Anybody think Gibson has what it takes to be THE guy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know what to think of him anymore. Sometimes he looks like the best receiver in the league (seriously), and then he'll turn around and disappear altogether. He can make circus catches, and then he'll trip over his own feet while trying to track a deep ball. Man I wish he could put it all together and become consistent. Because he really COULD be a great receiver.

But for now.. I dunno. Is he gonna get bumped by anyone? EVER?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I dunno, I feel the same way that you do. Pretty much every year I think he's the odd man out and he proves otherwise. I still feel that Pettis can eventually replace him and be a better Gibson. Or even Quick if we get another #1 type in the draft or FA.

I think that his chemistry with Bradford is what helps keep him around at this point. He and Amendola are the only ones that Bradford really trusts. Well Givens as well now, thankfully. I like the guy and would love nothing more for him to become consistent, but I think that what we see is what we get in this case.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No. He's talented enough to stick on a team, but he's way too inconsistent to be a number one or two. I'm hoping that one of Keenan Allen or Justin Hunter are one of our first round picks. I particularly like Hunter.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I get the feeling Gibson impresses Fisher because he's a try-hard player. Which I have to believe is also the reason Dahl is still starting at safety.

(IIRC, Stewart missed quite a bit of OTAs, as well as his injury in training camp, which might have contributed to him being in Fisher's doghouse--if such a thing exists.)

I was surprised when Gibson was named a starter, but as so many have said, it's pretty much the state of Rams' WR corps. The coaches are anticipating Quick supplanting him. Perhaps the film of today's game will force them to light a fire under Quick. Just show him Branch's effort on Fletcher's almost INT.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i was very disappointed with quick today. he lacked any kind of enthusiasm out there today. i know the blow out had well and truly set in by the time he got out there but you'd think he'd show some fire to get the ball and make a play. he was very lacklustre until he actually made a good play but before that he was just meh.

looks like the rams will be stuck with gibson for a while yet.

it was amazing how putrid the rams offense turned the moment givens went to the sheds. he has been a beacon of light to the amendolaless plodding offense. can't wait for him and amendola to be on the field together. givens was still finding his way the first couple of games. now he is almost beastly and he will stretch the field for amendola to work he short to medium routes. i can't wait.

oh, and gibson, meh.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I can't stand the guy. I wish he wasn't on the team...because he's inconsistent. He's taking away snaps from other WR's that have more potential than him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram_Fan said:
I can't stand the guy. I wish he wasn't on the team...because he's inconsistent. He's taking away snaps from other WR's that have more potential than him.
Therein lies the rub though. I can appreciate that you can't stand him and all, but if these other receivers who are having snaps stolen from them were better than Gibson, then they wouldn't have anything to worry about. You know?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
I don't know what to think of him anymore. Sometimes he looks like the best receiver in the league (seriously), and then he'll turn around and disappear altogether. He can make circus catches, and then he'll trip over his own feet while trying to track a deep ball. Man I wish he could put it all together and become consistent. Because he really COULD be a great receiver.

To answer your question posed in the thread title,ONLY on a 3-5 team or extended a 6-10 team, THAT you asked is an indictment of the rest of em.
We aren't good enough to win without DA,right now he IS THE GUY, with Givens rising.
Gibson can fill gaps ,but we have to have better,Quick is gonna have to step up and be who he was drafted to be.
I give Gibson props for making some plays, but if he's THE GUY we are not THE TEAM.
We are a second tier team right now , we can degrade the records of others in our division ,for now that's the goal.
I kinda see Gibson and Laurent Robinson a lot alike, put Gibson on the field with Dez Bryant and Miles Austin and he'd look pretty good at times too.

BTW did you SEE DEZ make that catch and put his hand over the endline yesterday,wonder if that was the hand he hit his mother with.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
X said:

To answer your question posed in the thread title,ONLY on a 3-5 team or extended a 6-10 team, THAT you asked is an indictment of the rest of em.
We aren't good enough to win without DA,right now he IS THE GUY, with Givens rising.
Gibson can fill gaps ,but we have to have better,Quick is gonna have to step up and be who he was drafted to be.
I give Gibson props for making some plays, but if he's THE GUY we are not THE TEAM.
We are a second tier team right now , we can degrade the records of others in our division ,for now that's the goal.
I kinda see Gibson and Laurent Robinson a lot alike, put Gibson on the field with Dez Bryant and Miles Austin and he'd look pretty good at times too.

BTW did you SEE DEZ make that catch and put his hand over the endline yesterday,wonder if that was the hand he hit his mother with.
What do you think of Quick's efforts yesterday?
If you don't know what I mean, I'll be putting together a little video later on tonight.

PhxRam

I think he becomes complacent when he is not fighting for a roster spot any longer.

He seemed a lot more consistent in the preseason when he was still battling for a roster spot.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:

If you don't know what I mean, I'll be putting together a little video later on tonight.
I saw two plays, one he looked like a slug the other an all pro.
If he's loafing gotta believe he's hearing about it, but I would like to see that vid, you aren't the only person I've heard mention his less than stellar efforts.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He not "the guy", he's a guy. I think he's a number 3 or 4 receiver. He has really good quickness and body control, but he's nowhere near an elite athlete. His speed is only average, as is his size. The thing Gibson struggles with is his hand placement, and then of course, the momentary lapses of concentration. I still like his chances as a number 3/4 against the number 3/4 db's he would go against. Every receiver drops balls. I'd keep him until talent knocks him off of the depth chart, and that clearly hasn't happened.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:

I saw two plays, one he looked like a slug the other an all pro.
If he's loafing gotta believe he's hearing about it, but I would like to see that vid, you aren't the only person I've heard mention his less than stellar efforts.

Both the interceptions were targeted to Quick. The second one was a comeback route, he seemed to just wait for the ball and the corner jumped the route. He probably could have come back for it or make a better effort, but I'd have to see the play again to confirm that.

My issue was that he didn't tackle the corner right off the bat after he picked it off, didn't turn into a defender. Didn't fight for the first one either.

Then there was the completion where he made a beautiful adjustment to get the ball.

I think the completion is the Quick we'll see next year at a more consistent basis. He's still got some growing to do, but the raw talent is there. With how they hyped it up after the pick, I think we all expected him to contribute right off the bat, and we were probably wrong to do so. I think he'll make us forget all about this year starting next year. It's annoying, but the reward if we stick with it will be great.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Both the interceptions were targeted to Quick. The second one was a comeback route, he seemed to just wait for the ball and the corner jumped the route. He probably could have come back for it or make a better effort, but I'd have to see the play again to confirm that.

My issue was that he didn't tackle the corner right off the bat after he picked it off, didn't turn into a defender. Didn't fight for the first one either.

Then there was the completion where he made a beautiful adjustment to get the ball.

I think the completion is the Quick we'll see next year at a more consistent basis. He's still got some growing to do, but the raw talent is there. With how they hyped it up after the pick, I think we all expected him to contribute right off the bat, and we were probably wrong to do so. I think he'll make us forget all about this year starting next year. It's annoying, but the reward if we stick with it will be great.
I hope you're right. That was something I don't ever want to see. He could have all the talent in the world, but if he has no "Mahbols", then nothing will ever come of it. Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but that was disgusting to see. Someone steals MY pass, and I want some retribution. I'm not standing there going, "Oh well." All I'm saying is, it takes WAY more than just being a good ball catcher to be a good receiver in this league. And I know you know that. I just hope that was an anomaly and not an inherent personality trait or anything.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

I hope you're right. That was something I don't ever want to see. He could have all the talent in the world, but if he has no "Mahbols", then nothing will ever come of it. Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but that was disgusting to see. Someone steals MY pass, and I want some retribution. I'm not standing there going, "Oh well." All I'm saying is, it takes WAY more than just being a good ball catcher to be a good receiver in this league. And I know you know that. I just hope that was an anomaly and not an inherent personality trait or anything.

I'm trying to remain positive about him at this point, I hope so as well though. Those things can usually be coached out of a player (depending on the player and coach of course), but raw talent is something you can't teach. I'm confident in our staff to get him right so that doesn't happen again. I think that once he gets a few receptions and maybe a TD or two his confidence will really start to take off. Look at Givens, he was pretty up and down and then suddenly he connects on a long 50+ yard pass. He liked it so much he decided to go and do it for a TD. Now he can't stop making 50+ yard receptions.

Just gotta get him feeling good.