Any Chance We Stick With Our Current Ol?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The OL is a reoccurring theme in offseason personelle moves. What would your mind set be if our starting OL 2014 was...

Long-Jones-Wells-Dahl-Beetlejuice

They're all under contract and all but Barks were injured in 2013. BUT we'll see if Rams do actually make moves due to injury. If they truly don't then these are your potential starters.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Why would we put Dahl back in when Saffold did good there and Barks did good on the outside? Was a much better line than with Dahl in.

Wells can go to. Need at least one new starter(LG), whether through FA or the draft. Don't know what we have in Jones yet so don't know how he will factor in.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why would we put Dahl back in when Saffold did good there and Barks did good on the outside? Was a much better line than with Dahl in.

Wells can go to. Need at least one new starter(LG), whether through FA or the draft. Don't know what we have in Jones yet so don't know how he will factor in.

Saffold isn't under contract anymore, buddy. JT thinks he's gone. Wells was injured which is suppose to mean he's safe, right? There is always that chance they feel his play deteriorated but a move would not be made because he's been hurt.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Saffold isn't under contract anymore, buddy. JT thinks he's gone. Wells was injured which is suppose to mean he's safe, right? There is always that chance they feel his play deteriorated but a move would not be made because he's been hurt.

I wish they would just release Wells. And Dahl ofc. As for Saffold, he is still a Ram, so until he signs with another team I will use him in the equation, regardless of what JT says lol.

Could either draft a guard in the early rounds(not 1st) and a tackle and both can play guard spots or the tackle can move to RT and Barks into RG. Or we can grab one of those in FA.

But as to your original question which i didn't really answer because i got side tracked right away, if our starting line was Long-Jones-Wells-Dahl-Beetlejuice, I would not be happy and i doubt Sam would be either.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wish they would just release Wells. And Dahl ofc. As for Saffold, he is still a Ram, so until he signs with another team I will use him in the equation, regardless of what JT says lol.

Could either draft a guard in the early rounds(not 1st) and a tackle and both can play guard spots or the tackle can move to RT and Barks into RG. Or we can grab one of those in FA.

But as to your original question which i didn't really answer because i got side tracked right away, if our starting line was Long-Jones-Wells-Dahl-Beetlejuice, I would not be happy and i doubt Sam would be either.

Tron....IMO Saffold is no closer to be a Ram for the 2014 season than lets say OL'ers Brandon Albert or Tyson Clabo or Jon Asamoah are they are all the same UFA's for 2014.

As far as the starting 2014 season & what it might look like?.....Thats a good question ...think about this .....#1-Which Ram OLer started the most games in in 2013? #2-Which Ram OL'er finished the most games that he started? #3-Which Ram starting OL remained fully healthy in 2013? #4-Which 2013 Ram OL'er has played four Ram OL positions the last two seasons? #5-What starting 2013 OL was considered the weak link?

Last edited by a moderator:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Tron....IMO Saffold is no closer to be a Ram for the 2014 season than lets say OL'ers Brandon Albert or Tyson Clabo or Jon Asamoah are they are all the same UFA's for 2014.

As far as the starting 2014 season & what it might look like?.....Thats a good question ...think about this .....#1-Which Ram OLer started the most games in in 2013? #2-Which Ram OL'er finished the most games that he started? #3-Which Ram starting OL remained fully healthy in 2013? #4-Which 2013 Ram OL'er has played four Ram OL positions the last two seasons? #5-What starting 2013 OL was considered the weak link?
[/quote]

Oh I like this...

1. Long or Barks
2. Barks
3. Barks for is high up there
4. LG

But that's the beauty of it. Quality outweighs health in talking about the Rams, according to Snead. We're suppose to throw health out the window when talking about replacing guys like Finn, Long, and Dahl. It's kinda of a "Gotch ya" topic on Snead. If he does replace Wells or Dahl, how does he justify it without looking like he gave out false information?? He can't mention health as a reason, period.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

You could be right with Saffold, but i rather just wait and see first. Maybe Saffold leaves and we grab someone to replace him in FA? I don't know the answers to your questions but i'll give them a go, hope you have the answers to correct my wrong ones lol

1. Saffold or Barks
2. Saffold or Barks
3. Barksdale
4. Saffold or Dahl
5. Wells, Dahl, Williams or Smith or all four lol.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If he does replace Wells or Dahl, how does he justify it without looking like he gave out false information?? He can't mention health as a reason, period.[/quote]

He can say that they underperformed, since they played bad the majority of the time when they were in.

fearsomefour

Legend
It would not surprise me much if both Dahl and Wells are back. Long/Barnes/Wells/Dahl/Barksdale would not surprise me much. The justification would be not being able to find improvements in FA for less money and lack of experience if everyone walks. Also, the Rams had a pretty good running game the second half of the season, Stacy didnt get all those yards on his own. It would also eleviate (not to me) the need to take Oline in the first round.
I wonder what they are thinking in Ram land sometimes.....just keeping signing TEs to the practice squad.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
UFA Chris Williams was the answer to all those five questions.

Here's the list of Ram Ol'ers on the amount of games finished not started:
OLG/CW-16
ORT/JB-15
OLT/JL-14
OC/SW-11
ORT/ORG/RS-8
ORG/HD-8
OC/TB-5
ORG/SS-3
OLG/BW-1

If we take Snead by what he said then Harvey Dahl & Scott Wells will return to the Ram OL in 2014 so much for any OL improvement in 2014!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If he does replace Wells or Dahl, how does he justify it without looking like he gave out false information?? He can't mention health as a reason, period.

He can say that they underperformed, since they played bad the majority of the time when they were in.[/quote]

Were they bad enough to replace with rookies that aren't drafted high (typical Fisher.) Being Dahl was vastly outplayed by Saffold then the answer is yes. Barnes sucked against Seattle so no argument against Wells in
comparison, IMO.

Honestly, I think we should cut these guys because they're on the injury list so often. It's one heck of a smoke screen if Snead feels the same way.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
He can say that they underperformed, since they played bad the majority of the time when they were in.
Were they bad enough to replace with rookies that aren't drafted high (typical Fisher.) Being Dahl was vastly outplayed by Saffold then the answer is yes. Barnes sucked against Seattle so no argument against Wells in
comparison, IMO.

Honestly, I think we should cut these guys because they're on the injury list so often. It's one heck of a smoke screen if Snead feels the same way.

Regardless of the reason Snead gives, i agree they need to be cut, both because of poor play and injuries. Do you mean Dahl and Barnes? Or Dahl and Wells? Or all 3?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It would not surprise me much if both Dahl and Wells are back. Long/Barnes/Wells/Dahl/Barksdale would not surprise me much. The justification would be not being able to find improvements in FA for less money and lack of experience if everyone walks. Also, the Rams had a pretty good running game the second half of the season, Stacy didnt get all those yards on his own. It would also eleviate (not to me) the need to take Oline in the first round.
I wonder what they are thinking in Ram land sometimes.....just keeping signing TEs to the practice squad.

Me either. That lack of available OL's with any amount of NFL pass blocking experience would be the key issue here. The last five games of the season were done with out Scott Wells & Harvey Dahl being on the field much so they had very little to do with those games.

To me I look at it that would bring a bright light to the great need of drafting a healthy youthful cheaper OL'er who can pass block..... normally very Rare and found only near the top rankings of the NFL draft prospects.

I really think that Snead/Fisher/Boudreau will rush to sign Chris Williams to a new contract ASAP!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Oh I like this...
1. Long or Barks
2. Barks
3. Barks for is high up there
4. LG
But that's the beauty of it. Quality outweighs health in talking about the Rams, according to Snead. We're suppose to throw health out the window when talking about replacing guys like Finn, Long, and Dahl. It's kinda of a "Gotch ya" topic on Snead. If he does replace Wells or Dahl, how does he justify it without looking like he gave out false information?? He can't mention health as a reason, period.

Here's the list of Ram Ol'ers on the amount of games finished not started:
OLG/CW-16
ORT/JB-15
OLT/JL-14
OC/SW-11
ORT/ORG/RS-8
ORG/HD-8
OC/TB-5
ORG/SS-3
OLG/BW-1

If we take Snead by what he said then Harvey Dahl & Scott Wells will return to the Ram OL in 2014 so much for any OL improvement in 2014![/quote]

Wow!!! I don't even care for Williams.

The trick is to draft for quality depth. You are right, though. Our starters are already set, besides LG, if we go by what he said. You add on the fact Fisher doesn't draft OL'man high and you can basically kiss the "OL upgrades" good bye, in terms of starters. So where do we target our picks?

I say LB and CB are shoe ins and a LG later.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Regardless of the reason Snead gives, i agree they need to be cut, both because of poor play and injuries. Do you mean Dahl and Barnes? Or Dahl and Wells? Or all 3?

Dahl and Wells. Barnes is a back-up to begin with.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Dahl and Wells. Barnes is a back-up to begin with.

K, just making sure i was agreeing with the right thing lol. Most of my O-line opinions are not agreeable with others lol.

So what do you suppose happens with the center spot? Jones starts above Barnes? Draft a new starting center? Draft a new center to compete with Jones? Grab a center in FA(Mack)?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Wow!!! I don't even care for Williams.

The trick is to draft for quality depth. You are right, though. Our starters are already set, besides LG, if we go by what he said. You add on the fact Fisher doesn't draft OL'man high and you can basically kiss the "OL upgrades" good bye, in terms of starters. So where do we target our picks?

I say LB and CB are shoe ins and a LG later.

The state of the OL is not good it's very bad. I have major concerns but I am not alone on this. Rams must have a season vet ready to go @ OLT just in case the Rams OL luck .....LUCK :wow: goes from bad to very bad. Who can the Rams sign that has done this before?
OL upgrades???? where did that come from? What upgrades?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Come on draft day! Want to see how disappointed I'll be with this draft! 2 high picks for the o line is the minimum I think should be drafted. 1st and second round!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
K, just making sure i was agreeing with the right thing lol. Most of my O-line opinions are not agreeable with others lol.

So what do you suppose happens with the center spot? Jones starts above Barnes? Draft a new starting center? Draft a new center to compete with Jones? Grab a center in FA(Mack)?

It depends on if we keep Wells or not. He is our starter as of now and Snead has mentioned nothing about any replacements, which isn't a surprise. If Wells is cut then I'm not sure what we do. I comes down to how they feel about Barnes. He played OK but he gets overpowered too much. The guy needs to get stronger. I have a hard time thinking the Rams will go after any high dollar free agents with their cap situation.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
According to the stats on NFL.com, we ranked 8th in the league in sacks allowed and 19th in quarterback hits, so our line was above average last year.

Having said that, there is absolutely no way we can rest on our laurels. Standing still in this league is tantamount to going backwards, as our rivals are only going to get better.

We need to strengthen both guard spots (assuming Saffold doesn't come back) and find a swing tackle. I'm more than happy to dump both Wells and Dahl this off-season to make cap space. Barnes or Jones can fill in at center (if they've both hit the gym hard) and we can draft Dahl's replacement late in round one or early in round two of the draft. David Yankey is the guy I'd like: he has all-pro potential as a RG and could play tackle if needed.