Any other stutterers here?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I've been dealing with this problem since childhood and was curious if anyone else here has dealt with this or with someone you know. I don't stutter when I sing, which I've always found odd.

Over the years I've built up quite a vocabulary in order to substitute words I have problems with. Putting a pause like "um" before a word also helps. Slowing down when I speak seems to make it worse and having to read out loud is still a real problem.

Maybe I was dropped on my head as a child. :sneaky:

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aweaoakyK8

Famous stutterers:

Rowan Atkinson, Emily Blunt, Hugh Grant, James Earl Jones, Samuel L. Jackson, Harvey Keitel, Nicole Kidman, Marilyn Monroe, Rosie Perez, Anthony Quinn, Julia Roberts, Eric Roberts, James Stewart, Bruce Willis, Wilt Chamberlain, Lester Hayes, Bo Jackson, Tommy John, Greg Louganis, Adrian Peterson, Michael Spinks, Darren Sproles, Ken Venturi, Bill Walton, Tiger Woods, Joe Biden, Winston Churchill, Noel Gallagher, Chris Martin, Kylie Minogue, Elvis Presley, Carly Simon, Mel Tillis, Bill Withers, Aristotle, Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton, John Stossel, Marc Anthony, John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, Kendrick Lamar, Charlie Sheen

fearsomefour

Legend
My father played for years with a great jazz piano player who had a terrible stutter he developed as an adult.
He also did not stutter when he sang.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My father played for years with a great jazz piano player who had a terrible stutter he developed as an adult.
He also did not stutter when he sang.

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/content/singing-and-stuttering-what-we-know

Singing and Stuttering: What We Know

The recent success of American Idol hopeful Lazaro Arbos has the entire country talking about singing and stuttering.

"Understanding what dramatically reduces stuttering during singing may eventually help us understand stuttering better," explains Dr. Barry Guitar of the University of Vermont, author of several Stuttering Foundation publications. He offers the following comments on singing and stuttering:

• In singing, we use our vocal chords, lips, and tongue differently than when we talk.
  • There is no time pressure in singing nor is there any communicative pressure.
  • There is now evidence that the brain functions differently for singing than it does for talking
  • When we sing, we generally know the words of the song by heart. "Word retrieval" or searching for the words may play a role in stuttering.
  • Carly Simon, B.B. King, Bill Withers, Nancy Wilson and Mel Tillis are all famous examples of singers who stutter, according to the Stuttering Foundation, www.StutteringHelp.org, a nonprofit founded in 1947.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've been dealing with this problem since childhood and was curious if anyone else here has dealt with this or with someone you know. I don't stutter when I sing, which I've always found odd.

Over the years I've built up quite a vocabulary in order to substitute words I have problems with. Putting a pause like "um" before a word also helps. Slowing down when I speak seems to make it worse and having to read out loud is still a real problem.

Maybe I was dropped on my head as a child. :sneaky:

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aweaoakyK8

Famous stutterers:

Rowan Atkinson, Emily Blunt, Hugh Grant, James Earl Jones, Samuel L. Jackson, Harvey Keitel, Nicole Kidman, Marilyn Monroe, Rosie Perez, Anthony Quinn, Julia Roberts, Eric Roberts, James Stewart, Bruce Willis, Wilt Chamberlain, Lester Hayes, Bo Jackson, Tommy John, Greg Louganis, Adrian Peterson, Michael Spinks, Darren Sproles, Ken Venturi, Bill Walton, Tiger Woods, Joe Biden, Winston Churchill, Noel Gallagher, Chris Martin, Kylie Minogue, Elvis Presley, Carly Simon, Mel Tillis, Bill Withers, Aristotle, Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton, John Stossel, Marc Anthony, John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, Kendrick Lamar, Charlie Sheen

Alright - story time.

My mom is a pretty successful Western Artist (velmiller.com if you want to check it out). We were in North Platte, NE for one of her shows that had guests Mel Tillis, Glenn Campbell, and Tanya Tucker. We went with another of my mom's artist friends to pick them up at the airport. Mel is/was a pilot and was flying in with Glenn and Tanya who were either married or dating or something - I don't remember which. Mel's plane ("Stutter 2")taxied over and when the door opened, he got out and kind of hastily walked toward us followed by Glenn then Tanya - just screaming a tirade at Glenn who was kind of ducking his head. Mel walks up to us and says, "Th th th th th they've been doing that the whole damn flight!" :ROFLMAO: Ah yes... cocaine.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Well , I don't stutter

But ever since I was a kid , I've always tended to talk to fast , and my words would all run together and people had a hard time understanding me , kinda slur my words

So I still remember being in about the 5th grade , I had to go see a speech therapist , mostly just to explain to me that I needed to slow down when I talk , especially when I get excited .....................lol

normally I'm just fine , it's just when I get a little excited , I need to slow down , take a deep breath and concentrate a little more

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mel's plane ("Stutter 2")

That sounds like Mel. :)

Well , I don't stutter

But ever since I was a kid , I've always tended to talk to fast , and my words would all run together and people had a hard time understanding me , kinda slur my words

So I still remember being in about the 5th grade , I had to go see a speech therapist , mostly just to explain to me that I needed to slow down when I talk , especially when I get excited .....................lol

normally I'm just fine , it's just when I get a little excited , I need to slow down , take a deep breath and concentrate a little more

Does that extend to your posting as well? I find myself deleting sentences or entire posts because I didn't think it through due to being excited or upset.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pretty great quote by Mel:
"It seems like just yesterday that I left Florida head'n for Nashville, Tennessee in my '49 Mercury with a busted windshield, a pregnant wife and $29.00 in my pocket. 2002 marks my 46th year in the music business. If I lost it all tomorrow, I guess I could say it only cost me $29.00 and it's been one heck of a ride!"

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
That sounds like Mel. :)

Does that extend to your posting as well? I find myself deleting sentences or entire posts because I didn't think it through due to being excited or upset.

Well I do tend to delete a lot of stuff , not sure if that's the reason or not , but I do tend to repeat a lot of stuff , before I hit the Post Reply button , I'll kinda proof read what I wrote first , only to discover there are parts where I've repeated a lot of stuff like six times , :sneaky:

But yea , there are many times I've deleted or edited a post afterwards , and after I thought about it for a second............lol

Last edited: