Anybody heard players thoughts on Frank Cignetti?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Cook still drops a lot of passes for his money, and PFF had him the 2nd most dropped pass rate among TE's

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Good grief.....If we're going to pick nits, name one Rams 'big money contract' player that hasn't received some pretty harsh criticism in the last yr or 2? Even CLong & JL55 are overly criticized...IMO.
First it's not my contention that it's the money, it's yours and you start with ANY now you are confining it to a yr. or 2
If you've followed this thread I never mentioned his contract only his FWIW maturity and commitment AND I don't characterize other peoples motives they haven't stated

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
image.jpg

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
By the way, Cook has the 11th best run blocking PFF rating in the league. Lack of effort? I think not

FrankenRam

Starter
First it's not my contention that it's the money, it's yours and you start with ANY now you are confining it to a yr. or 2
If you've followed this thread I never mentioned his contract only his FWIW maturity and commitment AND I don't characterize other peoples motives they haven't stated

Sorry, I was just trying to make it easy on you to answer the question.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sorry, I was just trying to make it easy on you to answer the question.

WELL fwiw I pretty well believe the size of the contract and or the round a player is drafted in doesn't come into play until the level of performance or attitude appears lacking , Cook has demonstrated some maturity issues and although he did get better at blocking he waited till into his second year of his second contract to work on it , IMO he's quicker than Gronk , faster than Witten ,he is as physically talented as any tight end in the league and as a package may be our best rec. if he is also out hardest worker and willing to work on his weaknesses .
Like I said he's under achieving and has demonstrated a penchant for pouting not a fan of that AT ALL, but all he needs to do to get me off his back is be the stud he should be,OBJ didn't come out of the womb making those catches he developed it Cook can be top three in the league but nobody is gonna give it to him, nuthin pisses me off more than a player who is self satisfied

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher said in his press conference that if Bradford didn't endorse Cignetti, he wouldn't be the OC.
I'm surprised at that statement.

Seems the tail wagging the dog to me.

Not that Bradford's input isn't important... but, after three years, if Fisher hadn't noticed any friction between the two, then the solicitation of Bradford's comments was a non-event.

Also, nothing against Bradford... but he's no Peyton Manning. Am I to believe that, if Bradford said no to Cignetti, Cignetti doesn't get the job?

Mind blowing to me.

I am seriously beginning to wonder about how things are decided at Rams Park.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you forget him shoving Davis because HE dropped a sure TD, leading the HANDS UP?besides the outcoached outburst AND WAS disinterested in blocking?
I was as high on him as could when we signed him, he's earned my disdain
I'm sorry, but that move was total bush to me.

As far as Cook, the player. It's not that he's bad... he certainly is not that.

But, he's just OK. And paid like an elite TE in the league.

Here's some inof:

1. Graham 86/1215
2. Cameron 80/917
3. Gates 77/872
4. Gonzalez 83/859
5. Witten 73/851
6. Davis 52/850
7. Olsen 73/816
8. Thomas 65/788
9. Bennett 65/759
10. Cook 51/671
1. Gronkowski 82/1124
2. Olsen 84/1008
3. Bennett 90/916
4. Walker 63/890
5. Graham 85/889
6. Kelce 87/862
7. Gates 69/821
8. Fleener 51/774
9. Miller 66/761
10. Witten 64/703
11. Ertz 58/702
12. Cook 52/634

In 2015, Cook will count $8.3 against the cap
Compared to:
* Olsen $1.175
* Davis $7.07
* Bennett $6.125
* Witten $8.512
* Walker $5.275
* Gronkowski $8.650

Looking at productivity versus cap hit, Cook just is not providing value (yet). Maybe that changes this year.

For me, he’s need to be putting up seasons of 75+ receptions and 800+ yards.
* Right now, he’s at ~70% in receptions and ~81% in yardage.

Just my $.02
He's a slightly better than

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm surprised at that statement.

Seems the tail wagging the dog to me.

Not that Bradford's input isn't important... but, after three years, if Fisher hadn't noticed any friction between the two, then the solicitation of Bradford's comments was a non-event.

Also, nothing against Bradford... but he's no Peyton Manning. Am I to believe that, if Bradford said no to Cignetti, Cignetti doesn't get the job?

Mind blowing to me.

I am seriously beginning to wonder about how things are decided at Rams Park.

I could not disagree more, and think it's a really good sign that Cigs was the hire.

Sam is a very intelligent QB and has immense knowledge of offense and scheme since he has been exposed to different systems in his time in the league. We can knock his inability to stay healthy but his opinion absolutely should carry a lot of weight at Rams Park. Looking at Fisher's history, he has never had a QB like Sam before so I am sure it's frustrating to him that his offense has sucked so badly. I am certain that his post-season conversation with Sam was a large part of his strategy to identify the offense's biggest weaknesses and with good reason.

This is why I have pointed out more than once that Fish isn't the guy he is characterized as by fans and the media. I believe he wants a strong passing game and his decision making demonstrates that. The decision to go with Cigs is proof that Fish does not dictate 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Had that been the case he would have hired Boras. This season's offense is going to go downfield, and they're gonna attack defenses.

Cigs might not be up to the task, but at this point I cannot second guess the choice and there's only one way to know and that is to give your coach a chance to show what he can do. Sam's stamp of approval on him is a big deal to me.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Maybe it's the slow season and we're parsing every little word to create some more meaning than there is. Slooooooooooooooooooooow seaaaaaaaaaason.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Which I think is too low for a player with his talent and contract.
He's an under achiever.
I'm not saying he's a bad player. He's just not what his contract says he is. At least not yet.
Not sure why you think he is a under achiever.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could not disagree more, and think it's a really good sign that Cigs was the hire.

Sam is a very intelligent QB and has immense knowledge of offense and scheme since he has been exposed to different systems in his time in the league. We can knock his inability to stay healthy but his opinion absolutely should carry a lot of weight at Rams Park. Looking at Fisher's history, he has never had a QB like Sam before so I am sure it's frustrating to him that his offense has sucked so badly. I am certain that his post-season conversation with Sam was a large part of his strategy to identify the offense's biggest weaknesses and with good reason.
I agree his input should be valuable. But the way it was phrased is:
"Fisher said in his press conference that
if Bradford didn't endorse Cignetti, he wouldn't be the OC."
In other words, Bradford made the decision. That's concerning to me. Input? Yes. Making the final decision? No. Put another way, it sounds like - if Fisher wanted to promote Cignetti but Bradford said no - then it wouldn't have happened. Kind of mind blowing to me. Maybe I'm taking it too literally, but that's how it was reported.
As far as not having any QBs like Bradford, well, he was certainly different than Bradford, but McNair was no slouch. I wonder if Fisher consulted Steve on those types of decisions.

This is why I have pointed out more than once that Fish isn't the guy he is characterized as by fans and the media. I believe he wants a strong passing game and his decision making demonstrates that. The decision to go with Cigs is proof that Fish does not dictate 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Had that been the case he would have hired Boras. This season's offense is going to go downfield, and they're gonna attack defenses.
I guess we'll see, but what you are describing flies in the face of what most all reports about Fisher describe:
* Dominate defense
* Strong running game
* Passing game being the recipeient of the strong running game (implying run comes first)

Cigs might not be up to the task, but at this point I cannot second guess the choice and there's only one way to know and that is to give your coach a chance to show what he can do. Sam's stamp of approval on him is a big deal to me.
The coaching staff is the same as when Schottenheimer left. So, we're left with the hope that Cignetti is able to transform what Schottenhiemer built. They've said they weren't making any drastic scheme changes, just simplifying the terminology.

Hopefully, that does the trick. Lord knows, we need better production on the offesnive side of the ball.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Not sure why you think he is a under achiever.
See rmfnlt above.
Pretty much breaks it down.

He hasn't lived up to his contract thus far.
Tons of talent. Big contract. Not so great production.
Again. I didn't say he was a bad player. I just expect great play, day in and day out, from a TE that's payed in the realm of Witten and Gronk.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. Graham 86/1215
2. Cameron 80/917
3. Gates 77/872
4. Gonzalez 83/859
5. Witten 73/851
6. Davis 52/850
7. Olsen 73/816
8. Thomas 65/788
9. Bennett 65/759
10. Cook 51/671
1. Gronkowski 82/1124
2. Olsen 84/1008
3. Bennett 90/916
4. Walker 63/890
5. Graham 85/889
6. Kelce 87/862
7. Gates 69/821
8. Fleener 51/774
9. Miller 66/761
10. Witten 64/703
11. Ertz 58/702
12. Cook 52/634
That's some list there. What I'd love to know is which QB on that list would you replace with Kellen Clemens/Shaun Hill/Austin Davis?