Any Interest In Safety Thomas Decoud?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
He'll turn 29 in March.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/2...ase-thomas-decoud-by-march-15-per-adam-caplan

Falcons To Release Thomas DeCoud By March 15, Per Adam Caplan
By Dave Choate@TheFalcoholic on Feb 25 2014

The Falcons will cut ties with the man who started virtually every game at free safety for the last five years, according to ESPN's Adam Caplan.

The writing has been on the wall for Thomas DeCoud since the 2013 season ended. The veteran free safety had easily the worst year of his career, and with the Falcons realizing about $3 million in cap savings by releasing him, it was virtually an inevitability the team would choose to go in a different direction at the position.

While we still don't know precisely when it will happen, Adam Caplan put a hard deadline on it today on the NFL Insiders show on ESPN. In case you're wondering what the broadcast was, here's a few quick details. Hat tip to our own Caleb Rutherford for alerting us to the broadcast:

Adam Caplan ✔ @caplannfl
Follow

@SteveInBrooklyn: Expected before his $2.25 M base guarantee kicks in.

4:57 PM - 25 Feb 2014

As you can see above, Caplan told friend of The Falcoholic @SteveinBrooklyn that he expects DeCoud to be released before March 15, when his base salary would become guaranteed. The Falcons realize $3 million in savings, as I mentioned, and could potentially be over $30 million in cap space if the optimistic projections for the NFL salary cap come to pass. It would likely be the last major cut off the offseason, or at least until after the 2014 NFL Draft.

If this comes to pass—and I have to believe it will—DeCoud's Atlanta career will end on a sour note. He was the team's starting free safety for five seasons, turning in one stellar, turnover-filled year, a couple of average to above average ones and last year's train wreck. Along the way, he has been a fun presence and a trash-talking ballhawk on a fairly muted team. I want the Falcons to upgrade on the position, but I don't think DeCoud's contributions should go unrecognized.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends on the price. If he's cheap...you could do worse. He's pretty average...but that's better than our current alternatives.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Hr graded out as one of the worst starters last year...but I think you always kick the tires on a vet that has had success in the past. I think if you are a safety needy team like the Rams you do your research on WHY he played poorly last season and then evaluate.