Any musicians here use drum machines?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I record through FL Studio 10 but have grown weary of using the built in drum machine because every measure has to be programmed separately and it's a real time sucker. Back in the day I used an Alesis SR-16 but the sounds were not really too realistic. I'm currently trying to decide between an Alesis SR-18 ($260.00), a Boss Dr-880($500.00) or a BeatBuddy($350.00).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfjMfgY0lss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-an4EsfAg8M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa7W8P_PkAY

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Closest thing to a drum machine I use is the session drummer for Cakewalk Studio. Also known as the software from hell. Talk about complicated, geez. If you can navigate your way through the mess it does have some pretty nice sounding drums.

That Beatbuddy really looks cool.

You said you were a guitar player right? Sorry I have a memory span of about 5 minutes.

I'd sure love to have a good guitar player do some testing of pickups for me. If your ever interested in that let me know.
I just finished my CNC winder in December and have been experimenting with different builds. I like what I'm hearing but I'm not much of a player to be honest.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You said you were a guitar player right?

Yes. My son has an American Fender Stratocaster and an Epiphone SG. I have a 63 Gibson 12-string acoustic with a pickup and a crappy Memphis electric. Can't afford what I really want: a Gibson Les Paul. So I researched and found that the best copies are made in South Korea and run from $300.00 to $400. That's next on my shopping list. Sure, if I can help you in any way let me know.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product7126.html

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Best of both worlds -- use the physical drum machine to build your paterns and chain them into a song. THEN -- use your drum machine as a MIDI controller to your drum software of choice for the drum sounds (I'm running Addictive Drums 2 that came bundled with Sonar X3). I still own an Alesis SR-16, and that's how I use it now.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I have heard a lot of good things about those Rondo guitars. You know another really great bang for the buck guitar is the Dean Thoroughbred series of guitars. I picked one up last year for $225 Brand new and it is one of the best guitars I own. It is better than my PRS Bernie Marsden which cost 3 times that much. Right out of the box the frets were fantastic. I think it's the only guitar I own I didn't have to do some work on when first purchased. There is a place called world music supply you might want to check out. Sometimes they have clearance sales on guitars at really great price. Never purchased from them myself but It's only a matter of time, LOL.

The help I'm looking for is just someone I can send a set of humbuckers to and get some feedback on how they sound. A lot of people don't like to mess with that though which I totally understand. The first time I replaced pickups I was scared of ruining my guitar. Anyway regardless of if you want to be a tester, if you ever need a set of humbuckers just send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a free set. Keeping the peace around here should be worth a little fringe benefit. :)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Best of both worlds -- use the physical drum machine to build your paterns and chain them into a song. THEN -- use your drum machine as a MIDI controller to your drum software of choice for the drum sounds (I'm running Addictive Drums 2 that came bundled with Sonar X3). I still own an Alesis SR-16, and that's how I use it now.

Thanks for the advice.

It is better than my PRS Bernie Marsden which cost 3 times that much.

Yeah, I've always felt the Paul Reed Smith guitars were overpriced. That brand and Fender and Gibson charge extra for the name. The Asian companies are catching up in quality just like they did with cars.

Checked out the World Music Supply site. They don't sell drum machines but some of the guitars are interesting. Thanks.

I see now what you need help with. Sorry, I'm a real klutz when it comes to hotrodding guitars.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Well not so sure how live I am these days but yes you guessed right my friend.

Don't know any drummers here in Cumberland(Mayberry RFD) who are willing to come over here and lay down tracks:rockon: so I have to make do with cold, unfeeling machines. Poor PT. :oops:

fearsomefour

Legend
As a former drummer myself I must say, if you want to use a guitar machine it shouldn't be that hard....just need a machine that shows up late, missing some cords or pedals and gets stuck on a loop of the same "shredder" solo.....

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Q: What do you call a drummer that doesn't have a girlfriend?
A: Homeless

Q: How do you get a bass player off your front porch?
A: Pay him for the pizza

Q: How can you tell when a harmonica player is at your front door?
A: He doesn't need a key -- he'll come in whenever the hell he feels like it

Q: What's the difference between a guitar player and a savings bond?
A: The savings bond will eventually mature and earn money

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I have heard a lot of good things about those Rondo guitars. You know another really great bang for the buck guitar is the Dean Thoroughbred series of guitars. I picked one up last year for $225 Brand new and it is one of the best guitars I own. It is better than my PRS Bernie Marsden which cost 3 times that much. Right out of the box the frets were fantastic. I think it's the only guitar I own I didn't have to do some work on when first purchased. There is a place called world music supply you might want to check out. Sometimes they have clearance sales on guitars at really great price. Never purchased from them myself but It's only a matter of time, LOL.

The help I'm looking for is just someone I can send a set of humbuckers to and get some feedback on how they sound. A lot of people don't like to mess with that though which I totally understand. The first time I replaced pickups I was scared of ruining my guitar. Anyway regardless of if you want to be a tester, if you ever need a set of humbuckers just send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a free set. Keeping the peace around here should be worth a little fringe benefit. :)

I'm your huckleberry. I don't play as much as I used to but my 18 year old son is in 2 or 3 bands and I am sure he would be happy to test drive that humbucker. As long as it isn't active, I am sure I could wire it into my Les Paul Studio that he plays most. If not, he has an Ibenez with a bridge humbucker that could be replaced. Let me know. I could even get you live footage of it in action the next time he gigs out if you wanted, haha.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I'm your huckleberry. I don't play as much as I used to but my 18 year old son is in 2 or 3 bands and I am sure he would be happy to test drive that humbucker. As long as it isn't active, I am sure I could wire it into my Les Paul Studio that he plays most. If not, he has an Ibenez with a bridge humbucker that could be replaced. Let me know. I could even get you live footage of it in action the next time he gigs out if you wanted, haha.

Awesome! You have mail.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Some of the premium kits in Addictive are sweeter than the teasers. The Fairfax kit is awesome for blues.
I like my X3 software. Use guitar rig when recording with cans. Izotope Ozone 5 for 'around the house' mastering. You-tube ready.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Some of the premium kits in Addictive are sweeter than the teasers. The Fairfax kit is awesome for blues.
I like my X3 software. Use guitar rig when recording with cans. Izotope Ozone 5 for 'around the house' mastering. You-tube ready.

Yeah -- the teasers are ok; of the 3, I like some of the setups from the Studio Prog kit. But I agree with you on the Fairfax kits (have you tried the Vol. 2 kit?) -- they sound great. Also love the Indie kit for bare-bones rock and the Black Velvet kit for the harder, edgier stuff.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I record through FL Studio 10 but have grown weary of using the built in drum machine because every measure has to be programmed separately and it's a real time sucker. Back in the day I used an Alesis SR-16 but the sounds were not really too realistic. I'm currently trying to decide between an Alesis SR-18 ($260.00), a Boss Dr-880($500.00) or a BeatBuddy($350.00).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfjMfgY0lss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-an4EsfAg8M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa7W8P_PkAY

I've never had a drum machine but I use plenty of synths and samplers :)
I mostly use my own drum hits that I've created and tweaked over the years!

heres a track a did a few years ago..

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I've never had a drum machine but I use plenty of synths and samplers :)

Opted not to buy a drum machine this time around. There are drums on the Zoom R-8 I recently purchased as well as in FL Studio, my main DAW, but I've been using the drums from my Yamaha synth lately. I'm really lousy at programming drums and hate the process because it's so time consuming.

heres a track a did a few years ago..

Thanks for sharing the tune. I like. (y)