Any News Or Rumors Of If Rams Have Made Saffold An Offer?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The FA market will determine his value. He and his agent will let the feeding frenzy work in their favor... if his injury history doesn't concern a team enough to use caution,,, Big Saff will be playing elsewhere next year.

Personally, I'm tired if watching him go down with injuries during games.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The FA market will determine his value. He and his agent will let the feeding frenzy work in their favor... if his injury history doesn't concern a team enough to use caution,,, Big Saff will be playing elsewhere next year.

Personally, I'm tired if watching him go down with injuries during games.

Yes I am too very tired of Saffold's injury after injury after injury etc etc.....One would have to think that the team who would have suffered the most damage from all those injuries the last three season would be the team who would know the correct FA market value on him would you not? The team who knows him the best. Wonder just how many other teams with bundles of cap funds will ignore that set UFA market value and heap more & more as the bidding increases.

The Rams OL forever has been maligned with injuries. Why after the 2012 & 2013 seasons and the all the mega injuries suffered in the OL would you go out & target sign and spend big $$$ cap on one of the most injured OL'ers in recent history?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Well first of all he's going to get a pay raise of substance so some of the things he might consider are, weather , income tax rates or absence thereof (Seattle,Florida teams and Texas teams can brag NO state income tax, Cali is 10.5%) Missouri is mid range http://taxes.about.com/od/statetaxes/a/highest-state-income-tax-rates.htm, chances of making the pro bowl .......here IMO we have a decided advantage,he will never make it as a tackle and most everyone coming after him will be after a tackle, but if we throw some incentives in and promise to keep him at guard barring injury IMO he makes it next year and could become a perennial Pro Bowler,which FWIW brings a chance at HOF should this team gel around him.
Proximity to home could be an issue as well he's from Ohio which has teams ,played at Indiana so could be a Colts fan,in the end there will be a market set for him as the 6th best tackle available, then we'll see.
I can't imagine why he'd want to return to LT other than the money.

As far as returning to left tackle goes, maybe he feels that he has something to prove to himself and the league (especially the Rams). Maybe he just likes the prestige of the left tackle position as opposed to guard. Maybe he just doesn't like having someone on both sides of him at the line.

I agree that he's better off at guard, but it sounds like he wants to play tackle.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
The LT opportunity may sway me, but I'd also consider whether I enjoyed my current work environment, whether my family enjoy living in STL or wherever. I think money would be towards the bottom of my list once I have a house, a car, enough to never be hungry again.

I wonder if Saffold actually likes playing for the Rams anymore.
Just because he didn't rant and rave to the media about Jake Long coming here doesn't mean he's not pissed about it. The guy has been nothing but professional during his time here, but he may be ready for a change of scenery.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Coaching, Home, Friendships with Teammates, Community, Team Pride/Spirit, etc - OK, I know I am really, really reaching (I do realize money is going to be the main issue!) but I do hope the Rams and Saffold can come to a reasonable (for both parties) agreement!

It would be great if something reasonable could be worked out, but I'm not going to plan on it happening.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2014
nfl_saffold_260.jpg
Getty Images

Although the Rams didn’t use the franchise tag or the resurrected transition tag on offensive linemanRodger Saffold, the Rams continue to make keeping him a top priority.

Per a league source, talks between the team and Saffold are expected to intensify as the week unfolds. To date, productive discussions have occurred.

The Rams retain the exclusive ability to negotiate with Saffold until Saturday. At that point, a three-day legal tampering window opens.

That said, plenty of impermissible tampering is and has been happening. And it will continue to happen.

A second-round pick in 2010, Saffold started all 16 games as a rookie. Since then, he has missed 17 of 48 games due to injury. Saffold nevertheless has proven to be a versatile component of the offensive line when healthy, and with left tackle Jake Long still recovering from a torn ACL, the Rams hope to keep Saffold around.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Talks between Rams, Saffold to intensify this week
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2014
nfl_saffold_260.jpg
Getty Images

Although the Rams didn’t use the franchise tag or the resurrected transition tag on offensive linemanRodger Saffold, the Rams continue to make keeping him a top priority.

Per a league source, talks between the team and Saffold are expected to intensify as the week unfolds. To date, productive discussions have occurred.

The Rams retain the exclusive ability to negotiate with Saffold until Saturday. At that point, a three-day legal tampering window opens.

That said, plenty of impermissible tampering is and has been happening. And it will continue to happen.

A second-round pick in 2010, Saffold started all 16 games as a rookie. Since then, he has missed 17 of 48 games due to injury. Saffold nevertheless has proven to be a versatile component of the offensive line when healthy, and with left tackle Jake Long still recovering from a torn ACL, the Rams hope to keep Saffold around.

I know Saffold has had his share of injury issues but I still hope the Rams can sign him to a reasonable extension!