Any musicians here use drum machines?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Yeah -- the teasers are ok; of the 3, I like some of the setups from the Studio Prog kit. But I agree with you on the Fairfax kits (have you tried the Vol. 2 kit?) -- they sound great. Also love the Indie kit for bare-bones rock and the Black Velvet kit for the harder, edgier stuff.
Yes, Fairfax 1 and 2. They're both great.
Thanks for the tip on the Black Velvet kit. Our last project was more 70's vibe with a lot of big vocal, 3 part harmony stuff. We are all jonesing to kick it back up on our next project. That kit might be the next purchase.
Like the Indie kit too.

Keep rocking brother..

Greg Stone

Rookie
Not quite on topic but I've played drums since 1966 and have always hated the idea of electronic drums. 5 months ago a I joined a new trio and 80% of the time we've played venues too small for an acoustic drum kit. So here I am with the smallest footprint Roland kit I could manage: (apologies for the club's Seahawks flag)

11046681_10205465565171672_679154416841400806_n.jpg

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Opted not to buy a drum machine this time around. There are drums on the Zoom R-8 I recently purchased as well as in FL Studio, my main DAW, but I've been using the drums from my Yamaha synth lately. I'm really lousy at programming drums and hate the process because it's so time consuming.

PT, have you ever tried looping the drums? You can get amazing quality analog and MIDI loop discs which come categorized by BPM. You get your tempo and set the DAW to that BPM, , insert or import the clip from the disk, loop it out to the length of your project and you have a basic beat. These disks have rolls, fills, intro's, outros, cymbal crashes which you insert on separate tracks. It's a simple method, especially for demos, with no programming required. They sound great too.
Works in a situation where you don't have a drummer available.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
PT, have you ever tried looping the drums? You can get amazing quality analog and MIDI loop discs which come categorized by BPM. You get your tempo and set the DAW to that BPM, , insert or import the clip from the disk, loop it out to the length of your project and you have a basic beat. These disks have rolls, fills, intro's, outros, cymbal crashes which you insert on separate tracks. It's a simple method, especially for demos, with no programming required. They sound great too.
Works in a situation where you don't have a drummer available.

Yeah, the Zoom comes with half a gig of drum loops but I haven't experimented with that yet. Thanks for the suggestion though. I will look into it further.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Opted not to buy a drum machine this time around. There are drums on the Zoom R-8 I recently purchased as well as in FL Studio, my main DAW, but I've been using the drums from my Yamaha synth lately. I'm really lousy at programming drums and hate the process because it's so time consuming.

Thanks for sharing the tune. I like. (y)
Tried fruity, went back to logic :)

What type of music does everyone produce? I make a lot of hip hop, garage, dub and drum and bass

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Not quite on topic but I've played drums since 1966 and have always hated the idea of electronic drums. 5 months ago a I joined a new trio and 80% of the time we've played venues too small for an acoustic drum kit. So here I am with the smallest footprint Roland kit I could manage: (apologies for the club's Seahawks flag)

11046681_10205465565171672_679154416841400806_n.jpg

Wow, that is a tiny stage. No chickenwire? Wussies, lol.

The first time I ever saw electronic drums played live was Terry Bozio performing with Missing Persons during the 80's. They sucked but he was great as usual.

Greg Stone

Rookie
Wow, that is a tiny stage. No chickenwire? Wussies, lol.

The first time I ever saw electronic drums played live was Terry Bozio performing with Missing Persons during the 80's. They sucked but he was great as usual.

You got that right; six feet deep with the mixer on the floor right in front of me. Roland has the drum sound down and is almost there with the cymbals. I'm playing a Roland Handsonic a hand percussion synth but it has the sounds on tap Roland developed for their $5000 electronic kits. The newest model which arrives today will allow me to use my own samples, so I can upload all my favorite cymbals.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I guess the stuff I write & record is hard rock -- not quite prog, not quite metal (but with little wisps of both, on occasion).

Christian pop/rock/prog rock.

You guys wouldn't happen to have any nice acoustic guitar samples I could use? :) always in the lookout for stuff like that for hip hop and dubstep. Similar to the sort of vibe to the track I posted earlier?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You got that right; six feet deep with the mixer on the floor right in front of me. Roland has the drum sound down and is almost there with the cymbals. I'm playing a Roland Handsonic a hand percussion synth but it has the sounds on tap Roland developed for their $5000 electronic kits. The newest model which arrives today will allow me to use my own samples, so I can upload all my favorite cymbals.

Sounds awesome. My son has an electronic drum kit(don't know what brand) as well which he records through a Boss Br-16. I have zero aptitude for playing drums. You drummers amaze me.

You guys wouldn't happen to have any nice acoustic guitar samples I could use? :) always in the lookout for stuff like that for hip hop and dubstep. Similar to the sort of vibe to the track I posted earlier?

Sorry, can't help you there but there are plenty free ones available on the net. You probably already know that though.

http://www.looperman.com/loops/cats/royalty-free-acoustic-guitar-loops-samples-sounds-wavs-download

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/tech/free-music-samples-download-loops-hits-and-multis-217833/24

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Don't currently have any acoustic samples, but wouldn't object to coming up with something.

BTW: I'm really digging the tune you posted -- kinda trippy and very haunting. And there's lots of breathing room for all the instruments in the mix (something I'm still trying to get better at).

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Don't currently have any acoustic samples, but wouldn't object to coming up with something.

BTW: I'm really digging the tune you posted -- kinda trippy and very haunting. And there's lots of breathing room for all the instruments in the mix (something I'm still trying to get better at).

Cheers man, I like to try and leave space in the mix so every sound has its on frequency range, keep everything from being a tad muddy. Always up for crossing genre's so if you have any ideas, hit me up mate. Call the track Ground and pound :)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yes. My son has an American Fender Stratocaster and an Epiphone SG. I have a 63 Gibson 12-string acoustic with a pickup and a crappy Memphis electric. Can't afford what I really want: a Gibson Les Paul. So I researched and found that the best copies are made in South Korea and run from $300.00 to $400. That's next on my shopping list. Sure, if I can help you in any way let me know.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product7126.html

I've used Rondo several times. I had a 5 string bass made by Agile but called Brice in South Korea. It was really well built. Well worth the money. Neck was heavy built and didn't budge in any weather. One thing, pickup upgrades seemed necessary before any real gigging. I'm a garage band guy, no big deal for me but they were noisy. Also had a tenor banjo that played better than it cost and I currently have a fretless bass that's well built. Again, except for the noisy pickups.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I've used Rondo several times. I had a 5 string bass made by Agile but called Brice in South Korea. It was really well built. Well worth the money. Neck was heavy built and didn't budge in any weather. One thing, pickup upgrades seemed necessary before any real gigging. I'm a garage band guy, no big deal for me but they were noisy. Also had a tenor banjo that played better than it cost and I currently have a fretless bass that's well built. Again, except for the noisy pickups.

Ended up buying this one a few months ago. It has the Alnico humbuckers along with Grover tuning pegs. It's really heavy compared to the Fender Teles I've owned in the past. Other than that, no complaints.

mlFOMpP.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.rondomusic.com/harm1natashextended.html

Looked at that one a time or two.

Nice guitar you got. I hope your pickups were quiet.

Nice looking Ash Top guitar. Always loved the Les Paul look and sound. Back in the day one would cost you around the same amount I paid for the Agile, but today it's thousands of dollars more and I can't afford that. I would say that the pickups on the Agile are in the medium range for quietness - not too bad but could be a tad quieter.