Anyone else nervous about losing Cunningham?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Obviously, we have our #1 in Gurley...

But behind him; Malcolm Brown and Aaron Green

No doubt we'll add someone else, either via draft or UDFA.

Not only was Cunningham an exceptional 3rd down option... but a viable starter in a pinch absent Gurley. I don't have the same confidence in the others.

Unlike last year, it doesn't seem the Rams are hoping to keep Cunningham. Maybe they don't feel they could match his offers... or maybe they want a different look back there?

I don't know? But losing him makes me nervous, particularly if Gurley misses any time.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I really like what I've seen from Malcolm Brown, but yeah losing Cunningham still makes me nervous af.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yes. Bam bam is a damn damn good football player. I hope he stays somehow.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IDK, I always liked Benny and what he brought to the table and when called upon very effective, but I'm hoping the Rams draft T.J. Logan out of North Carolina, kid get return kicks catches the ball very well and once he's by you, he's gone!

…..

Legend
I like the player, and he's solid in his role. But I'm not nervous about losing him. I think players with his skill set are readily available. I also think that we need a better home run hitter on kickoff returns. Benny averaged well and had above average ball control, but he didnt have the burst or elusivenss of the prototypical returner.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do we still have the kid from TCU ...UDFA on our roster from last year?
Aaron Green? He was on PS no? I think PS players are all FA unless they have a futures contract. Not sure if he's on roster but I liked that kid

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Do we still have the kid from TCU ...UDFA on our roster from last year?
Oops! Yeah... I see we still have Green. I think he gets a shot at 3rd down back. We definitely will add something via draft/UDFA ... it's almost an NFL certain to add a RB every yr in some shape or form.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Aaron Green? He was on PS no? I think PS players are all FA unless they have a futures contract. Not sure if he's on roster but I liked that kid
We must have signed him to some kind of deal, because he is not listed as a FA or Reserve/Future list on the official site

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Jeez ... I haven't looked at the Rams web site in quite awhile. there are several names listed on it that i don't recognize or know where/when we got them

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I like Benny, but I also think players like him are easy to find and replace. This is also a deep RB draft if you want to take a late round flyer.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.google.com/search?q=ben....69i57j0l5.10211j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

upload_2017-3-12_10-19-6.jpeg

Benjamin Corey Cunningham is an American football running back who is currently a free agent. He played college football at Middle Tennessee State. He was signed by the Rams as an undrafted free agent in 2013.Wikipedia
Born: July 7, 1990 (age 26 years), Nashville, TN
Height: 5′ 10″
Weight: 216 lbs
Education: Middle Tennessee State University
Current team: Los Angeles Rams (#23 / Running back)
Date joined: 2013 (Los Angeles Rams)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a Big fan of Benny C. He will be 27 in July. He doesn't have a lot of wear on the tires.

What he can do:
1. KIckoff Returner-Not a burner but, Benny gets good yardage 27.1 career average.
2. Very good 3rd down back. Blocking, Receiving and Rushing
3. Fill in for Gurley for a couple of games.

What he can't do:
1.Be explosive to break a big play.
2.Be an every down running back should Gurley go down for an extended amount of time.

Disclaimer:I have been wrong on some of the cuts.

It can go either way. I think the money is manageable. It would be prudent to keep Benny around for another year or two. There aren't many solid 3rd down running backs around. Benny gotten a number of first downs on his own by setting up blocks in the screen game and running game. Always a solid protection blocker on 3rd. Rams need to find a back that can be an upgrade. One that can do what Benny does and be more explosive. I think they need to draft/find his successor first.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like Benny a lot but if they lost him and drafted Dare ogunbawale, I wouldn't be too sad.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I like Benny but the new coaching staff likely feels for the cost they can get a draft pick or veteran to be a backup RB for less. We already saw a couple of the WR's that can return kicks plus there are draft picks that can fill that role too. I'll miss him but he's replaceable.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
How much of the 27 yard average is Cunningham and how much is Fassel and the special teams unit being awesome? Not trying to disparage him, just curious. He's good, I like him. Just wondering if it's reasonable to think we might be able to get similar kick return production from another player.