Anti-vent thread Rams v Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I really don't feel like venting. I'd rather talk to people who can control their emotions and discuss some of the things we can improve upon. Feel free to join in. I'd like to have a little corner of this site for rational discussion, even if it's just for a few minutes.

1. Case had a phenomenal game. That last pass that resulted in a pick was a 50/50 play, but I guess it was ill-advised considering it was such tight coverage. I'm guessing (since I can't rewind it) that the Lions were taking away the sidelines.

2. SOMEBODY has to step up at corner if we're going to be without Trumaine or Gaines or both. I know they're trying to find a replacement, but Sensabaugh wasn't it. Hill wasn't it. Maybe Gratz is the guy, I don't know. If we're going to be weak back there, though, then we're gonna have to dial up more exotic blitzes and find a way to bring consistent pressure.

3. Defenses are backing off now that they see Case isn't a "noodle arm" as many of our posters here at ROD would describe. He made some great timing throws and can hit the deep pass. This should continue to give Gurley more running lanes and more opportunities. That said, Cunningham was given a bigger load in this game. I'm wondering if the coaches are seeing something they don't like in Gurley himself.

4. Nice to see Britt have a career-type of game. He was due. And he's fighting HARD for those extra yards. Good example for the young guys coming in. He's showing what it means to be the guy.

5. Maybe it's time for Goff, maybe it isn't. His pre-season play left me with lingering doubts about whether he could have the type of game Keenum just had, but we won't know until he gets his shot. As good as Keenum played, I think maybe it's time to find out. That said, NO WAY Fisher pulls the plug on Case after a game like that. Unless he thinks that Case can't be clutch when it counts. But I doubt that too, because the've come from behind twice with him under center, so.... who knows.

6. Really missing Quinn back there. I think this isn't even close if he plays.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The offense played very well today. I was shocked.

Britt and pretty much all of our receivers were awesome.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, I actually don't feel bad about our offensive players. And I think they executed our hodgepodge scheme pretty well.

I was encouraged to find that Keenum is finding his confidence and is actually getting better each week. That's encouraging.

In a Dream Scenario, we'd have spent the off-season implementing the Perkins/Earhardt offense and had these struggles while Goff learned in THAT... and with our current offensive personnel, we'd be set up to become DOMINANT once they got that system down... especially once Goff took the reins (presuming he's all he's advertised. I'm going to assume he is because...why not?)

That said, yeah, GW is gonna have to figure out something on the back end.

Oh, and PROPS to the LB Forrest. Young man was ballin. He's a FIND. Now we just need some of these DBs to step up in the same way...

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
You know. The way life works. Light at the end of the tunnel. Lets give this team time to adjust. But the clock is ticking. Lets just do what we got to start winning games.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Definitely give props to Groh for improving our passing game. Waiting to see what we're capable of once Goff is mentally ready under center.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The offense played very well today. I was shocked.

Britt and pretty much all of our receivers were awesome.
I guess the fantasy guys were right when they said to play Case today. lol. I liked how he spread the ball around and gave everyone a taste. That should continue, but to be honest, that was a fairly cake defense he was throwing against. It's really unfortunate ours couldn't come to play today, but I understand the injuries are forcing them to play some guys who maybe aren't quite ready to step in right away. At full strength, this game isn't even close, IMO. But, credit to Detroit and Stafford for doing what they should do against a defense short on playmakers. They called a good game.

The worst part was giving Zenner so much room to run, but that's what happens when the pass is working so well.
Can't commit equally to both the run and pass when you're not at full strength.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the absense of Robert Quinn is understated for us. Our entire defense is built around our defensive line...they Dominate and it has a trickle down effect for the rest of our defense making their jobs easier. The thing that makes our D Line special is Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn playing together. If you don't double Aaron Donald your qb ends up on his back evert time. That leaves Quinn 1 on 1 and he's going to win way more times than not when he's not doubled. With this dynamic duo on the field it can cover up a lot of other deficiencies we may have. Tru jo being out also hurt but we need Quinn back in a big way

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Definitely give props to Groh for improving our passing game. Waiting to see what we're capable of once Goff is mentally ready under center.
I can't imagine it would be much different. It would be hard for him to have a better game than that one.
We'll have to see what this looks like against a better defense, though. This might have been deceiving.
Not taking anything away from Case, however. He took advantage of what they were giving him all game.

Ellard80

Legend
Without Robert Quinn our defense is average at best... but its scary how much one guy makes such a difference.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think the absense of Robert Quinn is understated for us.
Yep. I imagine if Quinn was in there, we would have seen many more stunts with him darting right up the A gaps.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Play calling was awesome today Keenum had a great game but I think you are right he seems to struggle when clutch time comes first read throws every time.

Injuries hurt us or this would have been a blowout IMO. No pressure and no coverage don't mix

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Offense consistently moved the ball and finished in the redzone. Pick at the end ruined an otherwise career game from Case. Quick, Britt, and Austin are forming a legit WR core supplemented by solid contributions from Kendricks and the RBs.

Underrated hero Jamon Brown. Ha outplayed Wichman by a wide margin that RG spot should be his for the rest of the season.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Love the fact that we have an aerial game, Case had a stormer, that last INT wasn't all on him. Britt had an amazing game, love the fact that one of our receivers had over 100 yards in a game AND a couple of TDs. Some lovely throwing of the rock today too - shame he hasn't got a good arm... oh wait... (y)

Bruce2980

Starter
I thought that the offensive play calling was very good today as well, not sure what happened on the 4th and goal with Gurley getting stacked up by four defenders in the backfield. Brown pulled to the left leaving a gaping hole? But other than that play, wow, great offense.
This team is close, very close, I hope that they keep their confidence, they should after that offensive performance. This sure was an emotional roller coaster of a game.

FRO

Legend
On point 2, it's hard to come up with quality players in the middle of the season. The Rams lost a lot of secondary depth in the offseason and it takes time to develop new depth.

This game isn't on the offense. The defense just isn't as good as previous years. Its going to take time to develop guys to step in and replace the departed players.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
2. SOMEBODY has to step up at corner if we're going to be without Trumaine or Gaines or both. I know they're trying to find a replacement, but Sensabaugh wasn't it. Hill wasn't it. Maybe Gratz is the guy, I don't know. If we're going to be weak back there, though, then we're gonna have to dial up more exotic blitzes and find a way to bring consistent pressure.

I actually thought Hill could be that guy, but boy was I wrong.

It is not going to be Gratz. The fact Jacksonville let him go is telling.

Bottom line: we have no depth in the secondary. As soon as one of Tru or Gaines goes down, we just don't have the personnel to defend any sort of passing attack effectively. We need depth. Until that happens, any passing game will destroy us if we are anything but 100% healthy*.

We also don't have a safety on the roster that excels at defending the pass.

With no prime draft picks to build our depth, free agency is going to determine the direction of this team in the short-term as we look to bolster our passing defense. We need signings like Britt and Hayes. Not like Sensabaugh.

I'd actually consider moving Joyner outside at this point. He has not looked great in that role. But I think he might be our best alternative...

*The one thing that could let us succeed even with injuries in the secondary is our defensive line dominating so thoroughly and consistently to mask the secondary's limitations. But without Robert Quinn, that isn't going to happen either.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
On point 2, it's hard to come up with quality players in the middle of the season. The Rams lost a lot of secondary depth in the offseason and it takes time to develop new depth.
Agree. Let's hope it doesn't get 2011 bad.
Maybe Al Harris is still in game shape.
In fact, I'll bet he is. Dude was ripped at his age.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
We can at least hope both the Hawks and cardinals lose so we will be in first! Right? All 3 wins and we beat them both.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Case Keenam had a great game (minus that last throw). What hurt us most was all the injuries on defense. Guys coming in and not sure of their assignments. Hopefully we get Quinn, Brokers, and Tru back by next week.