Anthony Barr

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The guys on Sirius sat down with a lot of players yesterday and were raving about Barr and Mack. They said they can see right through a phony interview and Barr and Mack were impressive. Then they said Clowney was not, they thought he was all about branding himself and not genuine. They indirectly called Clowney a phony. Scared the heck out of me. I wouldn't risk taking Clowney, especially since we have no need to.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The guys on Sirius sat down with a lot of players yesterday and were raving about Barr and Mack. They said they can see right through a phony interview and Barr and Mack were impressive. Then they said Clowney was not, they thought he was all about branding himself and not genuine. They indirectly called Clowney a phony. Scared the heck out of me. I wouldn't risk taking Clowney, especially since we have no need to.

That's interesting, I'll have to see if I can listen or watch that video. I was thinking about the people who want to take Clowney, What if Barr was swapped to DE? I think he can adjust being that he was able to do it from HB to LB and a damned good LB I will say, pretty impressive. I think this kids going to be a stud!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
That's interesting, I'll have to see if I can listen or watch that video. I was thinking about the people who want to take Clowney, What if Barr was swapped to DE? I think he can adjust being that he was able to do it from HB to LB and a damned good LB I will say, pretty impressive. I think this kids going to be a stud!

I heard the Barr and Clowney interviews. Barr was much more impressive. Clowney was saying things like he could have played in the NFL coming out of HS. Then blasting Spurrier, saying coach told him not to hit anyone in practice cause he would hurt them. Just crazy talk by Clowney.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The only interviews I'm interested in are the ones between the players and the rams. They are the only ones that matter. Plus the background checks.

…..

Legend
I'm a big fan of Anthony Barr....but not sure if he's a good fit for us at the moment.

be nice to have him but we have other needs too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a big fan of Barr. Freakish athlete but he's more an athlete than a football player at this point. Too much of a finesse guy. When I watched him play, I thought he lacked power and didn't display much of an anchor. When you combine that with him lacking pass rush moves at this stage and a strong punch, he was a 1-dimensional player that didn't look good when he couldn't win with his speed. Wouldn't shock me if he turns out like Manny Lawson. A guy that ends up being a solid OLB in the NFL but never becomes a major pass rusher because he definitely has the cover skills, range and quick-twitch athleticism.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I saw the same thing in his press conference. I'm beginning to feel the same. I don't think i want any part of this kid.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People over-analyze the heck out of things. I remember people claiming after watching Gruden QB Camp that they preferred Clausen over Sam because Sam seemed to have an attitude and seemed insincere whereas Clausen was taking notes and wanted to learn.

Some other players called insincere?
Cam Newton:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14744150/a-nice-smile-cant-cover-up-newtons-insincerity

Dez Bryant:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oesnt-think-suspension-will-hurt-draft-stock/

Frankly, I don't care if Clowney was insincere or arrogant. If the guy can play football, he can play football.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
People over-analyze the heck out of things. I remember people claiming after watching Gruden QB Camp that they preferred Clausen over Sam because Sam seemed to have an attitude and seemed insincere whereas Clausen was taking notes and wanted to learn.

Cam Newton:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14744150/a-nice-smile-cant-cover-up-newtons-insincerity

Dez Bryant:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...oesnt-think-suspension-will-hurt-draft-stock/

Frankly, I don't care if Clowney was insincere or arrogant. If the guy can play football, he can play football.

That's a good point on Newton. I thought he was a phony, and he did have a problem with his attitude in 2012, but he overcame it.

But I saw that Bradford bit with Gruden and he didn't sound insincere, he was a bit quite.

Dez has a different deal. He's not a phony. He's a head case with a very tough background. Different story.

But the big issue that compounds Clowney's situation is he had a disappointing season and his HC was not complimentary of his work ethic.

Boylhart had Dez, Cam, and Sam as guys he would draft in the first round.

Here's Drew on Cam...
There is no doubt about this kid's ability to be a franchise player at the next level. As long as you have done your homework and are satisfied as to why the FBI is investigating this situation (and that it's not gambling related), then by all means, making this kid the first pick in this draft is not a reach. But you do have to wonder why the FBI has involved themselves in this situation and exactly what happened at Florida. Also, consider this...Cam is not the only potentially great player in this draft. Some people have compared Cam to Tim Tebow. This is no comparison. Cam is by far more athletic and even, at this stage, a better pure QB. However, that just brings me back to the Florida concerns. Cam is better than Tim, but Urban wanted Tim over Cam? If I could be satisfied with all the questions that I have about Cam and the off field allegations, I would not hesitate to draft him as the very first pick of this draft. Cam has that infectious way about him that just drags you into his circle of love. He is a marketing dream come true for just about any franchise. He is very smart on and off the field and he knows how to win. Cam's smile and joy when playing football reminds me a lot of Shannon Sharpe (former TE Ravens/ Broncos). They play different positions, but they play their positions with the same passion, intelligence and drive. Personally, I hope all these allegations are not true and this kid goes on to have a great career because it would be a shame if anything happened to tarnish what should be an excellent career at the next level. Remember, this is not a matter of giving Cam an award. This is a matter of handing him (and perhaps his family) millions of dollars and all of them having the maturity, honesty and responsibility to handle it. When you draft Cam, you draft everyone involved with Cam. I call him Cam (Daddy Makes Two) Newton. You guessed it!
Round 1

Not so with Clowney. He said he wouldn't take him until the 2nd round.

Jadeveon is the type of player who coaches think that his greatness is just “one more” play away. He lacks the maturity right now to understand that he needs to get a lot better before he will impact at the next level. If he is holding back because he doesn’t want to get injured like some people are suggesting, all I can say is drafting that type of person is not for me. I mean seriously, is that the type of player you want to draft in the top ten? A player who decides when he wants to play and when he doesn’t? Is that the type of player (if selected in the top ten) you build your defense around? There is no doubt about his athletic talent, but there are big doubts for me about a player who lacks the maturity and work ethic to improve and be a team player and do the little things that makes his team’s defense better. Maybe two years from now, Jadeveon will mature and turn into a great player. But if I’m a top ten team, I’m building for now and not for two years from now. If I’m a playoff team with strong coaching, I might take a chance on drafting him in the first round but still if I’m putting my credibility and career on the line for a player, I’m not convinced Jadeveon is that player. It seems to me drafting him in the second round might be the best for Jadeveon, his future team, and my career. Trust me -- there is always another player who may not have the natural athletic talents, but plays better and more consistent on the field on every down. I will say this, when Jadeveon sees a pass rushing situation, he works very hard to get into the backfield to sack the QB and in spite of his athletic talents, still doesn’t get the job done. Think about it. Jadeveon is a boom or bust player, it’s really that simple.
Round 2

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a good point on Newton. I thought he was a phony, and he did have a problem with his attitude in 2012, but he overcame it.

But I saw that Bradford bit with Gruden and he didn't sound insincere, he was a bit quite.

Dez has a different deal. He's not a phony. He's a head case with a very tough background. Different story.

Clowney's background wasn't exactly Mercedes and trust funds either. His biological father has been in prison most of Clowney's life and his family isn't exactly wealthy. Through my limited interaction with him, he's never seemed like a bad guy. And I do have a friend whose family is quite close with his. Might be a little bit arrogant(hard to blame him) and immature...but not a bad kid.

But the big issue that compounds Clowney's situation is he had a disappointing season and his HC was not complimentary of his work ethic.

I think a lot of people don't really know Spurrier well so they overreact to his comments. People are so used to coach talk that they assume Spurrier means more than he did. Spurrier is unbelievably candid for a college HC. He's blunt, he's honest and he's going to tell it like it is. Some like it, some don't. I remember when he ripped Stephen Garcia a new one before the 2010 season when he was still our starting QB. He ripped our offensive line and the OL Coach later on that year before the Alabama game. He ripped on Connor Shaw and the offense after the 2011 season. The guy isn't going to go out and blow smoke up your behind about SC players. If Clowney was a lazy bum that didn't care, Spurrier would say so.

Instead, he said that Clowney's work ethic and motor were okay. They weren't on the level of guys like Lattimore and Ingram. I think we can all pretty much agree with that. Lattimore and Ingram were both extremely high motor and hardworking guys. Clowney has a hot and cold motor...much like Julius Peppers. But Spurrier never said the guy doesn't put in effort or is lazy. He just simply said what we all pretty much knew. Clowney's work ethic and motor are okay but not great.

Boylhart had Dez, Cam, and Sam as guys he would draft in the first round.

Here's Drew on Cam...

Not so with Clowney. He said he wouldn't take him until the 2nd round.

I respect Drew's opinion. I know he puts in the work but so do I. And I am very confident in my own opinion. Especially on SC players because I've seen every game they've played in their college careers. Drew is welcome to his opinion but I vehemently disagree. Clowney may not be the hardest worker. He may not have the hottest motor. But he also isn't a guy that doesn't care. He's worth a top 3 selection. Freakish athlete and he has a passion for the game. Give him the right coaches and let him mature a little bit and he'll be a great DE. I'd draft him at #2 if I were a GM...and that's really putting your neck on the chopping block because missing on a player at #2 can get you fired.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Clowney's background wasn't exactly Mercedes and trust funds either. His biological father has been in prison most of Clowney's life and his family isn't exactly wealthy. Through my limited interaction with him, he's never seemed like a bad guy. And I do have a friend whose family is quite close with his. Might be a little bit arrogant(hard to blame him) and immature...but not a bad kid.

I think a lot of people don't really know Spurrier well so they overreact to his comments. People are so used to coach talk that they assume Spurrier means more than he did. Spurrier is unbelievably candid for a college HC. He's blunt, he's honest and he's going to tell it like it is. Some like it, some don't. I remember when he ripped Stephen Garcia a new one before the 2010 season when he was still our starting QB. He ripped our offensive line and the OL Coach later on that year before the Alabama game. He ripped on Connor Shaw and the offense after the 2011 season. The guy isn't going to go out and blow smoke up your behind about SC players. If Clowney was a lazy bum that didn't care, Spurrier would say so.

Instead, he said that Clowney's work ethic and motor were okay. They weren't on the level of guys like Lattimore and Ingram. I think we can all pretty much agree with that. Lattimore and Ingram were both extremely high motor and hardworking guys. Clowney has a hot and cold motor...much like Julius Peppers. But Spurrier never said the guy doesn't put in effort or is lazy. He just simply said what we all pretty much knew. Clowney's work ethic and motor are okay but not great.

I respect Drew's opinion. I know he puts in the work but so do I. And I am very confident in my own opinion. Especially on SC players because I've seen every game they've played in their college careers. Drew is welcome to his opinion but I vehemently disagree. Clowney may not be the hardest worker. He may not have the hottest motor. But he also isn't a guy that doesn't care. He's worth a top 3 selection. Freakish athlete and he has a passion for the game. Give him the right coaches and let him mature a little bit and he'll be a great DE. I'd draft him at #2 if I were a GM...and that's really putting your neck on the chopping block because missing on a player at #2 can get you fired.

I respect your viewpoint.

My main concern is that you are taking Clowney at the very top of the draft, and there are more questions about his heart than you want. It's a legitimate risk. And as the late great George Young said, "you can't cut them open to see how big their heart is."

BTW, I'm going down to Charleston, SC in April. Any recommendations?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I respect your viewpoint.

My main concern is that you are taking Clowney at the very top of the draft, and there are more questions about his heart than you want. It's a legitimate risk. And as the late great George Young said, "you can't cut them open to see how big their heart is."

BTW, I'm going down to Charleston, SC in April. Any recommendations?

Sorry. I don't know the Charleston area at all. Have only been there once in my life. I think there's someone on here from Charleston though. Can't remember who.

On Clowney, those same concerns have existed with other prospects. Generally, I let play dictate it for me. With some guys, I hammered them for it(Dwight Jones is an example) and with others, I didn't think it was going to stop them from succeeding. With Clowney, I don't think it'll stop him from succeeding.

…..

Legend
I'm not a big fan of Barr. Freakish athlete but he's more an athlete than a football player at this point. Too much of a finesse guy. When I watched him play, I thought he lacked power and didn't display much of an anchor. When you combine that with him lacking pass rush moves at this stage and a strong punch, he was a 1-dimensional player that didn't look good when he couldn't win with his speed. Wouldn't shock me if he turns out like Manny Lawson. A guy that ends up being a solid OLB in the NFL but never becomes a major pass rusher because he definitely has the cover skills, range and quick-twitch athleticism.

Talk about over analyzing? lol Come on Jerry you're trying way too hard.

I saw penetration. Lots of it. And instincts. And turnovers. And field awareness. And a ton of sacks for a guy with no pass rushing moves. You really missed all that?

95% of those highlights were of him in the backfield, not in coverage.

Remember too....Robert Quinn doesn't run over anyone. His sacks are speed related.

The two UCLA games I saw this year, Barr DOMINATED the game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Talk about over analyzing? lol Come on Jerry you're trying way too hard.

I saw penetration. Lots of it. And instincts. And turnovers. And field awareness. And a ton of sacks for a guy with no pass rushing moves. You really missed all that?

95% of those highlights were of him in the backfield, not in coverage.

Remember too....Robert Quinn doesn't run over anyone. His sacks are speed related.

The two UCLA games I saw this year, Barr DOMINATED the game.

I saw the guy get blown up and driven off the LOS by TEs.

Those are also highlights for a pass rushing OLB...so of course he'll be in the back-field a lot on them. I've broken down some of the games which led me to my opinion.

Robert Quinn can run over people. He can stand up his man and hold his ground in the running game. Plus, he has pass rush moves...his moves improving is a big reason why he really took off this year.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
CJ Mosely may be a better fit than Barr. I'd love to see Mack drop to #13 but I doubt it.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Huge Fan, I think he has more upside than even Mack but a little more of a project.
His coaches say he learns fast as is eager to get better. There is no other lb in this draft that gets to the qb like him.
Watch him dip his shoulder and turn into the qb it's Quinn like.
I watched him here in LA several time and didn't get that jrry. I do see your points but think the frequency is exaggerated a bit. He could use to anchor better yes, He is a speed rusher like Quinn was but is developing moves Look at the sack totals it worked. Having only played LB 2 years does leave him a little exposed in coverage probably do to the coaches coaching up his natural rushing ability and not having enough time to work on all the fundamentals.
It's a little Matthews V Robinson one is more polished and ready and one appears to be more athletic with greater upside. In the case of Barr I believe it is due to the new position not to mention offense to defense is a pretty big change to adapt to and be so successful especially at this level.

Last edited:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Mack is going top 8.

We'd have to trade up to get him with our 2nd pick.

Hmmm... not in favor of that. IDK, though. I wonder if he's worth it.

We COULD get Lewan at 13 but I'd say his stock has went up considerably. OT's tend to do that when they flash athleticism.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Cam Newton:

Dez Bryant:

Clowney comes off to me as if he has a chip on his shoulder. He's a little "fuck you" to the media, but I don't really care about that. Everyone's been talking shit, and he could care less. He's out to prove something.

The MAJOR thing that does stand out to me in all his interviews, is that he never praises himself, it's always about the team. "I only care about wins not stats." "They changed gameplaning because of the strength of our defensive line." Gave praise to other teammates, etc. There's no me.