Anti-vent thread Rams v Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The D will come around, its a virtual Mash unit right now.
Much to my surprise, the offense is getting better each week, today they were awesome. Gurley had some holes because they cant stack the box. Keenum tore up the intermediate stuff.
I hate losing, but I was so enthused by how offense played. 2 10+ play drives in their first 2 series? Just wow
Lets go take a crap on Spags and JJ, and smoke the G-men. Come home 4-3 to a bye and we can focus on a strong finish

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
As the season progresses, the Rams offense is finding who are the reliable hands and who has the heart of steel to come thru during crunch time. And the coaching staff must recognize this and to open up the offense to their playmakers and the supporting cast.

Britt, Quick, Austin, Gurley and Keemun are playing with heart. It is now up to the Rams offense to open up their playbook and help out the defense that is always tired and gassed out.

When the defense heals and comes back from injuries, the Rams offense must play fast, fierce and furious because a shootout with good offenses won't do it.

Last edited:

JRobinson

MiLB
So here is what I saw in this game:

Case Keenum was on point and played the best I've ever seen him play in his career thus far. Did he make a mistake at the end of the game? Absolutely. However, outside of that one forced to throw to Kendricks, he was on point and decided to set a record.

I've come to grips with the simple fact that the offensive line is not as good as it was last year (which even then was suspect). I believe the best offensive lineman that we have is Havenstein; and he's better and more consistent by a solid margin IMO. But, overall, the line did a little bit better in the running game today which leads me to my second point....

Todd Gurley rushed pretty well today for the amount of carries he received but, in the second half the offense was not on the field as much as the defense was. Not to mention that the passing game was thriving, and Gurley was able to get involved in that as well.

Speaking of a thriving passing game, Matthew Stafford executed very well today. The receivers for the Lions had their fair share of drops, but they also made some plays of their own. Yes, our secondary did a horrible job of communicating, especially with Hill in there. But the receivers of the lions also made some plays, even when Hill and others we're in pretty good position. So although the Rams had some problems in the secondary today, I have to give credit to the Lions for doing their job too.

Lastly, the defense was on the field a lot today and could not apply pressure for the most part against the Lions. I don't believe the defense did a terrible job, but not having Brockers for a lot of the game, and not having Quinn, really affected our ability to rush the passer. I also thought that rookie Josh Forest did a pretty good job today for the record.

Overall, I am disappointed that we lost, and I completely disagree with the fact that Jeff Fisher went for it on fourth and goal to end the first half. It was a game that we could have one, and a game that I think we will look back on that could define the first half of the season for us.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Heck of a game or at least what I got to see of it.

Keenum and the offense were able to move the ball at will until those last two drives. As a what can we do to improve suggestion I'd sure like to have seen them pound the ball down their throats on that 4 minute drive get in to position and kick the game winner as time expired. By all accounts they ran the ball well in the beginning of the game, no reason to think they couldn't have done the same. Was the running game really that good? I did not see the first half.

Although I'd love to have someone fall in our laps to solidify the back end I think it would be more likely to find help along the front to help with the pressure. If Quinn can't get back soon and play at a top level how about a change on the dline? Move Donald around give him more opportunity from the outside? Something different, they should have been pounding Stafford all day.

Lots of time left for this team to make a run and get into the playoffs. I trust Fisher and this crew to build momentum to the end of the season and have a chance to either win the division over the last month or at the very least fight their way in.

As for developing Goff I don't see that as something Fisher is doing. I think it is more on Weinke and Groh. Fisher is a defensive guy and I believe a guy who knows how to delegate those things to the people he hires. I'm sure Goff will come around not sure when but after seeing how Keenum and this offense is progressing I'm good with waiting.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
It's a tradition to put up a vent thread so that there aren't 50 threads on the front page with individual vents as the thread titles. Works well for us. Plus there's a 24 hour rule on those and then they're locked. I will, however, be making the Anti-Vent a new tradition as well. There may be a game down the road where we lose 30-3, and there won't be much to praise, but I'm gonna do it anyway. I like constructive criticism and level-headedness much more than reading about how we need to nuke everyone and start over (which is never an option anyway).

Will we get in trouble for saying positive comments in the vent thread?

Ram Pat

Rookie
I think we should take a look at the CB that Carolina cut Bene. He was a decent CB before his last performances in Carolina, we have a record of turning talented DBs into beasts. Letting Janoris walk is really hurting us now, it is what it is at this point but we need help there with Tru down.
Bene was picked up on waivers by Miami

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I found the adult section of this forum, cool! ;)

Case has shown us that he has what it takes to move us up and down the field. The last 5 games he has put up 'enough' numbers for our offense to top 20 for sure....he is keeping his end of the bargain, pick 6's withstanding.

Is the offense getting that good, or did we play a lower echelon defense? If we can perform near this level of efficiency on offense we have a chance to win any game--even Atlanta, Carolina and Patsys---which looked impossible after the 1st two games. Beating the Giants is important.....I still think this Lion games is the 'the' game that determines if we have enough wins for the playofss.

We have 6 1st and 2nd picks in the front 7 (incl joyner & Barron in that). What team has that? OUr defense needs to find a way to win with injuries to the corners.

This is the easiest Ram schedule, in my opine, since Fisher coached. We may walk in to a hornets nest in Carolina game....they need help at corner, too. Besides Carolina, no team is better than us on any given Sunday. We will no longer upset teams, but beat them.

And, we just may get a late first rounder for Case in the 2017 draft....or he may start.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Having played 4 of the first 6 games on the road...a 3-3 record isn't terrible, but we needed at least one of these last two that got away at the end(Buffalo/Detroit).

Anyway...beat NY, get the defense healthy and continue building on that offense we've seen the last few weeks.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some good
So here is what I saw in this game:

Case Keenum was on point and played the best I've ever seen him play in his career thus far. Did he make a mistake at the end of the game? Absolutely. However, outside of that one forced to throw to Kendricks, he was on point and decided to set a record.

I've come to grips with the simple fact that the offensive line is not as good as it was last year (which even then was suspect). I believe the best offensive lineman that we have is Havenstein; and he's better and more consistent by a solid margin IMO. But, overall, the line did a little bit better in the running game today which leads me to my second point....

Todd Gurley rushed pretty well today for the amount of carries he received but, in the second half the offense was not on the field as much as the defense was. Not to mention that the passing game was thriving, and Gurley was able to get involved in that as well.

Speaking of a thriving passing game, Matthew Stafford executed very well today. The receivers for the Lions had their fair share of drops, but they also made some plays of their own. Yes, our secondary did a horrible job of communicating, especially with Hill in there. But the receivers of the lions also made some plays, even when Hill and others we're in pretty good position. So although the Rams had some problems in the secondary today, I have to give credit to the Lions for doing their job too.

Lastly, the defense was on the field a lot today and could not apply pressure for the most part against the Lions. I don't believe the defense did a terrible job, but not having Brockers for a lot of the game, and not having Quinn, really affected our ability to rush the passer. I also thought that rookie Josh Forest did a pretty good job today for the record.

Overall, I am disappointed that we lost, and I completely disagree with the fact that Jeff Fisher went for it on fourth and goal to end the first half. It was a game that we could have one, and a game that I think we will look back on that could define the first half of the season for us.
Some good points except the defense was lousy at best . They were on the field a lot because they couldn't stop the Lions . I can't count how many 3rd down and whatever they gave up . The O finally comes around, and the D lays an egg . Injuries are no excuse if you take a look at the Lions inactives . Just my opinion of course.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Some good

Some good points except the defense was lousy at best . They were on the field a lot because they couldn't stop the Lions . I can't count how many 3rd down and whatever they gave up . The O finally comes around, and the D lays an egg . Injuries are no excuse if you take a look at the Lions inactives . Just my opinion of course.
Injuries aren't an excuse but they are a factor. When your best pass rusher and best CB don't play it's going to show up on the field.

Having said that, the defense didn't tackle well or make enough plays all day long.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
And, we just may get a late first rounder for Case in the 2017 draft....or he may start.
As solid as Case has been, I doubt he would ever rate a first. Besides, he is building great experience for us to keep as an experienced backup. I think it may be Mannion, unfortunately, that moves on.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Jeff will hold on to him....1st round tender or s-thing.

He is unrestricted....the only way to make sure is to franchise him.....

I don't think that will be required, he won't cost much to keep in all likelihood. I was speaking more to the point of trading him.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Injuries aren't an excuse but they are a factor. When your best pass rusher and best CB don't play it's going to show up on the field.

Having said that, the defense didn't tackle well or make enough plays all day long.
My point was thar Detroit was minus Riddick and Ebron or they might have put 40 on them yesterday.
Plus Levy and Ngata on D .

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People need to keep in mind while trashing the defense that this was Detroit we are talking about, their offense has been darned good. They have the NFL leading WR and 2 career Ram Killers as well.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/17/nfl-morning-after-let-them-celebrate/

Case Keenum is actually not bad. Keenum, the Rams’ starting quarterback and placeholder for No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff, had the best game of his career in Sunday’s loss to the Lions. Keenum completed 27 of 32 passes for 321 yards, with three touchdowns. Keenum may never be a great starting quarterback, or even a good starting quarterback. But he’s playing fairly well. The Rams have their share of problems, but Keenum is not one of them.

Psycho_X

Legend
All right, I've calmed down enough to dig out a few things.

The offensive play calling was truly magnificent most of the game. I still cringe every time they throw to TA at the sideline behind the los for no gain though. But they stretched the field both horizontally and vertically and they did it well. Lots of misdirection and well designed plays to not be completely predictable which they have been so far this season until now.

A lot of Rams on offense had their best games possibly ever in the NFL. Keenum until the end, Jamon Brown, possibly Kenny Britt (at least best game I can remember as a Ram).

Brian Quick finally looking like he deserves to be out there. Even during his three game splurge that everyone likes to point out a couple of games before he got injured years ago he didn't really look all that great frankly. He never fought for the ball, he was always tentative and sluggish on his routes, and has had hands of stone his whole career including this preseason. But he seems to have come alive finally. The imminent threat of his career being over may have helped I don't know. But if he keeps doing what he's doing he'll stay around a bit longer.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Gotta say after this weekend's ass-kicking I took with my teams, I had to tie a steak around my neck so the dog would play with me.