, this may be a good thing.

Sorry burger guy, just had to say it :LOL:

Benny isn't 3rd string. 2nd rb, 1st kick returner, and the best one the rams have had in a long time. SCRUB? Please, not even close.and to finish by saying "it may be a good thing"?

Definately not your best work, my friend.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
A little worried about losing him, mainly in the event if Gurley gets injured, but I guess Benny couldn't fill his shoes anyhow. I think part of not trying to re-sign him is that they want Gurley to step-up and be that every down back. There was an article early on about how the coaching staff wanted Todd to improve his pass blocking ability, and last season showcased his receiving ability. He needs to become a complete HB.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
How much of the 27 yard average is Cunningham and how much is Fassel and the special teams unit being awesome? Not trying to disparage him, just curious. He's good, I like him. Just wondering if it's reasonable to think we might be able to get similar kick return production from another player.

I'd say it's mostly Benny. Fill-ins haven't done as well on average. The biggest loss felt if Benny moves on will be for his KO return abilities, IMHO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It is what it is with Benny. Dude is not a critical piece. He's not a guy you want to lose but if someone is gonna pay him you wish him well and draft another back.

RB position is insane this year. But yeah it would be so much nicer to have Benny around and not have to draft another back unless one slides and you gotta take the value.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I like Benny, but he's JAG, overrated by some us fans. There's a reason he's still unsigned by any other team right now.

Good depth player, but was always good for a fumble when it counted, it seemed.

I will forever associate him with Gurley leaving the field on 3rd down, tho.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He has been a good player for the Rams but it's time for him to get paid. I won't begrudge him going to the highest bidder.

Zodi

Hall of Fame

He has been a good player for the Rams but it's time for him to get paid. I won't begrudge him going to the highest bidder.

Teams have a shot at signing AP, Lacey and Charles. I'd say Benny's time to get paid hasn't quite arrived yet.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Teams have a shot at signing AP, Lacey and Charles. I'd say Benny's time to get paid hasn't quite arrived yet.

Who on earth would pay good money for those three? Two are broke down and one is a tub of lard. Anyway Benny isn't competing against them as his role will be different to theirs. Maybe Charles is similar but nobody is risking alot of money in him.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Who on earth would pay good money for those three? Two are broke down and one is a tub of lard. Anyway Benny isn't competing against them as his role will be different to theirs. Maybe Charles is similar but nobody is risking alot of money in him.

Hmm. I can start writing a list I guess.

Cunningham and Charles don't really have anything in common. I'd say Benny is closer to Lacey than the other two. But to my point, the free agent market for backs is still pretty saturated, and I don't see an unknown, situational player like Bam Bam getting a payday more than what a team most familiar with his skill-set would offer.

I'm sure Bones would love to have him back more than anyone.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmm. I can start writing a list I guess.

Cunningham and Charles don't really have anything in common. I'd say Benny is closer to Lacey than the other two. But to my point, the free agent market for backs is still pretty saturated, and I don't see an unknown, situational player like Bam Bam getting a payday more than what a team most familiar with his skill-set would offer.

I'm sure Bones would love to have him back more than anyone.

Maybe your definition of a pay day differs from mine. My definition is another team paying him more than the Rams would. You seem to be focusing on big name rbs.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Really do like Benny. If the Rams don't bring him back, I hope he gets a chance to show off with another team. As long as I don't hate that team of course.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Maybe your definition of a pay day differs from mine. My definition is another team paying him more than the Rams would. You seem to be focusing on big name rbs.

Nah, I even stated that I thought he would get the most money from a team familiar with his skillset. I like Bam Bam, but I liked Zac Stacy and Daryl Richardson, too. Fact is, guys like that are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I like Cunningham a lot, he's dependable - and sometimes thats what you need. He big, powerful and can shift a bit too! He's valuable on both RB duty and on ST - If he gets a bigger role with another team for more $$$ then I can't begrudge him leaving, but I think they may be trying to work out a deal otherwise he'd have been cut the same time as Mason & Watts - I'm sure Fassell values his ST contribution and that may be good enough to keep him on the roster.

Ram65

Legend
At least the Jets are interested.

I think some are underestimating Benny's skill set and finding a replacement. Rams can still take a RB in the draft.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/03/nfl_free_agency_2017_jets_hosting_rb_benny_cunning.html
NFL free agency 2017: Jets hosting RB Benny Cunningham on visit, source confirms

22261113-mmmain.jpg

Los Angeles Rams running back Benny Cunningham is pushed out of bounds by Detroit Lions outside linebacker Kyle Van Noy during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 16, 2016, in Detroit. (AP Photo | Paul Sancya)
Email
By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Follow on Twitter
on March 09, 2017 at 6:07 PM, updated March 10, 2017 at 4:17 PM

The Jets will host free agent running back Benny Cunningham on a visit, a league source confirmed.

Cunningham, who turns 27 this summer, entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie with the Rams in 2013, and he has spent his entire career with them. He has 171 career carries for 748 yards and four touchdowns, including 21 carries, 101 yards, and zero touchdowns last season.

He would be a complementary back for the Jets, who already have Matt Forte and Bilal Powell. Cunningham also has 95 kickoff returns in his four-year career, for a 27.1-yard average. His average was 27.2 yards on 22 kickoff returns last season.

The NFL's free agency signing period began Thursday.

Cunningham (5-foot-10 and 210 pounds) played on a one-year restricted free agent contract last season worth $1.671 million. In mid-December, he was placed on injured reserve with a neck injury.

The Jets on Thursday released running back Khiry Robinson. He broke his leg in the preseason last year and was released. The Jets re-signed him in December, but he re-injured his leg later that month. And now, the Jets have cut him again.

In addition to Forte and Powell, the other running backs on the Jets' roster are low-profile young players: Brandon Burks, Brandon Wilds, and Romar Morris. Cunningham would give the Jets a more experienced complementary back, if he winds up signing with them.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Why would we get nervous over losing a 2nd-3rd teamer?

Now don't get me wrong, dude gave his heart and I can appreciate that, but...

Enough with losing scrub back-ups please, this may be a good thing.

Sorry burger guy, just had to say it :LOL:

Benny was a clutch player on 3rd downs -- he was more adept at handling blitz pickups than Gurley, and had a nose for the first-down marker. His absence was definitely noticeable last season while he was on IR.

No, he's not a marquee name -- but he's one of those blue-collar lunch-pail types; and for my money, you can't have enough of those guys on your roster. I think the Rams should at least see what it takes to keep him in horns, before he entertains other suitors.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Losing him would be a mistake unless the price is outrageous. He's a lot more valuable than he gets credit for.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not nervous, at all.

In fact, the more Jeff Fisher players get off this team, the better.

And I'm excited about the potential of a new running back under McVey

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good 3rd down back, decent KO returner, it would be another hole to fill in the line up just how many of those can we have and still fill out the roster with NFL talent each week???

If he is gone I'd be good with Mixon too. They need a lot of pieces but what Benny does should not be under estimated, spending a 3rd on his replacement would not be a bad thing if they get a guy who produces.