Anybody ever join Columbia House?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I bought into the Columbia House "get 13 records or tapes for 1 penny" deal in 1978. I had a hard time finding 13 I actually wanted. I just got a car, so I needed cassette tapes! I was a 16 year old rocker and there just wasn't too many R&R choices. I credit that "scam" in helping make my music tastes more eclectic. I picked up a Cars, Police, Steely Dan, Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead, and Kansas tape. I never would have considered any of these bands before and now I liked them all. I even got stuck with a couple of odd tapes because I didn't mail back the refusal card in time. Heatwave's "Boogie Nights" was obtained that way, and yes, I liked it too! Once I fulfilled the "buy 6 more at regular club prices" obligation, I was out and done. I had a paper route the previous two years, and all the money I made went toward my first car, Alpine Tape Deck, Pioneer Speakers, and 19 Cassette tapes. I learned a life lesson, but I also gained some cool and needed musical exposure.

Thanks @-X- for bringing that memory back

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I joined both Columbia and BMG. One of them I joined 3 times - don't remember which one. A fair piece of my CD collection is from them. I also joined one of those clubs when I had an 8 track player in my truck. It was quite the 8 track. Great sound and loved that fade out in the middle of a song followed by the rattling sound and then fade back in. I had this one:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I never joined myself , but when I was a kid , I had a friend who did , and I had him get me a few albums

Foreigner4200245385_f.jpg

51K5PaqdNnL._SY300_.jpg

Styx_-_Paradise_Theater.jpg

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Oh come on , Hi Infidelity was an awesome album :)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I never joined myself , but when I was a kid , I had a friend who did , and I had him get me a few albums

Foreigner4200245385_f.jpg

51K5PaqdNnL._SY300_.jpg

Styx_-_Paradise_Theater.jpg

I not only had these same albums,,, I went to the concerts for Foreigner and Reo Speedwagon right after these particular albums came out.

I even have a picture of me as a punk kid sitting on a piling fishing and I'm wearing my 3/4 sleeve concert shirt from the Foreigner 4 concert. That pic is displayed in my house right now. LOL

SierraRam

Recreational User
Oh come on , Hi Infidelity was an awesome album :)

I saw REO headline a "Day on the Green" concert at the Oakland Coliseum in 1982. It was 38 Special, Gamma (Ronnie Montrose), UFO, Kansas & REO. Gamma & UFO tore it up, and Kansas was better than I thought they'd be. Sorry Iowa, but REO sold out with Hi Infidelity... People were getting an early jump on the traffic during their set. "Take it on the run, baby" puke :sick: ;)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I not only had these same albums,,, I went to the concerts for Foreigner and Reo Speedwagon right after these particular albums came out.

I even have a picture of me as a punk kid sitting on a piling fishing and I'm wearing my 3/4 sleeve concert shirt from the Foreigner 4 concert. That pic is displayed in my house right now. LOL

Oh was the fishnet belly shirt in the laundry hamper that day? :whistle:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Oh was the fishnet belly shirt in the laundry hamper that day? :whistle:

That's funny as shit Les. I definitely had more than one of those. Hahahaha

Those 3/4 sleeve concert shits were way too hot for Florida... but there I am in the middle of August in the Keys wearing that God awful thing with a pair of Sundeck board shorts. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's okay, X. You're among friends. Share your secret REO Speedwagon and Air Supply love, and gain strength from the sharing!
Didn't those two bands just morph into one anyway? It was almost like they were doing each other.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm pretty sure I still owe Columbia House some money.