Anthony Barr

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tonyl711

Starter
I wouldn't mind seeing a LB corp of Ogltree, JL and Barr, I think GW would go love to have Ogletree and Barr to use for blitzes.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If Barr was there at 13 he would have to get really strong consideration. Forget the 3-4 crap, it's not a issues with him and how he will be schemed into Williams system.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Barr was there at 13 he would have to get really strong consideration. Forget the 3-4 crap, it's not a issues with him and how he will be schemed into Williams system.

I wouldn't mind seeing a LB corp of Ogltree, JL and Barr, I think GW would go love to have Ogletree and Barr to use for blitzes.

our opponents wouldn't be ready for that fellas, lol. Scary!

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a big fan of Anthony Barr....but not sure if he's a good fit for us at the moment.

be nice to have him but we have other needs too.

I agree, hes not a big need at the moment. But if hes there a little later and our other options are off the board, you can bet I'm pulling the trigger on this kid. I think hes going to be a big deal. (y)

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'm not a big fan of Barr. Freakish athlete but he's more an athlete than a football player at this point. Too much of a finesse guy. When I watched him play, I thought he lacked power and didn't display much of an anchor. When you combine that with him lacking pass rush moves at this stage and a strong punch, he was a 1-dimensional player that didn't look good when he couldn't win with his speed. Wouldn't shock me if he turns out like Manny Lawson. A guy that ends up being a solid OLB in the NFL but never becomes a major pass rusher because he definitely has the cover skills, range and quick-twitch athleticism.

Not sure how much you "watched" him play but if you feel "he's more an athlete than a football player" then I'll have to respectfully disagree.
As someone who has watched Bruin football more years than I'd like to let on, I can assure you that Anthony Barr is a football player and not only that, he's a "head in the game" smart football player, the type that bats down a interception (example) in a tight game on 4th down in lieu of costing his team 30 yards. Opposing offenses you can be sure game planned around him.

To me he's a mid first round pick tho I'd definitely consider him at 13. Pretty much a Von Miller type player (not that he'll ever be)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My problem with Barr isn't his athleticism or abilities on the field for the most part. The problem I have with Barr is that I think he is going to attract yellow hankies. The guy leads with his helmet way too much for my liking. And I'm not sure that you can keep the same intensity and teach him proper technique.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure how much you "watched" him play but if you feel "he's more an athlete than a football player" then I'll have to respectfully disagree.
As someone who has watched Bruin football more years than I'd like to let on, I can assure you that Anthony Barr is a football player and not only that, he's a "head in the game" smart football player, the type that bats down a interception (example) in a tight game on 4th down in lieu of costing his team 30 yards. Opposing offenses you can be sure game planned around him.

To me he's a mid first round pick tho I'd definitely consider him at 13. Pretty much a Von Miller type player (not that he'll ever be)

A good amount. As far as putting watched in quote form, you're barking up the wrong tree on that one.

And when I say that, I don't mean the guy is stupid or lacks awareness. I mean he isn't technically sound. His game relies on his athleticism rather than football skill and technique. I stand by that 110%.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
A good amount. As far as putting watched in quote form, you're barking up the wrong tree on that one.

And when I say that, I don't mean the guy is stupid or lacks awareness. I mean he isn't technically sound. His game relies on his athleticism rather than football skill and technique. I stand by that 110%.

First allow me to clear up that it wasn't my intention to be rude (the forum quote thing) just a poor effort I guess in zeroing in on the matter, I can see (now) perhaps that wasn't the best way.

As for the content, I'm sure you know the story, Barr thru his sophmore season was a back up running back, my point is it would stand to reason he isn't technically sound yet (hence mid 1st round, not top 10) There's no doubt you are correct in that assessment, however I would consider that between athleticism, football skill & technique 2 of the 3 can be coached up.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Barr ran a 4.45 electronically timed 40 at his pro day, improved on his reps to 19, and ran a spectacular 3 cone. He also improved on his broad jump. He measured at 6' 5" 249 lbs. Skeptical about his time? Gil Brandt had him at 4.41, and 4.49. UCLA is my college team, and let me tell you, this kid is extremely disruptive, but needs some coaching--only been playing that side of the field for two years.

Bucky Brooks recently took on the debate, and he thinks Barr has Pro Bowl caliber ability, and his man vs machine series has his numbers comparable to Demarcus Ware. Brooks has Barr rated over Mack, which he also evaluated in the same series. Don't know if this info is out there on this board, but the reason that I post it, is because he might be available at #13.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2014/03/14/anthony-barr-runs-4-41-and-4-49-40s-at-uclas-pro-day/

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't want him even if he is available at #13. FS or CB.
I don't either, really, but I love him as a prospect. I think he will be better on a 3-4 team, but our DC would put him in position to make plays.

Alan

Legend
DR RAM with this:
I don't either, really, but I love him as a prospect. I think he will be better on a 3-4 team, but our DC would put him in position to make plays.
You like him better than Mack? I think Mack is a better fit in a 4-3 than Barr but it's only from what I've read.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Barr is a stud and I would be happy to have him in horns. I agree we need DB help more due to a below average starting defensive backfield however we are very shallow at LB although are starters at LB are better as a group than are starters at DB.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You like him better than Mack? I think Mack is a better fit in a 4-3 than Barr but it's only from what I've read.
I do like him better than Mack, but to each his own. They will both be very good players in the right system. I've seen Barr more, and think he has a higher ceiling, but is ready to make impact plays. The kid makes BIG plays, game changing plays.